AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Love, She Wrote - Oh! And About Last Night... Album Cover

Love, She Wrote - Oh! And About Last Night...

Reviewed by
Love, She Wrote - Oh! And About Last Night...
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 2, 2008
Band names with commas can be frustrating. It's hard to make a list of your favorite unsigned bands when they include such comma-laden entries as You, Me, And Everyone We Know; Now, Now Every Children; and Love, She Wrote. The semi-colon list is cumbersome, and, well, no one really knows how to use it right. Thus, I am predisposed to look warily upon bands whose nomenclature brandishes punctuation of any ilk (including exclamation points, colons, and dashes). When I first received Love, She Wrote's EP, Oh! And About Last Night…, then, I had to cock a querulous eyebrow at the notation of the Fort Lauderdale trio's name. Thankfully, many of my punctuation preclusions were laid to rest when I heard the fun power pop-rock these guys cranked out.

This is a saccharine CD, through and through. Oh! And About Last Night… has the energy and boyish charm found on such comparable albums as Underdog Alma Mater or Shh. Just Go With It; however, Love, She Wrote eschews the electronics and emphasizes the "power" in "power pop" with these five songs. "Bling Bling Baby" is a much better song than its title might suggest, kicking off the album with a hook big enough to catch Jaws. As I mentioned, there aren't any electro-beats or synthesized flourishes to be found; however, that definitely works to the band's advantage. On this and every other song on the album, this band proves that synth alone does not a good pop act make, showcasing how important energy is to pop music. From start to finish, Oh! And About Last Night… is full of ebullient, youthful bravado, representing the kind of swagger that makes all the girls swoon at the high school dance.

Love, She Wrote's energy is undeniable; however, it is a problem when they can't keep it under control. "December Nights" would be quite a nice ballad if it built slowly from the acoustic guitar, but the band opts instead to make it a fast-paced rocker like every other song on the album. This lack of variety drags down what would be a stellar EP, as do several genre clichés—most notable in the lyrics. Energetic delivery can't quite salvage lyrics like, "I'll be Romeo and you'll be Juliet," a line that really does make me cringe as a literature major and avid music listener.

The overwrought and overdone tendencies of the EP aside, it is an enjoyable entry into its supersaturated genre. If Love, She Wrote were to perhaps find their own, more unique sound instead of following the power pop trend that has supersaturated the scene, then they might be able to avoid being written off. Until then, this fails to really stand out as anything spectacular.

Recommended if You LikeForever the Sickest Kids; Every Avenue

myspace.com/loveshewrote
This review is a user submitted review from The Personist. You can see all of The Personist's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
09:18 PM on 01/16/09
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
well written review. I've tried to get into the guys but no such luck, kind of wierd since I like many of the bands they're comprable to.
10:05 AM on 01/17/09
tcg47
seek the joy
User Info.
The "Bling Bling Baby" chorus sounds exactly like "Check Yes Juliet."
06:11 PM on 01/18/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Every Avenue doesn't use a synth. Everyone seems to think they do.

Good review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version