Password

Album Review

Thrice - Live at the House of Blues Album Cover

Thrice - Live at the House of Blues

Reviewed by
ThriceLive At The House Of Blues
Release Date: December 9, 2008
Record Label: Vagrant
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
I’ve always been a fan of live albums. It’s fun and interesting to hear your favorite band play a selection of tracks and pick up on how a certain song is played live. Added effects, crowd interaction, and extended intros and outros are ever-present, while the difference between the produced album version of a song and its live (albeit somewhat produced) interpretation. And when it is a band like Thrice, with their collection of tracks that span many genres, my ears become giddy. The Orange County quartet have finally added the live album to its rolodex, a two-disc epic showcasing 25 tracks that span from the early days (The Illusion of Safety to the more recent Alchemy Index. Recorded and filmed at The House of Blues in Anaheim, California, it is an intimate yet intense showcase of Thrice’s stellar catalog.

The opening transition between the acoustic “The Lion and The Wolf” into the fire and brimstone of “Firebreather” starts the live show perfectly. The use of standard drums instead of programmed ones on “Digital Sea” gives the track a more raw, personal feel, as well as “Open Water,” as the emotion pours out of Dustin Kensrue’s mouth. The triple-threat attack of “The Artist In The Ambulance,” “Trust,” and “Cold Cash For Colder Hearts” absolutely knock you on your ass, as Thrice proves they can still melt your face. The audio capture on these two discs is fantastic, as the passion and intensity is pristine on tracks such as “Broken Lungs” and “Stare At The Sun.” “Silhouette” and “Daedalus” aren’t players, but they sure do crush a lot. “Deadbolt” is the best live capture on the discs, firing the crowd into a frenzy as the band dominates on stage. The extended outro is a nice touch, and is definitely my highlight.

The visual portion of this collection is the breadwinner though. The camera angles, lights, and audio are stunning, and create an experience you must see. If you haven’t had the opportunity to see Thrice live yet, this is your second best chance to do so. The various interviews given by the band members rounds out the DVD into a nice, complete package that you cannot miss out on.

The bottom line here is Thrice is still one of the best bands in the scene, and Live At The House Of Blues continues to prove this. This collection is a treat for the senses, and if you are a Thrice fan, you already own this. I recommend this for the casual fan as well, because after watching the live DVD, you just may be hooked on Thrice for good.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
Disc One
1. The Lion And The Wolf
2. Firebreather
3. The Messenger
4. Of Dust And Nations
5. Digital Sea
6. Flags Of Dawn
7. Burn The Fleet
8. Open Water
9. The Earth Isn’t Humming
10. The Artist In The Ambulance
11. Trust
12. Cold Cash And Colder Hearts
Disc Two
1. Broken Lungs
2. The Whaler
3. All That’s Left
4. Silhouette
5. Come All You Weary
6. Stare At The Sun
7. Daedalus
8. Don’t Tell And We Won’t Ask
9. Hold Fast Hope
10. For Miles
11. Red Sky
12. Deadbolt
13. The Earth Will Shake
Thrice is:
Dustin Kensrue – vocals/guitar
Teppei Teranishi – guitar
Eddie Breckenridge – bass
Riley Breckenridge – drums

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 74
08:54 AM on 12/22/08
hardpill
Get Well Incentive
User Info.
Identity Crisis live at the house of blues, plz
08:59 AM on 12/22/08
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
The poster above me is an idiot. Thrice has progressed so much from those days that they aren't even the same band anymore, they're much better. Get over T and C.

On that note, I love this dvd. Having seen Thrice live a ton of times, this really captures what their show feels like. Plus I've always wanted to have a good quality version of their extended Deadbolt.
09:06 AM on 12/22/08
heyozzie
It's evolution baby!
User Info.
i agree, this whole cd/dvd set is great. its a solid capture of an excellent live performance. i felt the exact same way when i listened to it drew, good work on the review. its just a real treat for thrice fans.
09:10 AM on 12/22/08
ACA
Next Show: Balance & Composure @ NY
User Info.
Identity Crisis is a good CD. But it's the band's weakest.. I'd much rather see newer material live.

This DVD is fantastic.. twenty-five songs is incredible for a band rooted in punk/hardcore. I'd challenge you to find any band in the same genre of Thrice that puts out a longer DVD.

The setlist is money, as well. With any setlist there's always a few songs "missing" ("Kill Me Quickly" FTW!) but the band does an excellent job of diving six years back into their catalog while also combining bsides and new material.

I'd recommend this DVD to anyone who enjoys this style of music, even if you're not familiar with Thrice. You might find your new favorite band.

-ACA
09:13 AM on 12/22/08
ACA
Next Show: Balance & Composure @ NY
User Info.
Also, Drew, nice review. I think you've come a long way in your reviewing ability.. it's a lot more mature.

-ACA
09:15 AM on 12/22/08
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
Why exactly did you rate the lyrics on this?
09:17 AM on 12/22/08
TheLoyalVox
www.thegreatdigression.tu mblr.com
User Info.
I've been listening to this constantly since I got it. Love it.
09:17 AM on 12/22/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Particularly good review. I remember seeing them live a while back, after Artist... came out. They were excellent then--from the nosebleed section--and I cant wait to get my hands on this and see how they've progressed live.
09:20 AM on 12/22/08
nashiscash1324
alright alright alright
User Info.
ya i was sitting on the fence on whether or not to pick this up...thanks for swaying my vote in the right direction!
09:20 AM on 12/22/08
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
I myself can never get into live recordings, but I would have loved to be at this show. The setlist is astonishing.
09:29 AM on 12/22/08
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, Drew, nice review. I think you've come a long way in your reviewing ability.. it's a lot more mature.

-ACA
“Silhouette” and “Daedalus” aren’t players, but they sure do crush a lot.
09:41 AM on 12/22/08
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
I think I may get this.
09:43 AM on 12/22/08
hardpill
Get Well Incentive
User Info.
You see what happens? You turn into a bunch of whiney cry babies.

Love the energy of that album.
09:54 AM on 12/22/08
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
that is one helluva track list, but i wish they had paper tigers on there....the drums and guitar work in that song are fantastic.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos