Album Review
Artist Vs Poet - Artist Vs Poet EP Album Cover

Artist Vs Poet - Artist Vs Poet EP

Reviewed by
Artist Vs Poet - Artist Vs Poet EP
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: November 18, 2008
Who?

Artist Vs Poet are a quintet from Dallas, TX with a great name and music to match. The band consists of Tarcy Thomason - Vocals, Craig Calloway- Guitarist, Vocals, Joe Kirkland - Guitarist, Vocals, Joe Westbrook - Drummer, Jason Dean - Bassist. Artist Vs Poet is one of those bands that has great potential, but aren't promoted enough. They are signed to Fearless, a record label that includes great bands such as The Maine, Mayday Parade, and Every Avenue.

How is it?

Their eponymous EP displays how they should become as popular as their labelmates. "Runaway" is a really catchy song about escaping a situation, whether it be a relationship or a job, etc. I love the line "So open your eyes and shut those ears/ It's give or take and you can't please everyone." Next is "Assurance, Closure," which stands out because the background vocals are strong. The background vocals by Craig Calloway ans Joe Kirkland sound like Forever the Sickest Kids and Kenny Vasoli from The Starting Line. It's much better than the previous version of the song, which was too electronic. Third is "Lisa Marie" which has to be one of the sweetest songs ever. The chorus is amazing: "Lisa Marie I'm becoming more aware of the things that you do to me/ Lisa Marie together just you and me." The part when they sing Lisa Marie after the bridge is my favorite part (around 2:34-38). "Fallible Remedy" is kinda forgettable compared to the first three tracks. The last song is "All In," a sentimental song about the band traveling and missing their friends and family. Tarcy's vocals are kinda nasally on this song which turns me off from it.

Over all, Artist Vs Poet are a promising band. Check them out on youtube, their update videos are hilarious (especially the 70's show video), on purevolume, or myspace.

Recommended if You Likepowerpop/electronic/rock music; Forever the Sickest Kids; The Staring Line; The Maine

myspace.com/artistvspoet
This review is a user submitted review from iheartmusic043. You can see all of iheartmusic043's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:43 PM on 01/05/09
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
you lost me at, "includes great bands such as The Maine, Mayday Parade, and Every Avenue"
09:40 PM on 01/05/09
williamhunter92
William Hunter
User Info.
this band is hella good. everyone reading this should give em a listennn. one of my good friends is playing with this band on friday. his band is hope for am. check them out too they are hella good. myspace.com/hopeforam
02:00 PM on 01/06/09
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
Actually a decent band. "Lisa Marie" is at least worth checking out.
05:59 AM on 05/27/09
Zkrp
That Guy
User Info.
I just got the Ep it's defenitaly worth taken a listen I don't know what he is talking about the only reason he sounds nasally or whatever is becasue its acoustic but then again he doesn't sound nasally at all his voice is really good in every song. Artist Vs. Poet is indeed a band that will never get enough attention. Which is sad because they have alot of talent.
05:02 AM on 07/29/10
alicelovesyoux
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree completley, I love them! Lisa Marie is brilliant, especially the part where there is a pause in the song and then he starts singing the line 'oh baby' god his voice is amazingly hot when he says that!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos