AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
So Long Forgotten - Baptism EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.88
Musicianship 9.38
Lyrics 9.63
Production 8.63
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.13
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

So Long Forgotten - Baptism EP

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (01/16/09)
So Long ForgottenBaptism EP
Record Label: none
Release Date: November 15, 2008

Dunk me in the water/ I will come out new again

No, they’re not talking about swimming lessons. Yes, So Long Forgotten is a Christian band, and a damn talented one at that.

Once a band has been tagged with the Christian label, most people immediately want to know just how Christian they are (i.e., is this a subtle type of reverence or are we listening to scripture set to music?). Make no mistake about it, So Long Forgotten fully embrace their spirituality and it shines out of every note on the Baptism EP. While lyrics like “I grew into a righteous man/ I gave my life to the sacrificial lamb” don’t leave much to the imagination, I doubt you’ll hear much of So Long Forgotten’s music at your local worship service. Propelled by deftly penned lyrics (“Brace this place with praises/ ‘Cause God I need your graces”) that are soaked in rich imagery and metaphor (“But the trees, but the trees/ They are bending at the knees”) and are both crooned and yelled at various points, the tracks of the Baptism EP are more of a private, passionate, and penitent prayer than a public exaltation.

A few shimmering chords are struck before the rolling riffs and tumbling percussion of “The Lion and the Fox” burst into motion. Consisting of greater parts parable than typical song structure, the tune reads like apologetics, offering miniature bulbs of faith that will grow, be tested, and eventually persevere throughout the course of the EP. Next, the aptly titled “Where There is Ruin, There is Hope for a Treasure” paints the inherent conflict hidden beneath the surface of wars founded on religion. This tension leaves vocalist Micah Boyce crying, “I’d love to believe the world’s not a mess/ When our blessings come at the price of the oppressed.” It’s his aggression that makes this track believable and not just another entry in the endless list of protest tunes.

“The Wind Ran Out of Breath” is the preparation, the calm before and after the storm, as it were, in which a change is realized. Its structure moves accordingly from eerie quiet to thundering, choppy intensity and back to stillness. The bookends tremble effectively, but the middle gets a bit bogged down in its agitation. The highlight of the EP is certainly “Of Brilliance and Baptism,” a baldly honest song draped over a framework of wiry, gnarled riffs. So Long Forgotten, in their typical style, force us to look deeply into the mirror, exposing our shallow desires and faux-kindness. Boyce sings of both love and hate as colorful costumes we adopt without actually giving of ourselves, musing at the song’s conclusion that, “We are such colorful beings/ We are brilliant, colorful, colorful beings.” “Taupe Olive Gold” should be a lovely, subdued final note, but with its mournfully whispered lyrics and tortured guitars, it’s practically comatose. It’s not exactly bad, it just can’t quite muster the strength to nail home the point of the EP.

With another album on the books, So Long Forgotten continue to impress with their textual brand of zealous devotion. While these lyrics probably weren't pulled from a dusty urn in the Egyptian desert, the band’s modern religious poetics are a testament to both their talent and their faith. Don’t let your beliefs, whatever they may be, turn you off from So Long Forgotten before giving them a listen. Chances are, their intricate instrumentation, off-kilter transitions, and concentrated ardor will be as revelatory of an experience for you as it was for me.

Track List1. The Lion and the Fox
2. Where There is Ruin, There is Hope for a Treasure
3. The Wind Ran Out of Breath
4. Of Brilliance and Baptism
5. Taupe Olive Gold

Give it a try if you like…My Epic; Greenwood; The Glass Ocean; mewithoutyou’s tact

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
02:37 PM on 01/16/09
pleasedontpanic
I believe. Help my unbelief.
User Info.
I dig. Most definitely going to pick this up.
03:52 PM on 01/16/09
apresnuledeluge
Never too fat to fly
User Info.
I loved Beneath Our Noble Heads, but my biggest gripe with it was the lack of energy as compared to their live show. The songwriting was top-notch, but I felt the production really held it back. I'm looking forward to hearing what they've done on this ep though.

That said, every fan of this band should see this video:
06:43 PM on 01/16/09
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I'm really glad this band gets reviewed on here. I remember seeing them back when they were pretty tiny at New Years shows around my home town. Glad they are getting some recognition.
12:17 PM on 01/17/09
zooeyglass
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
there is a difference between being a christian band and a band of christians. but anyone who doesn't comprehend the subtle beauty of taupe olive gold probably couldn't understand that. i really appreciate you taking someone's art and giving it a grade though. even if it's a good grade--that's not the point of art.
02:12 PM on 01/17/09
apresnuledeluge
Never too fat to fly
User Info.
there is a difference between being a christian band and a band of christians. but anyone who doesn't comprehend the subtle beauty of taupe olive gold probably couldn't understand that. i really appreciate you taking someone's art and giving it a grade though. even if it's a good grade--that's not the point of art.
You're right, its not. However, by positively grading an album, the reviewer is turning a ton of people onto this band who never would have heard of them otherwise.

THAT is the point of music; being heard. Most bands would be stoked to have a review paint them in such a positive light.
05:37 PM on 01/17/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Good review. This band is seriously good. Anyone with mewithoutYou's tact can't be anything less I suppose.
01:44 AM on 01/19/09
WutRickAstley?
Runs this city
User Info.
This E.P. is so good.
10:15 PM on 01/20/09
Ryan Rumsey
Good Business Moves
User Info.
I have yet to hear this. But i have seen them live on many occasions (mostly cornerstone). They played a few newer songs live and they were great so am i sure this is also great.
10:43 AM on 01/22/09
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
i guess we should just stop reviewing music then, eh? after all, if all we're doing here is "grading art," we might as well just passively listen without responding.

i understand that you're touring buddies with these guys, so it makes sense for you to be defensive, but 80% is a damn good score for a damn good record. but i guess anyone who thinks "art" is impervious to comment as it sits atop some ivory pedestal probably couldn't understand that.
02:09 PM on 01/25/09
zooeyglass
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i regret any remarks in first post that are condescending and insulting. on reading a second time i realize i sound like a dick. however, i think the heart of what i'm saying makes sense. this band has made themselves vulnerable--and put their hearts out there for the world--and you gave it a B-.
07:32 AM on 01/26/09
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
i regret any remarks in first post that are condescending and insulting. on reading a second time i realize i sound like a dick. however, i think the heart of what i'm saying makes sense. this band has made themselves vulnerable--and put their hearts out there for the world--and you gave it a B-.
fair enough, if we worked on an inflated scale, a B- wouldn't be so hot, it's true. but most of us try to reserve "A" grades for monumental, revelatory albums, and this one doesn't qualify. again, i emphasize that it's a great album and 80% is a good score for this site. in the end, it's just a worthless number anyway. the text of a review is really what matters and i think this review speaks for itself. to argue that a band has "put their hearts out there for the world" is silly. or rather, it's part of the business. this is what the music industry is about. if you're worried about "vulnerability" (read: exposure, press, etc), then you're in the wrong business.
06:40 PM on 06/09/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
really good band.
really good ep.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates