AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
A Clear Blurr - Drop Everything Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.42
Musicianship 5.67
Lyrics 3.83
Production 7.17
Creativity 2.67
Lasting Value 3.33
Reviewer Tilt 3.33
Average: 45%

A Clear Blurr - Drop Everything

Reviewed by: pstar (12/28/08)
A Clear Blurr - Drop Everything
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 7, 2008

Whether people want to accept it or not, there seems to be a resurgence of pop punk bands everywhere nowadays. I love pop punk music and welcome the revival, but there are plenty of pop punk bands that sound bland and uninteresting. I feel like there are only a few pop punk acts that can pull off the fun and energetic music that we all came to know and love with bands like Blink 182, Sum 41, and The Starting Line.

When popping A Clear Blurrís album, Drop Everything, into the CD Player I was a little apprehensive. I wasnít sure what to expect. But before I had time to think, the intro to the first track "Far Away," grabbed my attention and had me moving instantly. "Far Away" was a great choice to start the record with. As soon as the vocals kicked in I thought, "Alkaline Trio?" The singer's voice was very similar to Matt Skibaís of Alkaline Trio. Just to boot, "Far Way" had a great solo that I was whistling along to in no time.

Drop Everything now had my attention, but was it going to keep it? The next couple of songs, "Make You Happy" and "Way To Hard," werenít anything new or groundbreaking. The songs were repetitive and had typical pop punk lyrics, but as pop punk songs they delivered what they were supposed to, fun and energy. However, the vocal harmonies at the end of "Way To Hard" were a great addition. Then, "Take Me Away," a fast, highly energetic song in the vain of older pop punk, set the pace again. It seems that A Clear Blurr is very adept at writing intros to songs that grab your attention and are very energetic, but in some songs the energy from the intro seems to fizzle as the song progresses. The next song "My Everything" threw me off because it sounds almost identical to "Make You Happy," I even played each song back to back to make sure I wasnít hearing things and they really are pretty similar. Now I was worried that the rest of the album was going to sound like more of the same, and that A Clear Blurr would become another bland pop punk band.

As soon as I heard the creative drum beat during the bridge in "Hello" I knew there was hope. By the time I had finished listening to the rest of the album I knew there was nothing to worry about. "Regrets" once again starts off strong in the intro and continues throughout the rest of the song. The singing is the strongest in this track. My favorite tracks from Drop Everything were at the very end. "Forever" is the best track on this album with a guitar riff thatís so memorable itíll get stuck in your head all day. The middle of "Forever" is what really gripped me. A chorus comes in singing a refrain of "Whoa ohs" that is so good it left me mesmerized. "Forever" can easily take rank amongst hits like "Stay Awake" by All Time Low. The last song "Yes It Is" is a song about the break-up of Blink 182. Blink 182 being very close to my heart, it wasnít long before I recognized the lyrical references to their songs. I also assume the title "Yes It Is" is a retort to the +44 song, "No It Isnít". This was a great track to end the album on with memorable lyrics that you can easily sing along to.

So after a solid listen of Drop Everything what is my honest opinion? A Clear Blurr does a great job of writing fun, energetic, and catchy songs, the essentials of pop punk music. While there are a few spots that get slightly repetitive, the band does a great job of getting your attention with their powerful intros and keeping you hooked with their catchy choruses. A Clear Blurr doesnít reinvent the wheel, or introduce anything new with their music, but they do write great, melodic songs that are consistent and get you singing and dancing along in no time, and to me, thatís all I want from a great pop punk album.

Recommended if You LikeBlink 182; All Time Low; +44; pop punk

aclearblurr.com
myspace.com/aclearblurr

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests