AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Hip-Hop News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Hip-Hop Music Round-Up (12-27-08)

Posted by - 04:22 PM on 12/27/08
Head over to the replies to read and discuss news, albums, tour dates and more.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
04:23 PM on 12/27/08
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Thanks to Sean for putting this together. If you would like to contribute, feel free to contact me.

Hip-Hop Round-UpNews

This weeks Top Rap Albums according to Billboard.com:

1. Plies - Da REAList
2. Soulja Boy Tell'em - iSouljaBoyTellem
3. Ludacris - Theater Of The Mind
4. T.I. - Paper Trail
5. Common - Universal Mind Control
6. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
7. Scarface - Emeritus
8. Young Jeezy - The Recession
9. Lil Wayne & DJ Drama - Gangsta Grillz: Dedication 3
10. The Game - LAX

Quite a bit of news about Wale this week. His latest mixtape, The Mixtape About Nothing has been named to Pitchfork Media's Top 50 list of 2008 -- landing at #36, between AP.net favorites Girl Talk and Grouper. "The Kramer," a track off of the mixtape also made their list of 100 best songs of the year, finding its way to #74.

New Young Jeezy video for his latest banger "Crazy World" can be seen here. Dig it? One of the strangest music videos I think I've ever seen.

Watch Evidence and The Alchemist perform "Let Yourself Go," live in Fresno.

[/color]Unofficial video for the intro off Nas' Untitled. Produced by Jay Electronica and directed by Racmaninoff Productions.

Professional skateboarder Terry Kennedy (Compton Ass Terry) and his group Fly Society have a new video out. Not much fly about this song or video.

DJ Slimm has freestyled over a Jake One joint. Check it out here and if you haven't heard Jake One's album from this year, White Van Music, do yourself a favor and get into it.

Mick Boogie and Terry Urban have brought you the best of 2008. Boogie had this to say about the mixtape: Well it’s been a journey, but we did it another year! We (along with Cornerstone Promotion) are proud to bring you our Best Of ’08 edition - Cornerstone Mixtape #112! Not just the songs either… almost every song is remixed in some way… in typical Mick Boogie and Terry Urban fashion. Definitely worth checking out.

A bit of local love for me, Blueprint (Rhymesayers) will be throwing a New Years Eve party with Mr. Dibbs at Skully's in Columbus, OH on December 31st -- details here. Head to Skully's to ring in the new year with some of the best Ohio has to offer.

See Common break down each track from his latest effort, Universal Mind Control, as well as tell behind the scenes stories from every songs on KUBE 93's Sound Session. It can be seen it two parts, courtesy of Vimeo. One | Two

If there is one thing you take from this week's round-up, it should be this post. Download Fashawn's brand spankin' new mixtape Higher Learning, courtesy of OnSmash.com and NahRight.com. Dude is REALLY bringing it from the West Coast.

Mastered track from legendary MC Royce Da 5'9'' has leaked into the wild, produced by Carlos Broady. Does he still have it? I personally love it -- but then again he's one of my favorites of all-time.

Hollyweerd has remixed (Hollyweemixed!) the dopest beat of the year -- Kid Cudi's "Day 'N' Nite". Check out the track here.

Courtesy of the Rhymesayers Entertainment MySpace blog: Eyedea & Abilities will be hosting a New Years Eve party this year at 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis, MN! They will be joined on stage by some very special surprise guests throughout the night! Tickets are on sale now! Be sure to pick yours up today because the show will sell out! If I could, I'd be there. Someone let me know how it is!

Two things about Minnesota's finest and Doomtree Collective headhauncho P.O.S.: First, his "Never Better" tour, featuring SIMS and Mike Mictlan+Lazerbeak (Hand Over Fist), is officially swung into action with tickets going on sale this past week. Dates and details can be seen in full here. Second, you can check out Jason's first impressions of his new album, due out February 3rd, in his blog.

-------------------------------
In Stores Now:

Brutha - Brutha

Glasses Malone - Beach Cruiser

Savage - Savage Island

Slim Thug - Boss Hogg On Candy (CD & DVD)

Trae - The Beginning (chopped & screwed)

------------------------------
Recommendations This Week

As posted above, check out Fashawn's new mixtape. I considered it a Christmas gift to myself and it is more than worth it. That, along with the latest mixtape from 10 Deep, The New Deal, has controlled my iTunes this week.

-------------------------------
Contributors: deadkidsean

Any questions, concerns, ideas, news/artists you want to see mentioned in next week’s Round-Up, interviews (either written by you or elsewhere [with source]) you want posted, or if you just want to plain talk hip hop, feel free to e-mail Sean at laughesn@email.uc.edu or send a Private Message to Will with “HIP HOP” in the subject line.

Please, PLEASE let us know what you think either in here or in the General Forum Hip Hop Discussion
thread. We want this to get better and better with each week and are up for any and all suggestions and criticism.
05:24 PM on 12/27/08
xAnDoOx
User Info.
i'm pretty excited for the new P.O.S album.
05:37 PM on 12/27/08
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
I saw the Doomtree Blowout DVD and wasn't that impressed. I loved the live performances (setlist was too short) I was just hoping for more special features. I wanted to see them in the studio and them out on the town. I don't know I guess I expected to much.
06:34 PM on 12/27/08
ChrisCTL
User Info.
wow.. i'm surprised soulja boy didn't have number one.. or lil wayne?
06:44 PM on 12/27/08
annieee
if i'm the fire you're the spark
User Info.
i look forward to this soo much. thanks guys!
07:12 PM on 12/27/08
Derek, ANNISTY
User Info.
Everyone should check out P.O.S. or Doomtree, even if you are not that into hip hop, you'll enjoy p.o.s.
07:34 PM on 12/27/08
VIVALAMATT
Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
That Common album is growing on me. Was turned off by it at first, but now I'm starting to appreciate some of the songs.
07:35 PM on 12/27/08
VIVALAMATT
Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
And another thing,

I can't take anyone who purchased that Souja Boy cd seriously. Sorry kids.
08:28 PM on 12/27/08
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
That's disappointing to hear. I'll still probably pick it up in the P.O.S. headlining tour.

Do it. Its very entertaining, I'm just a HUGE doomtree fan and was hoping to get a real inside look into how they make their music and it was more just about the blowout. It was my mistake but def still worth the money.

That Common album is growing on me. Was turned off by it at first, but now I'm starting to appreciate some of the songs.

Haven't picked it up but I didn't hear good things.
08:58 PM on 12/27/08
GlamourKillsUs
young money baby
User Info.
soulja boy, why, just why honestly
what kind of idiotic fool buys that, much less listens to him period
unless they enjoy a good joke.

i dont get very passionate about hating things in hip-hop
but i hate soulja boy with an unbridaled passion
he's disgusting and should go away
i was hoping above all else that this album flopped
and he would dissapear into the hole he came from
but i guess that won't happen
...thanks society

ahah
09:29 PM on 12/27/08
airik625
-
User Info.
Can't wait for the new P.O.S. album.
09:50 PM on 12/27/08
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
Tour dates? Do rappers tour? Not in the traditional sense I don't think...
10:03 PM on 12/27/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I was really let down by the Common album. I'm going to pass it off as more of an experimentation and hope his next effort is more focused. I'm going to have to listen to it more though.
10:07 PM on 12/27/08
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
80% of the hip hop scene pisses me off.
the fact that soulja boy sold 900k... makes me sick

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles