|« Back to Articles|
|Tyler (lead vocals)|
Top Albums of 2008
10) Driver F - Chase the White Album (HEY, its a good album, nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back!)
9) T.I. - Paper Trail (King of the South, nuff said. Plus how many times did I hear "Whatever You Like" in my freaking car!?!)
8) Bridge & Tunnel - East/West (A great album to fill the musical void left by the great band Latterman)
7) Jaguar Love - Take Me to the Sea ( When I first heard of this project I was really skeptical. Generally break-off bands of amazing original acts never truly capture the essence that made the previous band so great. Somehow these guys got damn close and it sounds amazing)
6) Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cardinology (Does a day pass without Ryan Adams writing an amazing song? Does a year pass without Ryan Adams delivering 5 albums? The answer to both of these must be no, but this is his best since Easy, Tiger...then again that was last year.
5) Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound (The Boss? check. Classic Jersey Sound? check. The album The Killers wanted Sam's Town to be? check, but not even in the same universe of greatness. Yeah, I said it.)
4) Third Eye Blind - Red Star EP (Ok not an album, but I've never in my life been more excited to hear an EP with three songs. And say what you will about 3EB, but they are pop geniuses and if you can make a catchy melody to the lyrics of "young gay republicans"...well I'm sold.
3) Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak (Kanye = genius. How do you top a number one selling album in 2007? Do it again in 2008, and make sure it sounds like nothing you've ever done before. An artist that refuses to be placed in a mold, yet at the same time never sacrifices good songwriting for art. Don't worry Yeezy, you would get plenty of trophies at my award show!)
2) Forgive Durden - Razia's Shadow (Brilliant. It has depth, it's genre-bending, incredibly musical, catchy, innovative and visionary, and was incredibly difficult to make. Yeah, I think that's enough to get the 2 spot. LET THE LAMPS SHINE!)
1) Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III (I didn't want to believe the hype. I thought he was some sub-par, mumbling alien with dreadlocks and an everpresent styrofoam cup. Then I heard Tha Carter III. He's in his own world (in several aspects) and nobody in hip-hop is pushing the genre like him. His recording output tops even Ryan Adams and his lyrical wordplay, delivery, beats, and showmanship are second to none. Only album to sell a million (a milli) units in one week this year and the top selling album of the year. Make no mistake, this isn't run of the mill gangsta rap featuring Akon on every single track. This is an artist at his peak redefining an entire genre.
Overall, in my opinion, 2008 was a weak year for music. Most of the albums I really fell in love with besides these, were older albums I discovered a tad late. 2009 betta bring it!
12:10 AM on 12/29/08
these are not just mountains
I'd like to know which DF-man wrote this
I'm going to go with Tyler?
12:55 AM on 12/29/08
The DF record is great, made it on my list, so i guess it's good enough to be on theirs!
09:39 AM on 12/29/08
I read more maps than books
10:06 AM on 12/29/08
More people need to listen to this band and album. Great stuff.
10:28 AM on 12/29/08
Awesome band and awesome list.
10:42 AM on 12/29/08
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
01:20 PM on 12/29/08
these are not just mountains
did you add his name at the top or did I just miss it?
12:36 AM on 12/30/08
chase the white whale is one of my favorite albums of this year, definitely.
12:43 AM on 12/30/08
It was there the whole time, haha.