AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.3
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 9.4
Production 9.14
Creativity 9.07
Lasting Value 9.52
Reviewer Tilt 9.43
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave

Reviewed by: Kbm600 (12/31/08)
Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave
Record Label: Fueled by Ramen
Release Date: May 6, 2003

Every single one of us one has had one of "those" relationships. The kind where it doesn't end in heartfelt goodbyes, but rather vindictive emotions and thoughts revolving around the question of whether you could get away with strangling the person in question. It's inevitably going to happen at some point in your life. So when the delightful vocals of Patrick Stump begin Take This To Your Grave with "Light that smoke/ Yeah one for giving up on me/ And one just cause they'll kill you sooner than my expectations." It's known that at one point in your life, you'll relate to this record in some fashion.

"Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today" is the cynical beginning of what is doubtlessly a record made for lost loves. As hard hitting drums from Andrew Hurley and the emotional outpouring of Stump begin as the chorus surges through your stereo, you'll soon be singing along to the delightfully evil chorus, "Let's play this game called 'When You Catch Fire'/ I wouldn't piss to put you out." It makes for an energetic beginning to a record that just doesn't stop. "Dead on Arrival" features less of the getting-back-at-your-ex lyrics and trades it for an infectious chorus that is guaranteed to plant itself in your mind for weeks to come.

"Grand Theft Autumn" continues the pattern of catchy music combined with lyrics designed for teenage away messages and heartfelt poem entries while "Saturday" breaks up the formula set so far and instead inspires to be a much more serious song for the boys as Stump recites lyrics of self reflection and Pete displays monstrous screams towards the climax of the song to ensure that this is a song worth putting on repeat. "Homesick At Space Camp" is a love song at its very core and is a pleasant listen as Wentz's bass is an audibly soothing sound combined with Trohmanís and Stumpís simple guitars and the latterís superb vocals. "Sending Postcards From A Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here)" is simply one of those songs where its title speaks for itself. Stump sings about severing ties, as Hurley is proves once again that he is not to be underestimated behind a drum set, pop band or not.

Halfway through the record and not slowing down in the least, "Chicago Is So Two Years Ago" features some of the most brutally honest lyrics seen from Wentz, "You want apologies girl/ You might hold your breath until your breathing stops forever." it makes me feel very sorry for whatever this girl might have done to piss the Wentz off as the honesty continues in "The Pros And Cons of Breathing," a track on which Patrick Stump sounds surprisingly different, with a darker tone and harder hitting instruments it quickly becomes one of the stand-out tracks of Take This To Your Grave. "Grenade Jumper" features much more punk like opening from the boys that leads to an extremely catchy song that will have you singing along, even if you're not sure exactly who "Chris" is when singing "Hey Chris/ You were our only friend".

The album takes a retro turn as "Calm Before The Storm" is an old piece of work from the boys as it was also present on Evening Out With Your Girlfriend. It's still a solid hit here with an epic climax that features the combination of some more fantastic from Stump with crushing screams from Wentz that add it to the list of must hears on the album.

Stump belts out along with Hurley's pounding drums on "Reinventing the Wheel to Run Myself Over," making it one of the most unusual songs Stump has ever sung on. Not only does he sound practically nothing like he does on the rest of the songs, it's not a great sound for him. "The Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes" ends the record in an superb manner as the group shines as a whole; Trohman and Stumpís guitar work speeds the song along with more fantastic drum work from Hurley to close the album out with yet another song that will have you singing the lyrics long after the CD stops spinning.

How good is it? Regardless if itís just another pop record, itís an incredible one. Everything is done perfectly on this record, from the right amount to production to the balance of hard hitting instruments and pop goodness. Sure, the lyrics are practically quotes from a brokenhearted boyís diary, but theyíre undoubtedly all things weíve related to at one point and another; Pete Wentz is similar to Max Bemis in the way that he lets the listener know exactly how it is.

This record is simply something you need to pick up if youíve enjoyed anything like this before and havenít bothered to check out yet. More importantly, next time you see someone you know listening to The Maine or another one of these countless bands signing on to labels left and right, pop this CD in and show them what good pop rock was meant to be. Whether you hate or love Fall Out Boy, Take This To Your Grave is a great piece of work.

Track Listing01. "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today" (3:30)
02. Dead on Arrival (3:14)
03. Grand Theft Autumn / Where is Your Boy (3:11)
04. Saturday (3:36)
05. Homesick at Space Camp (3:08)
06. Sending Postcards from a Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here) (2:56)
07. Chicago is So Two Years Ago (3:19) (with guest vocals from Justin Pierre)
08. The Pros and Cons of Breathing (3:21)
09. Grenade Jumper (2:58)
10. Calm Before the Storm (4:29)
11. Reinventing the Wheel to Run Myself Over (2:21)
12. The Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes (3:19)

Recommended if You LikeNew Found Glory; Say Anything; The Starting Line

myspace.com/falloutboy

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43.
02:53 AM on 01/09/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing my favorite album of all time. Does anyone know if the staff reviewed TTYG when it was released 5 years ago?
03:34 AM on 01/09/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I looked through all of the reviews and couldn't find any trace of one. That's why I decided we definitely needed a review of it.
02:11 PM on 01/09/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing my favorite album of all time. Does anyone know if the staff reviewed TTYG when it was released 5 years ago?
This. I also want to read the fateful "Where You Want to Be" and "From Under the Cork Tree" reviews.
04:53 PM on 01/09/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Very nice review. Good job!
05:16 PM on 01/09/09
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
The album to which every pop punk album released will be compared to. A true classic.
05:33 PM on 01/09/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
Very nice review. Good job!
Thank you very much!
07:50 PM on 01/09/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
The album to which every pop punk album released will be compared to. A true classic.
That's a hell of a way to describe it.
10:42 PM on 01/09/09
11:11
Looking for the morning after.
User Info.
Too be honest, I didn't totally agree with the review, but I'm glad someone finally did one for this album.
02:20 AM on 01/10/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
This. I also want to read the fateful "Where You Want to Be" and "From Under the Cork Tree" reviews.
Someone should ask Tate to post the reviews again, like he did with IARB.
04:49 AM on 01/10/09
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
Someone should ask Tate to post the reviews again, like he did with IARB.
Yeah I posted a thread asking about a "From Under the Cork Tree" review awhile aback... apparently there was a bit of controversy but it was never explained to me fully...

Good review, by the way. Real high score but it's a good album and you obviously love it, so I can't fault you for that .
08:27 AM on 01/10/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Yeah I posted a thread asking about a "From Under the Cork Tree" review awhile aback... apparently there was a bit of controversy but it was never explained to me fully...

Good review, by the way. Real high score but it's a good album and you obviously love it, so I can't fault you for that .
This album deserves a perfect score.
09:06 AM on 01/10/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.

I appreciate that! I was expecting to get a lot of shit for the score too, but I'm glad you liked the review.
09:51 AM on 01/10/09
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
This album deserves a perfect score.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like this album - probably my favourite from FOB. But there are still flaws in it which mean it doesn't quite deserve a perfect score. I think if I reviewed, I'd give it about 85%.
05:22 PM on 01/10/09
eliselovesmusic
Yes, I am a registered user.
User Info.
Great review! I agree with you on pretty much evrything you said.

"Reinventing the Wheel..." was a er odd song to add to the album. I think it might have fit in better on 'Evening Out With Your GF' just coz it's not musically as good as the rest of TTYG.

"Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes" is one of my favourite songs, and a great album closer. My mates don't like that fact that it doesn't have a distinctive bridge but I think I like that about the song.

Check out this is an amazing cover of Patron Saint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fvxzsNTQk4
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT