AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie

Reviewed by: Klatzke (12/23/08)
Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie
Record Label: Sub City Records
Release Date: March 6, 2007

As the one who has chosen to perform Kaddisfly's eulogy, I'm faced with an impossible task. How can I catalog the life of this great man, one that brought us such joy, and such innovative experiences? It's hard for many of us to think of Kaddisly's life as being over, I mean, we saw such little work from someone that seemed capable of so much. However, these things happen quite often, and we're just forced to salvage what was left for us. In Kaddisfly's case, we have his most cumulative work: Set Sail The Prairie.

Set Sail the Prairie is the perfect medium from which to explore the life of Kaddisly. While it went rather unnoticed, those that found this work seem to, as a majority, have found it not only great, but innovative and creative as well. For someone as progressive as Kaddisfly was, he managed to keep his ideas wrapped up in something that many people could still enjoy. During his time completing this brilliant work, Kaddisfly was blessed by many visitors. In Set Sail the Prairie, we saw how much of an impact Christopher Ruff's words pervaded into his life. In fact, in many places throughout this work that it may not have been the same had it not been for Ruff's sweet timbre echoing throughout his work. This piece was split into 14 distinct chapters, each carrying their own vibe (though they all carried Kaddisfly's progressive wisdom with them) and collectively expressed the ideas that we're so glad he shared.

What was possibly so compelling about Kaddisfly's Set Sail the Prairie was the many faces it seemed to take. One moment we saw him at his most collected. Cool and melodic, he echoed Ruff's words and added in the various instruments that made his ideas exert the brilliance that they did. However, it didn't take long to see Kaddisfly's temperament turn and see him flash us a guise that was far from the cool and collected being that had pieced together his other work. This face seemed more off-balance, but showed us a part of Kaddisfly that I, for one, couldn't do without. It was this scattered edginess that set him apart from the many others that did, and since have, attempted to make a piece this entertaining. Once we saw his mind working, we could be subjected to anything from crushing rhythms, such as in the chapter "Desember: Snowflakes," to the lulling and simple beauty of his words in the following chapter "Janvier: Via Rail." The others that had a huge part in his work deserve a mention as well. Kelsey Kuther and Aaron Tollefson were pulling and plucking the strings in the best of ways behind the scenes, and Beau Kuther always seemed to keep Kaddisly on beat. While we may not notice them as much as we do Ruff you can be sure that they provided a huge piece of what makes this such an excellent piece of art.

It's saddening to lose such a creative and exquisite man. While any loss to our ranks comes as a shock, except those that seem inhuman at best, when we lose someone as innovative as Kaddisfly, it's a completely different feeling. Though he never received he fame he deserved, those of us that knew of him have felt, and will continue to feel, the loss of him and his most monumental work Set Sail the Prairie every time we should come across it, whether purposefully or when just shuffling things around.

Recommended if You LikeMy Epic meets Lovedrug

myspace.com/kaddisfly

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
11:19 PM on 01/03/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
While the obvious puns are.. obvious.. there's one I'd like to point out.

where it says "those that seem inhuman at best" I'm actually talking about The Medic Droid's breakup.

Enjoy.
05:17 AM on 01/05/09
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
Such a great album. I hope we get to hear more of what they were working on before the hiatus... unless their new band are taking over that material maybe? Interesting slant with the review, it was an easy read.
07:33 PM on 01/05/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Such a great album. I hope we get to hear more of what they were working on before the hiatus... unless their new band are taking over that material maybe? Interesting slant with the review, it was an easy read.
There's no telling. I just thought it was a pretty creative way to review a band that's (basically) broken up. I'll look like a fool if they come out of it. haha.

How could I review the next one? "Alas! He has risen."
07:48 AM on 01/06/09
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
There's no telling. I just thought it was a pretty creative way to review a band that's (basically) broken up. I'll look like a fool if they come out of it. haha.

How could I review the next one? "Alas! He has risen."
Then we'd all give Easter eggs to celebrate them being a band again.
12:34 PM on 01/06/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Then we'd all give Easter eggs to celebrate them being a band again.
Exactly. And we'd need a rabbit..

Or maybe a duck..
12:00 AM on 01/08/09
ihavechappedlip
Vulgar Display of Balls
User Info.
I already miss them :(

Such an excellent album.
02:24 PM on 01/08/09
raychull
I've Been Forgotten & So Have You
User Info.
love this band, love this album. enough said.
11:31 PM on 01/25/13
recklesscogniti
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They just got back together.
10:44 AM on 01/26/13
ihavechappedlip
Vulgar Display of Balls
User Info.
Howww do you know this?
Options
More From This Author