Password

Album Review

Here's My Chance - Through The Towns EP Album Cover

Here's My Chance - Through The Towns EP

Reviewed by
Here’s My ChanceThrough The Towns EP
Record Label – None
Release Date – 30th December 2008
I may be wrong, but I’m going to go ahead and assume that this is the debut EP from the Iowa rock quartet. If I’m wrong I blame iTunes because it won’t tell me otherwise. We could go into the details of why I dislike both the program and the store, but I have an EP to review, if you don’t mind.

Through The Towns leads off with “This Town I Know,” a strong opener featuring gang vocals a-la-abunchofbandswhosenameican’tthinkof rightnow (spell-check hates me right now). Of course, that’s not a negative thing – it works well within the song and fits seamlessly with the guitars and lead vocals. As for the song as a whole, it’s energetic, catchy and pretty easy to sing along to. In fact, the gang vocals almost invite you to sing along. However, there is one major gripe that I have with this song and pretty much every other song on the EP: it is way too treble-heavy. The guitars are clear-cut and crisp, but there is little-to-no bass evident in any of the songs and, yes, I know that Guitar Hero III will tell you on pretty much every loading screen that this is the best thing that can happen to your music, but here’s the thing: it’s not. Without much evidence of bass, the music ends up sounding hollow and, in places, lifeless and I’m pretty sure that most people aren’t musical necrophiliacs

Following on from that comes “Watchin’ The Lines,” a song very reminiscent in style of Close To Home, a thought that struck me repeatedly during the course of my listening to this record and probably brought about in my mind by the fact that I a) only own an unmastered copy of any Close To Home music and b) the music isn’t as vocally-based, with the vocals seeming to be a little sunken. The third song, “Blame It On The Weather,” (isn’t talking about the weather a very British thing to do?) fits together very well, bringing together more of the same energy and style that makes the band promising. “Disbelief,” the fourth track, is much the same, though the lyrics are a little uninspired in places.

The most energetic song on the EP is the fifth, entitled “From Heart To Soul,” with everything on this track meshing well, with so much energy and excitement that one might even describe it as “kickin’.” However, I don’t use that word, so we’ll have to just settle for it being a good song. There are some well-placed studio claps featured, but they’re terribly recorded – just one further example of how the ideas on this EP have been well-conceived but poorly executed.

“Through The Towns,” the title track, closes the EP, though I found it to be hit-or-miss, simultaneously liking and disliking the song and in that way it almost summarizes the record. You see, it is fairly well-written and pretty well-played – there’s no denying that these guys are talented. However, the EP is, in places, a little limp and lifeless, probably mostly down to the production and subsequent lack of bass on the recordings.

Here’s My Chance clearly have promise. I hope they manage to improve upon their strengths with their next release - they are back in the studio as I write this - and rectify their weaknesses.

Track Listing1. This Life I Know
2. Watchin’ The Lines
3. Blame It On The Weather
4. Disbelief
5. From Heart To Soul
6. Through The Towns

Recommended If You LikeJust Surrender, Close To Home

Websitewww.myspace.com/heresmychancemusic
This review is a user submitted review from DaveZeroZero. You can see all of DaveZeroZero's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version