AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Silverstein - Discovering the Waterfront Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.31
Production 6.69
Creativity 6.69
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.31
Average: 69%
Inside AP.net

Silverstein - Discovering the Waterfront

Reviewed by: flks511 (12/30/08)
Silverstein - Discovering the Waterfront
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: August 16, 2005

As this is the band that introduced me to the emo/hardcore scene, I was worried that this review may seem a little biased. But that was before I actually listened to the whole album. After listening to Discovering the Waterfront the whole way through, my beliefs have been confirmed even more that Silverstein are exceptionally great musicians and songwriters.

The album starts off with "Your Sword vs. My Dagger," which starts the album off with hammer-on riff and beautiful vocals by lead singer Shane Told, who combines his singing and screaming voice perfectly. The beginning of the album was the ideal place for the band to put this song, as it sets the tone for the rest of the album. The first single from the album, "Smile In Your Sleep," is up next, complete with a catchy chorus and a very smooth sounding tapped verse. The breakdown of the song is amazing, as it truly showcases Told's emotion and anger perfectly.

"Ides of March" is also good, filled with an ominous verse and a chorus that doesn't disappoint. "Fist Wrapped In Blood" is another great track (even if the violent lyrics do get a bit ridiculous) and it leads to the title track of the album. "Discovering the Waterfront" could be the best song on the album, as it ties the whole concept of the album together. It features backup singing by bassist Billy Hamilton, and although it is not perfect, it certainly is a breath of fresh air to have a softer song in the middle of all these fast-paced hardcore screamers.

After the title track, the energy continues in "Defend You," "My Heroine," and "Always and Never," another one of my favorites. It's obvious that Silverstein didn't write it as a filler; it must have taken lots of effort to write the riffs for that song. The songs remain solid until the end track, "Call It Karma," which finishes off the album with a positive message and is also the perfect choice for the end of the album.

Throughout the album Silverstein shows a surprising amount of creativity for an emo band, demonstrated by the very strange riff throughout "Defend You," or the writing skills obviously needed to write songs like "Always and Never," "Smile In Your Sleep," or "Your Sword vs. My Dagger." They also prove themselves as great musicians and performers (as shown on the live DVD that comes with the album).

There are few problems I have with the album. One is Told's repetitive lyrics. Many of the songs' lyrical content is about pain and suffering (metaphors for emotions), which is fine to use in moderation, but gets old after a whole album. Another is that it is slightly under-produced. I realize the producer should never get too much in control of a record, but I think at least for the single "Smile In Your Sleep," he would throw in some of his own tricks to promote the song.

Overall, after listening to this album, it became one of my favorites of the year, and Silverstein did become my favorite bands. Fans should expect more great things from Silverstein; they have a lot of potential.

Recommended if You LikeAlesana; emo bands that are original; consistent albums

myspace.com/silverstein

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
03:56 PM on 01/09/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
If this is recommend if you like Alesana, it's not recommended to anyone.
RIYL screamo bands that have very good vocals.
04:06 PM on 01/09/09
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
"emo bands that are original"

...duurrrr...not so shure
08:28 AM on 01/12/09
missycrissy
Pokket
User Info.
"emo bands that are original"

...duurrrr...not so shure
ROFL
I'm not sure either. D:
10:01 PM on 01/18/09
Daedalus
User Info.
I think by "emo bands that are original" he meant the most bland screamo band anyone has heard in a while.
02:20 PM on 01/24/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
I think by "emo bands that are original" he meant the most bland screamo band anyone has heard in a while.
i meant that they don't follow emo cliches such as lyrics about death and lost love, and not having overly predictable melodies and stuff like that
04:58 PM on 01/28/09
andrew4045
Chainsaw Brutality
User Info.
this cd is legit.
07:15 AM on 02/03/09
cake eater
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
definately something different about this band. you want to say "emo" because of the sound. but the energy they give off is definately not that of the "i cut myself to feel" genre.
05:47 AM on 04/10/09
Daedalus
User Info.
Having re-listened to the Silverstein catalogue i eat my own words.
They.Are.Amazing

this is defs their best album aswell
10:08 AM on 09/10/09
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
definately something different about this band. you want to say "emo" because of the sound. but the energy they give off is definately not that of the "i cut myself to feel" genre.
this.
02:45 AM on 09/15/09
xjdizzle
User Info.
If this is recommend if you like Alesana, it's not recommended to anyone.
RIYL screamo bands that have very good vocals.
No its recommended if you like bands like Senses Fail or Alexisonfire.
Alesana sucks! They are nothing like Silverstein. I hate when people confuse good bands with crappy scene bands. Its like me saying If you like Bring me the Horizon youl like The Bled.
05:03 PM on 01/29/11
glEnntropy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My favorite CD from Silverstein. The artwork is amazing (even though the Robot on When Broken is Easily Fixed kicks more ass). Already Dead is one of my favorite songs of all times.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums