Password

Album Review

Cash Cash - Cash Cash EP Album Cover

Cash Cash - Cash Cash EP

Reviewed by
Cash CashCash Cash EP
Record Label: Universal Republic
Release Date: October 7, 2008
Cash Cash are a band that know how to have a good time. They're the friends that show up at your lame social gathering and turn it into a party.

In a time where today's scene consists of bands that may use similar tools in their music, like synthesizers, programmed beats, and vocoders, Cash Cash use these tools as a means to enhance their music. Where bands use these tools to define their music, and seem all too serious pursuing the idea that they're artists, Cash Cash are just trying to get you up and dancing.

Their debut EP Cash Cash does this from the get go. After a few awkward sounding synthesized beats, a poppy, simple keyboard part is played and partially mirrored in melody by singer/guitarist Jean Paul Makhlouf, and rim shot drum hits kick in. Which, at the very least, should put a smile on the listener's face. Within a few bars, the whole band comes in and gives the songs a “get-up-and-dance” vibe. The other three songs follow suit, starting in simplicity, then exploding into a frenzy that make the listener's feet do the same. Each song is filled with a lively attitude that is sure to make heads bop, toes tap, and hips swing.

The track that stands out the most, and has the most single potential, is “Party in Your Bedroom.” It starts with the first line of the chorus sung a capella through a vocoder, which follows with the full chorus played quietly, teasing at the fun to follow. Then, like the rest of the songs on this phenomenal EP, it blows wide open and invites the listener in to the festivities. There are parts to this song that tease at the idea of a 1980's influence as well. If you listen to the end of each phrase during the verse, there is a short syth chord that swells up and sounds like an audio clip from the “Ghostbusters” theme. All the more reason to get up and dance...in your bedroom.

The only downside to this EP is that there are parts that sound too much like they were produced on a computer. Analog and digital arguments aside, sometimes things are too noticeably filtered through a computer. Case in point is the song “Two Days Old.” The song, while very catchy, starts off sounding like it was made with a midi player more than with actual instruments. The digital beats, vocoder singing, and synths coalesce nicely with the rest of the parts of the songs, but the intro and bridge before the verses makes it feel like listening to a high school band's demo. Not to discredit the song, but for a release as great as this, it seems bizarre to have something sounding like a computer generated demo.

All things said, this is a great release. With catchy hooks, big choruses, dance beats, and even some heavy guitar riffs, this is a solid EP. If you're looking for the next big band to play at your party when your parents are gone for the weekend, look no further than Cash Cash's Cash Cash. It's sure to turn those awkward social gatherings into a party that will be remembered.

Recommended if You LikeForever the Sickest Kids; Metro Station; Cobra Starship

www.myspace.com/cashcash
This review is a user submitted review from emoneil. You can see all of emoneil's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
10:11 PM on 01/31/09
tcg47
seek the joy
User Info.
Good review; however, while your review may encourage people to check them out, your RIYL probably will push them away haha. Although I personally love FTSK, they're pretty divisive around here, as are Cobra Starship - and Metro Station just doesn't get much love at all.

I'll check it out, though.
12:12 AM on 02/01/09
alltimelove
Yule Shoot Your Eye Out
User Info.
I wouldn't go as far as to compare them to Metro Station. They're catchy, so they deserve a little more credit
12:26 AM on 02/01/09
dearmsleading
A City Heart instrumentalist
User Info.
Yeah, the RIYL is both misleading and right at the same time. fans of those bands WOULD like cash cash, but the truth of the matter is that some people who might actually like cash cash will be turned off by the association with those bands.

Here's the bottom line, for those not in the know.-

Cash Cash makes the other "neon" bands in the scene sound like trash in comparison. Seriously, if you're not a fan of that stuff, there's a very good chance that Cash Cash will still offer you something.
12:44 AM on 02/01/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
The rating is too high.
03:32 AM on 02/01/09
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
i am eagerly awaiting the death of this type of music.
05:21 AM on 02/01/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The rating is too high.
Agree.

Good review; however, while your review may encourage people to check them out, your RIYL probably will push them away haha. Although I personally love FTSK, they're pretty divisive around here, as are Cobra Starship - and Metro Station just doesn't get much love at all.

I'll check it out, though.

I think the comparisons are quite fair actually. I have seen these guys constantly compared to MS, although they don't sound exactly the same as them (or any of the other bands mentioned)
08:17 AM on 02/01/09
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
I like these guys but seriously way too high on creativity. That should easily be about a 5. That said, I appreciate you didn't talk shit on these guys.
08:34 AM on 02/01/09
pennyflipnfe
User Info.
wow
01:44 PM on 02/01/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Creativity is way too high, like already said, but I like them. And yeah, while they are comparable to Metro Station, Cash Cash makes much better music.
02:17 PM on 02/01/09
Machu505
yep
User Info.
Well I won't be listening to this.
03:27 PM on 02/01/09
xtheaudition
User Info.
i am listening to the full length now =D
02:26 AM on 02/02/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Agree.

I think the comparisons are quite fair actually. I have seen these guys constantly compared to MS, although they don't sound exactly the same as them (or any of the other bands mentioned)
10:35 PM on 02/02/09
tcg47
seek the joy
User Info.
Now that I've listened to it, I'll agree that the RIYL makes a lot of sense. They remind me a lot of FTSK, and sort of Metro Station if they were ever good.

I've found that I can't stop listening to it. Guilty pleasured I guess
06:16 PM on 02/03/09
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
Their full-length is pretty painful to listen to but it does have a few good songs.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos