Password

Album Review
Heartstop - Moments Album Cover

Heartstop - Moments

Reviewed by
Heartstop - {Moments}
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 1, 2008
When I first decided to write a review for Heartstop, I saw that {Moments} was only five songs long. I thought I'd do like I do for most EP's and write a "Who? How is it?" type of a review, which is designed for smaller releases. But then something happened that changed my mind: I heard the album. Short album or not, this release deserves a full-length review. So, lets dive right into the goods.

Track one, "Don't Wake Me Up," starts out with a progressive first verse so that it was obvious that it was leading up to some sort of amazing chorus. I was correct. The chorus is short and sweet (remember that, for "short and sweet" will by a recurring theme in this release); I was practically singing along to the chorus only the second time I heard it: "I'll be your hero / And we'll take our time / I'll be your hero / And we'll make it right." Singer/Guitarist Jake Hawkes' voice blends flawlessly with Matt Sellers on guitar, Joe Khoury on drums, and Tristan Ramos on bass. The product of Jake Hawkes' voice combined with the other instruments and their knack for playing melody-driven songs is very reminiscent of Mae.

The formula for song number two, "Sweet Wonder," is essentially just like track one, except it progresses all the way through the first chorus and doesn't get to what it's leading up to and pick up the tempo until the second chorus. Heartstop does a good job of coming up with great lyrics. The chorus is (again) short and sweet: "You're the reason / I wake up / In the morning," twice around. The third verse closes out with a lyrical jaw dropper: "I realize it only takes a second to change the world / And only one second to lose it." Amazing song, but there is just not much differentiation between it and the previous song.

Skipping over to song number four, "Never Say Goodbye," is another chorus-focused (the chorus being "short and sweet" of course) song. It starts out quiet, and then explodes into the chorus: "Don't give up / Don't let go / Cause deep inside you'll always be so beautiful you know." Personally, I think the level of feeling and power that these guys write their lyrics on is mind-blowing.

The final song on {Moments} is "Lullaby" because it begins with nothing but piano and vocals; it stays that way through the first verse until the end of the chorus. The chorus is absolutely beautiful: "Here's a lullaby / To remember me by / And to help you try / To fall asleep at night / Knowing that I / I'm here by your side." It keeps the piano all throughout the song, but also adds all the other instruments at the end of the chorus the first time. The song closes out with all the instruments except the piano coming to a halt, and the piano plays the final notes.

"And it's life at best / Don't pass this by" is a line from the chorus of "For What It's
Worth," the third song on {Moments}. This line is my message out to readers. Don't pass this album or this band by because they are definitely worth the listen.

Track Listing01. Don't Wake Me Up
02. Sweet Wonder
03. For What It's Worth
04. Never Say Goodbye
05. Lullaby

Recommended if You LikeMae

myspace.com/heartstoprock
This review is a user submitted review from RelientMayday. You can see all of RelientMayday's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
05:10 PM on 01/08/09
luckylunachic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wow !
i totally agree.

They're lyrics are a genius in love.
The first time i listened to them they blew me away
and if you give them a chance the songs will make you feel something inside
and its almost like drinking (mildly)hot chocolate on a cold morning
...just hot enough to bubble you up inside but not burn your tounge.

They're something diffrent.

They say in one of they're songs, sweet wonder
"im afraid of the future but im ready to close the doors to my past"

trying something new may be weird but if u pass them up youll miss out on beautiful lyrics and a band thats clearly going a long way.

<3Julieta

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version