AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Too Pure to Die - Confess Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 5.5
Production 7
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 1
Reviewer Tilt 3
Final Verdict: 45%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Too Pure to Die - Confess

Reviewed by: Alex DiVincenzo (01/12/09)
Too Pure to Die - Confess
Record Label: Trustkill Records
Release Date: January 13, 2009

When someone mentions heavy music coming out of Iowa, the first thing that comes to most people's minds is Slipknot (save for a few people who may mention Modern Life Is War). Fellow Iowans Too Pure To Die aren't doing much to change that. The straight edge band begin their career playing pummeling metallic hardcore. It was typical tough-guy stuff, but they were decent at it and, as a result, their music was fun. For their Trustkill Records debut, Confess, the band went in a different direction: the more accessible metalcore route.

When I received the promotional copy of this CD, I popped it into my car's stereo with the anticipation of bringing a car-mosh fueled by brutal breakdowns. It does have a few crunchy breakdowns, but they are among music that sounds like it was written by a bunch of kids who started out playing Korn covers until they realized it wasn't cool anymore and started listening to Hatebreed. I literally ejected the CD from the player to make sure that it was the right disc. To my dismay, it was. This is the new face of Too Pure To Die.

Some people will attribute the change to new vocalist Paul Zurlo. Others will blame Trustkill for ruining another band. Fans will say they've "matured." Most will just cry "sell out" without caring why. Whatever the case, this album is bad; there's no other way to put it. There aren't really any redeeming qualities, outside of the production, which was co-handled by metal machine Zuess (Shadows Fall, All That Remains) and Hatebreed frontman Jamey Jasta (Sworn Enemy). It's a little too polished, but I assume that was the point (think Bury Your Dead's self-titled album).

It seems like Too Pure To Die took a bit too much influence from their hometown heroes for their third album. In addition to the nu-inspired instrumentation (especially in the guitar work), Zurlo's raspy scream is somewhat similar to Slipknot's Corey Taylor. The weak clean vocals do nothing to help the cause. If you're a former nu metal kid just getting into scene metalcore and can't wait for the next Bury Your Dead album, Too Pure to Die's Confess is perfect for you. Otherwise, this is a half hour you won't want to suffer through.

Recommended If You LikeBury Your Dead; Stick to Your Guns; Atreyu; Slipknot

myspace.com/toopuretodie

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
03:12 PM on 01/15/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Well written review. It flowed extremely well, and was extremely to the point. I truthfully like what I've heard from this album, and I don't get the comparison to Slipknot, but I'll assume you know what you're talking about (I've only listened to a little bit of it).
03:15 PM on 01/15/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Well written review. It flowed extremely well, and was extremely to the point. I truthfully like what I've heard from this album, and I don't get the comparison to Slipknot, but I'll assume you know what you're talking about (I've only listened to a little bit of it).
Thanks for the kind words. If you feel differently, please write your own review. I'd be happy to check out your point of view (and have ready many of your past reviews).

Have you heard their older stuff? I think that puts the Slipknot reference more into perspective.
03:32 PM on 01/15/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Thanks for the kind words. If you feel differently, please write your own review. I'd be happy to check out your point of view (and have ready many of your past reviews).

Have you heard their older stuff? I think that puts the Slipknot reference more into perspective.
Only the stuff from their last album they have on their Myspace, I actually just checked it out today when I read a good review for the album. haha.

To me it just seems like pretty cookie-cutter metalcore stuff, but I thought the vocals were rather good, (though extremely polished).
03:59 PM on 01/15/09
vakuola
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, this band is kind of crappy.
What saddens me is the fact that metal core bands know they are bringing nothing new to the table, and they still release albums that sound generic.
Oh well, atleast we have Mis Sigs and Cynic
04:59 PM on 01/15/09
porttheman
SERENITY NOW!
User Info.
great review man! i couldnt agree more.this band is terrible and once again im ashamed that i share the state with them..do yourself a favor and dont even bother listenin to it
12:23 PM on 01/23/09
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
nu metal bs

We're seeing the decline of metalcore one day at a time
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates