AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Throwing Color - The Static Seas EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Throwing Color - The Static Seas EP

Reviewed by: Alana Rome (01/07/09)
Throwing Color - The Static Seas EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 6, 2009

Who?

Throwing Color, hailing from Berkley Heights, NJ, are throwing themselves into the alternative rock ring. The five members have just given birth to their debut EP, entitled The Static Seas. Oddly enough, the band sounds eerily similar to fellow Berkley Heights inhabitants, Bedlight for Blue Eyes.

How is it?

For an unsigned band and a first-effort, six-song EP, The Static Seas has a solid sound. The chord progressions appear to be entirely Bedlight for Blue Eyes-based, which while obviously unoriginal, does give an upbeat, catchy stability to the EP. The unchanging tempo through all six songs puts the band in danger of appearing one-dimensional. Thanks to some carefully placed layering and unpredictable hints of synth, though, Throwing Color have given themselves an identity separate from their hometown buddies. The further I got into this EP, the more it grew on me and the catchier it became. I came to see that although the guitar riffs may not be groundbreaking, they are incredibly clean, and each portion of the album is well-placed. Singer Drew Duddy’s vocals are husky and smooth, making them easy to sing along with. The simplicity of the lyrics leaves the listener with the desire to dig deeper into the band’s psyche, but they are still undeniably relatable. This EP is perfect for easy listening or car rides.

Recommended if You LikeBedlight for Blue Eyes; Letterkills; Switchfoot

myspace.com/throwingcolor

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
07:12 PM on 01/13/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey, do you know where I can pick this up?
07:01 AM on 01/14/09
therockgod
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Itunes on the 22nd
04:34 PM on 01/14/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Coolness.
07:10 AM on 01/15/09
steve_k
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band is nothing like bedlight for blueeyes and there cd is deffintley worth getting!!!

another new band based out of berkeley heights www.bandmix.com/astoria <---check it out!
04:13 PM on 01/17/09
crannulax
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i didn't know generica was something to be celebrated.
i think this release is uninspired and incredibly generic.
vocals- the singer is very good but the melodies are incredibly unorignal.
very clean well produced sound that soo polished its almost fake
its takes away from any potential energy it could have
it would be a cool release if everything they are doing hadnt been done 100 times before
by almost every band of this genre and don;t say its breaking any sort of mold because lets be honest
its not and we could all find about 10 records that sounds like this that came out before in about 30 minutes
05:27 PM on 01/17/09
S1NCE_ALWAYS
User Info.
i've been friends with Drew for years so while I may be biased about this EP (which i have not yet heard in it's entirety), I will still say that I am always amazed at how far he has come and the energy he has live. It's funny- all this comparison to Bedlight because the original singer of Bedlight used to manage drew's former band- blackoutskies (www.myspace.com/blackoutskies). I've had the pleasure of sharing the stage with these dudes and they're all awesome and I personally dig the tunes.
10:25 PM on 01/17/09
Wolfgang
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
To All
& CRANNULAX,

I had the chance to see these guys live one night and believe me when i say--they sound as good live as they do on the recording. The singers voice is crystal clear--not even the slightest off note. To say that the sound is "soo polished its almost fake" would be a lie. They are true to there sound and the proof is in there performance. You say its been done a "100 times before" but that just sounds like your out to bash this band. They have so much more going for them than most generic bands which I do not consider this band to be. You sound ignorant with the inclination that you could find "10 records that sound like this in 30 min". Okay well try..try and find 10 bands like this with a singer who doesn't sound like a prepubescent boy whose nuts haven't dropped yet... Besides, it has so much more substance to it and the singers voice alone makes them stand out from all the rest. It is very rare to come across a singer capable of hitting such powerful notes and holding them--all while making it seem effortless..

crannulax...LETS BE HONEST, just because you have probably been in numerous failing bands that haven't even been able to get out of the garage--there is no reason to bash on a quality band that has a promising future in the music industry.
08:21 AM on 01/18/09
mikestryker
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This cd kicks ass. the music is loaded with hooks and constantly pushes foward like a locomotive with a guy on meth at the wheel. except let it out. you know they wrote that one to get chicks, but if i had a vagina id probably be a sucka for it too and do some weird shit to get a backstage pass.

i would have paid money for this cd if i stumbled upon their myspace, but i know the dudes and got it for free cause im bitchin.

it sounds nothing like bedlight for blueeyes you probably should set up an appointment with an ear doctor. hopefully he can do something to help you.

i heard the two guitarists in astoria spend more time with their hands on each others dicks than the necks of their guitars.

crannulax...... nothing wrong with polished music. i gotta admit though, i too was a fan of boss metal zone pedals and the metallic sound of a fostex 4 track back when, wait no i wasnt.
08:23 AM on 01/18/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
People....please learn to quote.
04:46 AM on 02/03/09
Alana Rome
Alana Rome
User Info.
it sounds nothing like bedlight for blueeyes you probably should set up an appointment with an ear doctor. hopefully he can do something to help you.

i heard the two guitarists in astoria spend more time with their hands on each others dicks than the necks of their guitars.

I think you need to chill out just a touch. I had the band on my radio show last week, and if they were fine with my review, so should you.

Just sayin....
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums