Password

Album Review
Andrew Bird - Noble Beast Album Cover

Andrew Bird - Noble Beast

Reviewed by
Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
US Release Date: January 20th, 2009
Record Label: Fat Possum Records
He's a classically trained violinist, and he knows how to whistle better than 99 percent of the population. Since he's made a name for himself as solo artist, Andrew Bird doesn't lack on musicianship kudos. And on Noble Beast, his newest album, Bird does more of his great stuff. So silky, intelligible and soaring, atmospheric is a lenient description of what he can do with arrangements and his voice, a humble and rich instrument. He's a leader in the contemporary art rock and the baroque pop genre, and there's a good reason for that.

Like his previous albums and 2006's Armchair Apocrypha, this full-length is a high standard of talent, genre fusion and intuitiveness. Yet, on Noble Beast, there's a note of accessibility that gives Bird the chance to bow sweet to new listeners. It's a combination of faster tempos and a wider berth of the folk influence. Simply, it's catchier. You'll still have trouble keeping up with his extensive, graciously weaving glossary, but the speeds are easy to digest. "Fitz & Dizzyspells" works in the throws of indie rock chops like The Shins; a violin that rocks more than sips at its whine, guitars that stroll about the rolling beat. It's Andrew Bird, certainly, but it's almost a new leaf. The fuzzy electronics on "Not A Robot, But A Ghost" are out of place and less organic than the rest, but it's the only track on the record that doesn't mesh.

Noble Beast's finest moments stem from repetitive and pulsating guitar parts or pizzicato, the sharp plucking of a violin's strings. Like on "Tenuousness", the acoustic guitar shuffle and yanking quips are a premium example of Bird's elegant folklore. The repetitive guitar line of "Anonanimal" is straight bad-ass, gets down in the middle and then sweeps along to the end with a post-rock trademark. Both are outstanding. The somewhat hidden star of the album - understandably out-shined by the talent of the artist it contains - is the production (although that's nothing new). Every detail is explored in a panoramic view, and there's nothing that goes by unattended, particularly the percussion. Bouncy, like stuffed from a home-cooked meal, each track sounds freshly cut.

It's doubtful that Andrew Bird's breezier, relaxed approach on Noble Beast will swoop mainstream radio because he's too talented anyway, but more importantly, these are assured Andrew Bird works. They swirl around the same into floaty, majestic pieces. They're part gypsy, part orchestra, wholly complex and all smart. And I'm not surprised.

RIYLThe Shins, Death Cab For Cutie, Rufus Wainwright, Sufjan Stevens, Ray LaMontagne
Additional InformationAP.net Profile | Myspace | Standard Edition | Useless Creatures Deluxe Edition
This review is a user submitted review from Julia Conny. You can see all of Julia Conny's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
07:36 PM on 01/19/09
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Great review Julia.

I'm really excited for this. I got into his stuff towards the beginning of last year, so this will be the first album he has released since I've been a true fan.
07:53 PM on 01/19/09
cereal4life
User Info.
Thanks for the review Julia! It's excellent.

I'm really stoked to hear this. I just knew that Mr Bird wouldn't let me down.
09:37 PM on 01/19/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Great review. I'm picking up the special edition tomorrow.
More people need to listen to more Andrew more often.
11:07 PM on 01/19/09
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Every so often, a release comes by that takes me COMPLETELY by surprise. Last year it was Bon Iver and Astronautalis, this year, already, Andrew Bird's is that release.

Well, Julia, first Pompeii and now Andrew Bird. Thanks once again, twice; one for the introduction, and two for the subsequent formalities.
07:03 AM on 01/20/09
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
love it. great album and a review to match. well done, j-party
08:18 AM on 01/20/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Great review Julia.

I'm really excited for this. I got into his stuff towards the beginning of last year, so this will be the first album he has released since I've been a true fan.

That's sumthin' special. Spread the love!
08:19 AM on 01/20/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Thanks for the review Julia! It's excellent.

I'm really stoked to hear this. I just knew that Mr Bird wouldn't let me down.

Same here, I knew my high expectations would be met.
08:21 AM on 01/20/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Great review. I'm picking up the special edition tomorrow.
More people need to listen to more Andrew more often.

Agreed. His skill shouldn't go unrecognized. He's the kind of musician that is better than 99 percent of everything else that's out there right now.
08:22 AM on 01/20/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Every so often, a release comes by that takes me COMPLETELY by surprise. Last year it was Bon Iver and Astronautalis, this year, already, Andrew Bird's is that release.

Well, Julia, first Pompeii and now Andrew Bird. Thanks once again, twice; one for the introduction, and two for the subsequent formalities.

Were totally on the same page. I think this album is gonna stick with me for a long time.
08:23 AM on 01/20/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
love it. great album and a review to match. well done, j-party

Thanks T-dogg!
10:44 AM on 01/20/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I was tenative on picking this up, and if the funds are present, you have swayed me to purchase this album. Fantastic review as always, Julia.
10:45 AM on 01/20/09
ashiex3
Oh, but the world is a mess.
User Info.
good review. i need to go pick up this album.

and i wish i could whistle as well as andrew bird.
10:46 AM on 01/20/09
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
He is a very talented musician, and this album is an impressive work.
I was very excited, and the album did not let me down!
It was exactly what i was looking for!

Nice Review!
11:01 AM on 01/20/09
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Been a Bird fan for several years now. Hope this release lives up to his past few, like you suggest.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos