Username
Password

05:17 PM on 12/19/08 
User Info.
tbirdted
microwavetheband.bandcamp .com
Woodstock, GA
Male
So I'm doing some routine maintenance on my AC30 after having some problems blowing fuses. I figured why not do some research and see if there is anything better than the stock tubes. Right now, its got Tung Sol 12AX7 tubes. Does anybody have any experience with these? Do you prefer a different tube or have any other suggestions? Thanks!
12:21 AM on 12/20/08 
User Info.
The Boathouse
Austin
The Bronx, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Tung sols are definitely solid 12ax7's. A lot of it depends on what you're shooting for tonally. I've had good luck with reissue Mullards. They have very bell-like high mids and the treble is round, not harsh. Keep in mind that your V1 position is going to have the biggest impact, tonally. I currently switched out my 12ax7 in my amp for a 12at7 to lower the gain, giving me more clean headroom, and I think, sweeter cleans and overdrive.

I'd recommend buying a few types of preamp tubes, see what you like. You really only need to change the V1 tube to make a really serious difference right away, so just buy one of each and see what you like. I recommend thetubestore.com
02:50 PM on 12/20/08 
User Info.
mylastflight
No Avatar Selected
Northampton, MA
Male
i like JJs. Vox takes the same tubes as mine, el84, i like JJs, Eis. and pre amp def. tungsol and JJs
Rec tubes currently im using JJs, but replacing with Nos soon.
07:27 PM on 12/21/08 
User Info.
patrickhowell
myspace.com/someonejustlikeyou
Lynchburg, VA
Male - 30 Years Old
I'm into JJ tubes. If you're not using the Vibe/Trem channel, then you have a lot less to worry about, three of the preamp tubes - 2 12ax7's and the 12au7 - are specific to that channel.

Also, what power tubes are you using? JJ's EL84's are great.
07:28 PM on 12/21/08 
User Info.
patrickhowell
myspace.com/someonejustlikeyou
Lynchburg, VA
Male - 30 Years Old
I'd recommend buying a few types of preamp tubes, see what you like. You really only need to change the V1 tube to make a really serious difference right away, so just buy one of each and see what you like. I recommend thetubestore.com

Can't forget the phase inverter; that rivals V1 for most important.
10:16 PM on 12/21/08 
User Info.
splitsecond
Augustine / Evan
Arizona
Male
Verified
I love the Tung Sol 12ax7's. I want to put some gold pin's in my AD30, but I think my brother may end up commandeering it, so I am not spending any more money.

I have had good success with both Groove Tubes and JJ's in the past, the trick is looking them up (google is your friend) to find out what each tube does, and compare it to what sound you are going for. Some tubes will be much more brittle and harsh sounding (EH's and Sovteks in my experience) and some will be much warmer and smoother.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos