Password

Album Review
Seabird - 'Til We See the Shore Album Cover

Seabird - 'Til We See the Shore

Reviewed by
Seabird‘Til We See the Shore
Release Date: June 24, 2008
Record Label: Credential Recordings
Cincinnati is not exactly known for being the music mecca of the Midwest. Far from it. In fact, beyond fostering the likes of Bootsy Collins and Nick Lachey, we don’t really have much beyond the half success of Bottom Line to hang our hats on here. So alas, we eat our delicious chili in peace, and wait patiently. But when a good local musical act does come around, the people of the Queen City take notice.

This has been the case for Credential’s Seabird, who got their start in Cincinnati back in 2004. Taking a look at the band’s list of early tour mates, it should be of little surprise that on their debut LP, Seabird sound like a more mainstream-fixated Lovedrug, with perhaps subtle splashes of Muse, Coldplay, and Aqualung mixed in for good measure. And while bearing a striking stylistic resemblance to Lovedrug on the surface, the Morgan brothers, along with help from Chris Kubik and Aaron Hunt, craft piano-centric jams without the macabre majesty of Everything Starts Where It Ends, and also avoiding the unfortunate grunge of The Sucker Punch Show. Aaron Morgan emulates Michael Shepard quite obviously, but with considerably less vibrato, and tosses in a pinch of Matt Bellamy for good measure.

With these components, the fabric of the individual tracks does not provide a multitude of surprises, you can say. With “Apparitions” sounding like a twinkling Absolution-era Muse number, and others echoing similar sentiments, the results are predictable, but still sure-footed. “Not Alone” treads on more accessible turf, with verses and a bridge sounding right out of Pretend You’re Alive, and an even keener pop ear on the infectious chorus. And of course, having made cameos in many TV dramas to date, “Rescue” has a similar pedigree, justifying the attention the tune has received. “Let Me Go On” then starts off a little flat, but turns the tables with another huge hook, and the piano/banjo 1-2 punch on “Stronger” shows off a brilliant new twist on a well-established style.

Of course, novelty on piano-rock records tends to be confined to a smaller subset of a record's tracks, and ‘Til We See the Shore is no exception. The band first stumbles on “Cottonmouth,” which has a dynamic Morgan singing in sonic disagreement over a decidedly flat musical backdrop – a lull which carries over for most of the album’s remainder. Some salvation is found in the delightful restraint of “Falling for You” but not enough to capture the album’s earlier momentum.

All in all, Seabird do a pretty good job of injecting some life into what can be a stale and tepid genre. At times, however, they seem to seem to throw a bit of everything into the stew at the same time – key/tempo changes, meandering melodies and such – and often for no clear purpose. When the band keeps their songs tighter and more focused, they are indeed capable of transcendent results. While ‘Til We See the Shore might not be the record to put Seabird on the national map and the tips of everyone’s tongues, songs on the record by themselves most certainly are. That’s a pretty good start, I’d say.

Recommended if you like: Lovedrug, Muse, Abandoned Pools, Aqualung, Augustana, Coldplay
This review is a user submitted review from Steve Henderson. You can see all of Steve Henderson's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
10:36 AM on 01/13/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
My brother really likes this band.
10:50 AM on 01/13/09
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
Actually I do enjoy listening to this band every once in a while. They kind of remind me of a The Fray's little brother. Spot on review as usual too.
11:05 AM on 01/13/09
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I'm definately going to check this band out. Credential has put out some fantastic releases (See Jon Foreman, Future of Forestry, Edison Glass, etc)
11:10 AM on 01/13/09
dearmsleading
A City Heart instrumentalist
User Info.
i think you couldn't have put together a more convincing RIYL section. i'll be checking these guys out real soon.
11:11 AM on 01/13/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I'm definately going to check this band out. Credential has put out some fantastic releases (See Jon Foreman, Future of Forestry, Edison Glass, etc)
That Edison Glass album was really good.

I haven't even seen the name Abandoned Pools in years. I forgot they existed: a blast from the past, as they say.
11:15 AM on 01/13/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I need to check our Jon Foreman's stuff. I haven't heard anything but great feedback about it.
11:16 AM on 01/13/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.

I haven't even seen the name Abandoned Pools in years. I forgot they existed: a blast from the past, as they say.
Abandoned Pools were so good. I miss that band.
11:16 AM on 01/13/09
blindrider529
User Info.
DEFINATELY didn't get enough attention in the "scene."

I think a lot of ap.netters would really enjoy them.
11:20 AM on 01/13/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
DEFINATELY didn't get enough attention in the "scene."

I think a lot of ap.netters would really enjoy them.
I reviewed their first album

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=147847
11:22 AM on 01/13/09
blindrider529
User Info.
I need to check our Jon Foreman's stuff. I haven't heard anything but great feedback about it.
Watch his performance at the TWLOHA Heavy & Light event. It was really, really good. Dustin Kensrue even helped him out in one of the first songs. Some of their stuff has a very similar vibe.

His new side-project with Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek, Fiction Family, is great, too. New album comes out next week and is streaming at rhapsody

Yes...I am a link-whore.
11:23 AM on 01/13/09
blindrider529
User Info.
haha then you did your part! Their new(er) album is really good. It's definately a step up from the last one.
11:24 AM on 01/13/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Watch his performance at the TWLOHA Heavy & Light event. It was really, really good. Dustin Kensrue even helped him out in one of the first songs. Some of their stuff has a very similar vibe.

His new side-project with Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek, Fiction Family, is great, too. New album comes out next week and is streaming at rhapsody

Yes...I am a link-whore.
Will check out - thanks.
11:27 AM on 01/13/09
Everiggs
<--------Hot
User Info.
I want to get into this album...I really do.

I just don't think it's catchy enough for my taste.
11:34 AM on 01/13/09
blindrider529
User Info.
Will check out - thanks.
No problem. I hope some of the staff likes it. I really think that there are a lot of people around here who might be surpirsed and really like it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos