Password

Album Review

Thursday - Common Existence Album Cover

Thursday - Common Existence

Reviewed by
ThursdayCommon Existence
Release Date: February 17, 2009
Record Label: Epitaph
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The critical and fan reception to Thursday’s 2006 release, A City By The Light Divided, were, at best, lukewarm. It caused a divide among fans; either you loved it or you hated it. There was no middle ground. City took on a more experimental route with Thursday’s signature sound still woven in. Some complain about the tone of the album, most complained about the production of Dave Fridmann (I personally love it). So when the Jersey sextet announced that Fridmann would be producing the band’s Epitaph debut, Common Existence, fans were naturally wary.

The fears of some will be squashed immediately when first single “Resuscitation of a Dead Man” blasts out of the barrel. The openers on each Thursday album have always been a kick in the balls, and this track is no different. “Resuscitation” sets the pace of Common Existence: urgent and in your face. “Last Call” gradually rises into the beautiful crashing of cymbals and chords. The track is calm and chaotic at once, leaving you dizzy. And “Friends In The Armed Forces” is an absolute doozy. The guitar chords rip as vocalist Geoff Rickly yelps frantically.

“Beyond The Visible Spectrum” begins with a methodical drum roll and sampled strings that are quickly evaporated by the frenzy of chords from guitarists Tom Keeley and Steve Pedulla. The song is equally gentle and forceful, incorporating different sensations throughout. “Time’s Arrow” is a slow acoustic track that will swoon through your earphones.

“Unintended Long Term Effects” is like one of those 5-hour energy drinks. The urgency in Rickly’s voice, along with some well-placed screams, will make this an immediate fan favorite. The fluidity of “Circuits Of Fever” and “Subway Funeral” is pristine and set the stage for the final two tracks of Common Existence. “Love Has Led Us Astray” is a delicate track that pulsates through your veins. The subtleties in this track are what make it standout.

The final track, “You Were The Cancer,” reminds me of why I fell in love with Thursday so many years ago. The intro of the track is like a warning signal, informing you of oncoming chaos. This track bleeds emotion. The screams are perfect, the bridge is chilling, and the outro is remarkable. This is easily one of the ten best Thursday songs ever, and when the dust settles, you, the listener, will sit in silence briefly, trying to take in what just hit you.

Over the course of the last few years, Thursday has seemed to be the forgotten band, one we take for granted. But with Common Existence, Thursday will be knocking down doors throughout 2009. It has been a long time since Thursday has been this good musically and lyrically. This album will win back all of those who gave up on Thursday after City was released. On “Resuscitation of a Dead Man,” Rickly sings, “Can you feel a pulse?/It’s been stopped for so long./Let’s restart it!” I couldn’t sum up the album and its impact any better.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Resuscitation of a Dead Man (ft. Tim McIlrath of Rise Against)
2. Last Call
3. As He Climbed The Dark Mountain
4. Friends In The Armed Forces
5. Beyond The Visible Spectrum
6. Time's Arrow
7. Unintended Long Term Effects
8. Circuits of Fever
9. Subway Funeral
10. Love Has Led Us Astray
11. You Were The Cancer
Produced by: Dave Fridmann

Thursday is:
Geoff Rickly - vocals
Tom Keeley - guitar
Tim Payne - bass
Tucker Rule - drums
Steve Pedulla - guitar
Andrew Everding - keys

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 157
10:50 PM on 01/15/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Awesome review Drew. Did you like this less then ACBTLD or has your rating just changed?

I really like this album.
10:51 PM on 01/15/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
i cant wait to hear this record.
10:52 PM on 01/15/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
oh and awesome review Drew.
11:03 PM on 01/15/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Awesome review Drew. Did you like this less then ACBTLD or has your rating just changed?

I really like this album.
I like it a lot more than ACBTLD.
11:10 PM on 01/15/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Nice review. First impressions are good, needs more listens though.
11:15 PM on 01/15/09
Burn That Shit
a strange turn of events
User Info.
Cool review. I haven't heard anything from this yet but I'm pumped.
12:15 AM on 01/16/09
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
That was quick. Im excited to listen to this.
12:16 AM on 01/16/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Holy shit, you are right -- "You Were The Cancer" is remarkable.

I've flipped through it, but not enough to form an opinion yet. Nice work, Drew.
12:32 AM on 01/16/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
That was quick. Im excited to listen to this.
I have had the album for three weeks.
12:36 AM on 01/16/09
Un'Aria Ancora
The best happiness money can buy.
User Info.
Oh God, I'm happy in the pants.
01:07 AM on 01/16/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Great review, dude. I have a good feeling that you're right on the money.
01:46 AM on 01/16/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
This just made my day
03:39 AM on 01/16/09
Toner
I'll Always Never Know
User Info.
You have got me far too pumped for "You Were The Cancer"...

Thursday closers are always killer. "Autumn Leaves Revisited" and "Tomorrow I'll Be You" both stand as some of my all time favourite songs. If "You Were The Cancer" is on the same scale and grandeur of those songs I may well explode with contentment...
06:22 AM on 01/16/09
iwasahero
molsh
User Info.
Love it.

Last three songs are awesome, favorite track on the album after two listens would be Subway Funeral.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos