AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Exit Ghost - How to Draw a Walrus EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 6
Production 5
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 56%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Exit Ghost - How to Draw a Walrus EP

Reviewed by: Handraa (01/12/09)
Exit Ghost - How to Draw a Walrus
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 16, 2008

Who?

A Post-Hardcore/Experimental-influenced band from Hebron, Connecticut.

How is it?

Ok, to start off, I need to clarify something. This EP has nothing to do with a walrus. That doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a listen though. It starts off with sounds that you would hear in a bomb shelter back in World War II, then the guitarist enters with a fast riff to get things started. Vocalist Ian Bates then brings it down with a soothing melody. You'll hear plenty more of this through out How To Draw A Walrus, although his voice can become very dull throughout the EP. The title track showcases a wonderful mix of the musicianship of Exit Ghost and Bates' well-crafted lyrics. In fact, he does a very good job with the lyrics through out How To Draw A Walrus. The acoustic track, "Orestes," is the most outstanding track on the EP. "When You Run Out Of Things To Burn...," is a slow track and has an ambient feeling that is reminiscent of Thrice. The last track on How To Draw A Walrus, "Queen of the Sea," is fast and is well-constructed.

Exit Ghost has excellent musicianship and I think it would sound better if the production on How To Draw A Walrus was better. But what can you expect from an unsigned band? How To Draw A Walrus is a decent start for Exit Ghost, but they have a long way to go.

Recommended if You Likeprogressive rock; Yours for Mine; Thursday's melodic side

myspace.com/exitghost

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
05:45 PM on 01/17/09
Burn That Shit
a strange turn of events
User Info.
In the review you made it sound like a pretty sweet album but you gave it a pretty harsh score. What was wrong with the album?
06:22 PM on 01/20/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
In the review you made it sound like a pretty sweet album but you gave it a pretty harsh score. What was wrong with the album?
Well, the vocals brung it down for me. If they work on that and produce it a bit more, I think they would be good.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests