AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

MTV News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

James Montgomery and the Album of the Decade

Posted by - 09:13 AM on 01/14/09
James Montgomery has heard the hype over the latest Animal Collective album and has written his thoughts in this week's Bigger Than the Sound. Do you agree?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
09:24 AM on 01/14/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
Late pass.
09:32 AM on 01/14/09
James Shotwell
User Info.
Awesome column. I think a lot of the hype comes from the fact that true fans of this genre cling to and praise albums like no ones business. "Funeral" from Arcade Fire for instance is a solid record, but to them its like a new religion. Every one jumped on that band after that release (well everyone who was "hip) but the majority of the marketplace doesn't find the appeal. Is the American public stupid? To some extent, but at the same time not every gets so called Modern Art. Its a world for the hipsters an people who love living on the edge. Most people don't and though I enjoy this record, I think its impact on the mainstream and music in general will be a bit weaker than most think. "Funeral" only gave us more bands that wanted to sound like Arcade Fire. Just like "oh, inverted world," gave us Shins knock offs. Not putting down the record, its great, but monumental? Not exactly.

Im sure it'll get bumped by years end, gollowing some big fest (sxsw most likely) some new act will emerge with a "unique sound" and the hipster crowd will leach. Just how the cycle goes.
09:40 AM on 01/14/09
mimexcore
User Info.
This is a solid record, but I agree with Montgomery that people are a little hasty placing it as "best album of the year."
09:45 AM on 01/14/09
anamericangod
User Info.
I just don't get why the world is flipping their shit over this album. It is destined to be played in Urban Outfitters and probably an iPod commercial or some shit.
09:48 AM on 01/14/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
I just don't get why the world is flipping their shit over this album. It is destined to be played in Urban Outfitters and probably an iPod commercial or some shit.
It's just dying to be in the next Zach Braff movie. Hahah.
09:50 AM on 01/14/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
Awesome column. I think a lot of the hype comes from the fact that true fans of this genre cling to and praise albums like no ones business. "Funeral" from Arcade Fire for instance is a solid record, but to them its like a new religion. Every one jumped on that band after that release (well everyone who was "hip) but the majority of the marketplace doesn't find the appeal. Is the American public stupid? To some extent, but at the same time not every gets so called Modern Art. Its a world for the hipsters an people who love living on the edge. Most people don't and though I enjoy this record, I think its impact on the mainstream and music in general will be a bit weaker than most think. "Funeral" only gave us more bands that wanted to sound like Arcade Fire. Just like "oh, inverted world," gave us Shins knock offs. Not putting down the record, its great, but monumental? Not exactly.

Im sure it'll get bumped by years end, gollowing some big fest (sxsw most likely) some new act will emerge with a "unique sound" and the hipster crowd will leach. Just how the cycle goes.
The problem is the more popular it gets - the more people will jump off the bandwagon.
10:16 AM on 01/14/09
I Shot Chicago
NPH FTW
User Info.
well i guess i am going to have to buy this album now
10:18 AM on 01/14/09
Liter-O-Cola
Is there a ghost in my house?
User Info.
I have spent a LOT of time listening to this album this past week. Doing my best to ignore the media hyperbole surrounding it, I gave it the most objective listen that I could. In my opinion, it truly is the best album of the year so far, and it has potential to be the best album of all of 2009, but it's simply outlandish to oh-so-prematurely bestow it with that honor. In general, I agree with Mr. Montgomery's take on the media/blog-o-sphere's response to the album. Anything could happen in the music scene this year, and in all honesty, I hope that something comes out that is better than MPP because that would just prove 2009 to be a memorable year for music. Either way, the album is excellent sonically, vocally, and in the overall mood and impact it has on me as a listener. If you can, try to look past the enormous buzz surrounding MPP and give it an honest listen. Otherwise you're just depriving yourself of an album you could possibly love just out of principle.

To quote Goldfinger, "really it's just music, afterall."
10:28 AM on 01/14/09
Marsbar
User Info.
It's funny that of the two songs I have already ("My Girls" and "Bluish") only one is mentioned in his article (and in most reviews I've read), and only for a sentence, yet on the merit of those songs alone I'm unreasonably excited for this album.
10:31 AM on 01/14/09
romantic rights
User Info.

I love how people on ap.net are still making a bigger deal over this album than other places, I'm curious to see how the ap.net bandwagon for the album rolls once we get to December.
10:34 AM on 01/14/09
Jason Tate
User Info.

I love how people on ap.net are still making a bigger deal over this album than other places, I'm curious to see how the ap.net bandwagon for the album rolls once we get to December.
It's being called the album of the decade other places (not to mention the links in the original post) ... and yet AP.net is making a big deal over it? Whatever drugs you're on - please share with the rest of the class.
10:37 AM on 01/14/09
B-Bones
"The Christlike Christian"
User Info.
Dude, this album is awesome. Definitely one of my favorite albums I've heard in a long while.
10:39 AM on 01/14/09
mcdavis2
User Info.
all i know for sure at the present time is that it's damn fun to listen to.
10:43 AM on 01/14/09
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
User Info.
Album of the decade? Not even close.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT