Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (01-11-09)

Posted by: Lueda Alia (01/11/09)
Head to the replies to read and discuss this week in technology.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
10:17 AM on 01/11/09
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Thanks to Chad for putting this together. If you would like to contribute for next week's round-up, feel free to contact me.

Technology Round-UpMobile-related
Verizon has acquired Alltel, now making it the largest wireless service provider.

Former Sprint users who were charged for ending their contract early may be reimbursed $35 or $90 thanks to a class-action lawsuit.

Palm has received a lot of attention with their new device, called Pre, unveiled at CES. So much attention that the stock rose 35% following the announcement.

The iPhone gets another practical use: serving beer.

Parents worried about what their kids are doing late at night surfing the internet on their iPhones can sleep peacefully with a child-safe web browser.

Good news: AT&T is upgrading their 3G coverage. Bad news: it's at the expense of their 2G coverage.

Samsung will be releasing a North America 3G-friendly touchscreen phone, the INNOV8, touting an 8-megapixel camera. Check out a review of the European version.

---------------------------------------------------
Computer-related

Some idiot has proposed using Twitter. To save the suspense, if you click the girl's twitter, she accepted the proposal. Will there be a Twitter pre-nup? How long until we get Twitter divorces?

In other Twitter news, President-elect Barack Obama and Britney Spears had their Twitters hijacked at no fault of their own. One of the Twitter staff member's password was cracked. The password was "happiness."

The Windows 7 beta has been made public. Getting a serial number and download is tricky with high demand, but this method worked for me as of 11:00am today (Saturday). In other Windows 7 news, if you buy a computer after July 1, you may be offered a free upgrade.

Microsoft has been hit with a $1.5 billion lawsuit regarding computer that were "Vista Capable".

Sometimes Big Brother can be a good thing. Police used Google Street View to locate a kidnapped 9-year-old girl.

And sometimes Big brother can be a bad thing. Britain has enacted a new law allowing government officials to hack into computers without a warrant.

Apple is finally doing away with copy protection on their songs. It costs $0.30 per song or 30% of an album's cost for the upgrade though. In other Apple news, there will also be a 17-inch Macbook Pro with an 8-hour battery.

Electronics-related

Check out CES coverage from day one and day two courtesy of Gizmodo.

Obama will ride in a very fancy Cadillac on his way to his inauguration. The President-elect has also requested a delay to the digital TV transition.

Apple's CEO, Steve Jobs,is in fact sick. But it is a hormone imbalance not his cancer returning.

An ox that died 13 years ago has been cloned using DNA from his frozen testicles.

Your GPS device may soon help you avoid red light tickets. Or you could just stop before making that right turn.

French parking meters will soon alert police if drivers have exceeded their paid time.

A new toy for "kids" allows them to pretend they have Star Wars force powers. If they can ever get it away from their fathers.

Not only is playing golf relatively useless for getting in shape (unless you walk the course), but it may damage your hearing too.

Wired has anounced their user-voted sexiest geeks of 2008. The winner may surprise people.

Justin Long apparently enjoys illegal activities while talking on his iPhone.

Game-related

Playing Tetris directly following a traumatic event may be beneficial for your health.

Though this section of the technology round-up will stay as active as possible, at least one videogame studio head believes it will be "a dull year for gaming."

A WoW threatened suicide in order to get his way. Instead, he got arrested.

Being a fan of a game is one thing, but getting a hedgehog ban overturned to get one as a pet is a little over the top.

A 6-year-old attempted to drive to school using skills he learned in Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam. His mother and father win worst parents of the year award.

Looking for a more real Guitar Hero: World Tour or Rock Band 2 experience? How about a guitar with strings?

SanDisk will release official Rock Band 2 memory cards for Wii owners, Lenny Kravitz is included in the upcoming RB DLC next week, and Rock Band 3 will not be released in 2009.

Guitar Hero: World Tour gets its Country Pack this week.

Wii Sports has become the top selling game of all time. Yes, it's bundled with the system, but the previous number one, Super Mario Bros, was too.

Fallout 3 will have its level cap raised from 20 to 30 when the upcoming DLC is released in March.

A demo of Halo Wars will be released February 5.

A Grey's Anatomy video game? Where is April Fools when you need it?

Rumors of Lego Harry Potter and Lego Rock Band are floating around.

Resident Evil 5
is looking quite good.

Fans get to vote for which Starcraft 2 model will make it into the game.

Check out some new Street Fighter IV screencaps.

Tips/Tricks

Here are the best and worst jobs in the US.

Got old computer gear lying around? Send it to HP and save some money on a new computer.

Contributed by: CyberInferno

Articles found via Arstechnica, Digg, Engadget, The Inquirer, Lifehacker, hackinthebox, HardOCP, Gizmodo, or Slashdot if not directly linked.

Thanks for checking out the technology roundup!

Please direct any comments or suggestions to cyberinferno@gmail.com (or post them in the replies).
10:20 AM on 01/11/09
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Sorry for the delay, everybody. Spam filters can be finicky sometimes
10:24 AM on 01/11/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haha that Justin Long thing is funny.
10:25 AM on 01/11/09
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
Frozen ox testicles?
10:25 AM on 01/11/09
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
iphone is going to order you prostitutes soon. Good God
10:34 AM on 01/11/09
exthuse
punknews is stoked
User Info.
Not the first Twitter proposal may I add. Plus the 2 that are engaged, are pretty big in the tech blog world.
10:35 AM on 01/11/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Good to know one day I can be cloned from my frozen testicles.
10:39 AM on 01/11/09
mrzippo3
User Info.
"Sometimes Big Brother can be a good thing. Police used Google Street View to locate a kidnapped 9-year-old girl."

What is a 9 year old doing with a cell phone?
10:42 AM on 01/11/09
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
Yes, Resi 5 is looking good
10:44 AM on 01/11/09
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Good to know one day I can be cloned from my frozen testicles.
haha, the perfect postmortem gift for any loved ones.
"Sometimes Big Brother can be a good thing. Police used Google Street View to locate a kidnapped 9-year-old girl."

What is a 9 year old doing with a cell phone?
It's shocking how early kids get cell phones these days. I teach tennis camps over the summer and I've seen kids as young as 7 with cell phones. Some have the crippled ones that can only call certain numbers, but others have razrs and other full-fledged phones. It's pretty sad.
10:51 AM on 01/11/09
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
User Info.
I enjoy this feature.
10:51 AM on 01/11/09
mrzippo3
User Info.
Gotta admit my siq brag.. I smoked with Justin Long at a party recently. Dude loves the herb
10:58 AM on 01/11/09
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
What the hell is a twitter? I keep hearing about them but I have no idea what they are?
11:00 AM on 01/11/09
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
haha, the perfect postmortem gift for any loved ones.

It's shocking how early kids get cell phones these days. I teach tennis camps over the summer and I've seen kids as young as 7 with cell phones. Some have the crippled ones that can only call certain numbers, but others have razrs and other full-fledged phones. It's pretty sad.
I think the world is fucked cause nobody knows how to parent anymore. Like the kids who are like 10-17 now are just complete assholes.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests