Password

Album Review

Know the Score - All Guts, Still No Glory Album Cover

Know the Score - All Guts, Still No Glory

Reviewed by
Know the Score - All Guts, Still No Glory
Record Label: Eulogy Records
Release Date: August 19, 2008
Look, I’ll be straight about it – I’m not a hardcore aficionado. I do enjoy it, but I am by no means the most knowledgeable person about said genre, nor is it my favorite genre to choose from. Perhaps that is why I had so much trouble understanding Know the Score’s reissue of their 2004 album All Guts, No Glory (the title has been altered to All Guts, Still No Glory). I’ve never heard the original, but I am unsure of why Know The Score bothered re-issuing it, as the production is terrible. If they aimed to please with the re-mastering, they failed on that front.

Another issue I have with the album is I had a lot of trouble deciphering the lyrics. Like I previously mentioned, the production is pretty awful, and the vocals are buried in the mess. When I finally became accustomed to the sound, I attempted to understand what the songs were trying to get out. So, I did what any normal listener would do, and I went to the insert to look for lyrics. While it’s not unusual for lyrics to not be included with the album, the message I got in place of them hinted at the pretension that most of their songs contained: “If you’re looking for the lyrics, just listen to the fucking record. It’s not that hard to figure out.” If they were saying that the lyrics weren’t hard to figure out, then they were sorely mistaken. It was similar to learning how to drive a manual transmission: frustrating and difficult. However, unlike the satisfaction I achieved after mastering a stick-shift, the lyrics proved to be trite and faux-socially conscious. I mean sure, they tried -- and they get points for that -- but the “message” found in “Ex-Members of I Don’t Give a Fuck” puzzled me. I sure as hell know I “give a fuck” about what bands the members used to be in, but again, that's just me.

I’ll give them a break on the lyrics for a minute and focus on the instrumentation. The musical side of the album is a little dry, to say the least. At some point, during every spin I gave the album, the tracks kind of blurred together into one long, convoluted mess. Most of the songs sound exactly the same, save for a guitar solo here, and a breakdown there.

If Know the Score gave their all for this record, then I’d give them an A for effort, but at this point in time, their album title stays true. No glory was attained through this record, and unless they become stronger songwriters, then Know the Score will continue to fall short on their next record.

Recommended if You Likehardcore; arrogance; short albums

myspace.com/knowthescore
This review is a user submitted review from ikikwe. You can see all of ikikwe's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version