AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Death by Stereo - Death for Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Death by Stereo - Death for Life

Reviewed by: SwiftSilentDead (01/03/09)
Death by Stereo - Death for Life
Record Label: Epitaph Records
Release Date: June 7, 2005

Death By Stereo is one of those bands that I always wanted to get into, but I never got around to it until recently. It was only a few days ago that I found out what they sounded like after I stumbled across a copy of their fourth album, Death For Life, in a record store and decided to give it a go. I had always assumed that Death By Stereo were strictly a punk band judging from most of their fans have told me about them, but they were a lot different than I expected.

Death For Life flows similarly to a metalcore record with vocalist Efrem Schulz using a high-pitched shriek/scream on most of the songs. He contrasts it with a deep, soulful singing voice which has its ups and downs (one of the ups being on the chorus of the closer, "This Is Not The End," and one of the downs being on the bridge of "I Give My Life"). Guitarists Tito Owens and Jim Palmer also show their skills on this album as they provide some great guitar solos ("Forever and A Day," "This Curse of Days") and metal-reminiscent riffs. Bassist Tyler Rebbe and drummer Todd Henning also do a solid job at their respective positions.

Death For Life begins with "Binge/Purge," a song which starts off with chants of the album name and leads into a quick chugging guitar pattern backed with Schulz's high-pitched shrieking. This is one of the few tracks where his singing voice comes off very well when he uses it. Owens' and Palmer's dual guitar melodies are also great on this track. "I Give My Life" is more of a commercial metalcore song. Its chorus is pretty catchy, but it's definitely one of the weaker tracks on the album. "Entombed We Collide" has Avenged Sevenfold singer Matt Shadows helping out with backing vocals in the chorus and he surprisingly makes a very good contribution to the song with how he harmonizes with Schulz.

One very interesting track is the ballad, "Forever and A Day," a very powerful and moving track with the following chorus: "I can't take away this fever, I can't take away the pain, But I will fight with you forever, forever and a day I can't face this world on my own, I keep on searching for your face, I promise that we'll live forever, forever and a day." This song becomes gradually heavier as it goes and as noted before, it features a fantastic guitar solo from Owens. The great guitar work is prominent for most of Death For Life, but it's most prominent on "Forever and A Day," "This Curse of Days," and "W.W.J.D." "This Curse of Days" also has a very catchy melody, a great chorus, some neat drum fills and another ripping solo making it another strong track. The rest of the album is pretty much more of the same with nothing standing out too much until "Don't Piss On My Neck and Tell Me It's Raining." This track begins much like "Forever and A Day" only it hits you right in the face a little over a minute in with shouts of "Hate! *** this revolting world!" and then it continues with style similar to the rest of the album only the lyrics are much more angry and aggressive on this track, an example being: "Open wide as I *** you in the mouth, block the lies from gouging my eyes out, Choke on my cum, enjoy your last breath, turning blue we celebrate your death, Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, the young die fast, you *** the rest."

This record does have some downsides, one main one being Efrem Schulz's clean vocals. He doesn't exactly have the best singing voice in the world and it shows on quite a few spots. There are also some laughable parts of songs like the spoken word bridge of "Middle Fingers." The lyrics to "Don't Piss On My Neck..." are very ridiculous if you interpret them literally. A chunk of the album does have good lyrical content, thankfully. That's something that's missing from metalcore.

In general, Death For Life was a surprise for me as I was expecting more of a punk/melodic hardcore record and not a metalcore sounding one. There were a few downsides to this album but overall, it's a very solid record and a step above bands like Atreyu, It Dies Today, etc. It's debatable if this would be a good starter record for the band since it was my first time listening to them properly but it's gotten me interested in checking out their other material so Death For Life definitely isn't a bad one to start out with.

Favorite Songs"This Curse of Days"; "Binge/Purge"; "This is Not the End"; "Forever and a Day"

Recommended if You LikeKillswitch Engage's The End of Heartache; Comeback Kid's Wake the Dead; Raised Fist's Dedication

myspace.com/deathbystereo

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
04:50 PM on 01/08/09
ElBullEsMuerto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
dude this is by far thier weakest album. Listen to If looks could kill.., Day of the death, and Into the valley of death. also pick up the devil's night Ep and the split with Ensign if either are still in print.
05:51 PM on 01/09/09
Burning Star IV
Mornings Taste Like Turpentine
User Info.
I have to disagree with the vocal. I think they are spot on, and very few vocalists can transition styles as well as Efrum done.
05:10 PM on 08/22/09
ManInMusicBox
Says the spider to the fly...
User Info.
Had no idea this review was up. This should be very higher of a rating. Damn great album. One of the few, of this genre, that you do not have to skip through. Still cannot believe they remade "Forever And A Day" for the new album; my favorite song of theirs.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums