AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Reel Big Fish - Fame, Fortune and Fornication Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics N/A
Production 7.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 4.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.95
Musicianship 5.95
Production 4.75
Creativity 4.95
Lasting Value 4.55
Reviewer Tilt 5.95
Average: 54%
Inside AP.net

Reel Big Fish - Fame, Fortune and Fornication

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (01/20/09)
Reel Big Fish - Fame, Fortune and Fornication
Record Label: Rock Ridge Music
Release Date: January 20, 2009

When it comes to be Aaron Barrett's birthday (coincidentally, the same day as mine... *a-hem*), I think we all know what he'll want most: either a new batch of records to find songs in need of a ska-metal tuneup or "Sebastian Bach's Guide to Wearing Hot Pants." Either way, it will be money well-spent, seeing that Reel Big Fish is making the most out of their notorious admiration for hair metal and covers.

Alright, alright -- we all know the band's history already, because it's likely that only fans will be giving this 10-song collection of covers, handsomely titled Fame, Fortune and Fornication, a real listen. Starting out as a cover band much like they represent here, Barrett & company have made some classic songs into fan favorites over the years (oftentimes including at least one cover of a song on an album), and despite the undesirably-short running time, there will undoubtedly be a few selections here for future Warped Tour runs.

However, with only 10 songs, all falling under the same style-umbrella of ska-based covers of non-humorous songs made to be humorous (well, the jury is still out on whether or not Poison ever took themselves seriously), you can only give the band credit where credit is due. They don't do anything very original with their new versions, either speeding them up or slowing them down. I mean, really, what else can you do? They've done this before with Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer, and that EP's charm ultimately worked to its advantage, as Barrett and Rachel Minton fused together quite well.

Taking a page from the Scrubs handbook, the album highlight is "Talk Dirty To Me," a duet between Barrett and Tatiana DeMaria, done with British accents (as to why, I'm not sure). It's a wonderfully silly finale to an album that wants to be the life of the party, but never manages to pull the lampshade off of its head. The band does get some miles out of Tom Petty & The Eagles (two of the album's more restrained covers), but Slade? Edna's Goldfish? These are songs not many fans will be all-too familiar with, taking away some of the novelty in this release -- and haven't we heard enough covers of "Brown Eyed Girl" already?

Fans will eat this up, because really, Fame is for them. This will fail to win any doubters over, but rest assured that the party Reel Big Fish brings to the table is hardly evident on record. Visit any one of their live shows and maybe the album kickoff, "Nothin' But A Good Time," will play better with stage lights flashing, beer raining down from on high, naked girls wiggling their tight booties and Fun Dip littering the crowd*.

Wait a second -- two Poison covers on one Reel Big Fish album?!

This has been the most exposure Bret Michaels has received since that tape of he and Pamela Anderson leaked.

No pun intended.

*These features of Reel Big Fish's live show are not guaranteed, but may have simply been incorporated in the dream I had while listening to this album.

Recommended if You LikePerms; "horny" bands; spitting out gin and lighting it on fire; Duet All Night Long
Choice Cuts"Talk Dirty To Me," "The Long Run" and "Won't Back Down"

Band MembersAaron Barrett: lead vocals/lead guitar
Scott Klopfenstein: trumpet/vocals
Derek Gibbs: bass
John Christianson: trumpet
Dan Regan: trombone
Ryland Steen: drums
Track Listing1. Nothin' But A Good Time
2. Mama Weer All Crazee Now
3. Veronica Sawyer
4. Authority Song
5. Brown Eyed Girl
6. The Long Run
7. Won't Back Down
8. Keep A Cool Head
9. Monkey Man
10. Talk Dirty To Me

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseAmazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
08:13 PM on 01/20/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Good review, Chris.

Though I believe Bret Michaels spells his name with just one "t". Though that knowledge says a little more about me than you. Just putting that out there.
09:50 PM on 01/20/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Good review, Chris.

Though I believe Bret Michaels spells his name with just one "t". Though that knowledge says a little more about me than you. Just putting that out there.
This is why you will win each night of Poison trivia when we get our groups all set up for game night.
09:52 PM on 01/20/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
This is why you will win each night of Poison trivia when we get our groups all set up for game night.
Hahahahaha. I suck.
09:52 PM on 01/20/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
For what it's worth, I thought this album was all right.
11:43 PM on 01/20/09
Burn That Shit
a strange turn of events
User Info.
Look at that album art, A+!
10:21 AM on 01/21/09
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
Reel Big Fish seems to be just going through the motions now, sortof living of the fame, fortune and i guess 'fornication' of one great album that's more then ten years old now.

Still of the recent batch of cover albums that have come out this is one of the better ones, better then the Have a Ball left overs from last year, and alot better then the more recent NFG edition.
10:35 AM on 01/21/09
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
iTunes has an extra track: "Twist and Crawl" by The English Beat, I believe.
10:47 AM on 01/21/09
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Reel Big Fish seems to be just going through the motions now, sortof living of the fame, fortune and i guess 'fornication' of one great album that's more then ten years old now.

Still of the recent batch of cover albums that have come out this is one of the better ones, better then the Have a Ball left overs from last year, and alot better then the more recent NFG edition.
Why Do They Rock So Hard? > Turn the Radio Off
11:46 AM on 01/21/09
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
Why Do They Rock So Hard? > Turn the Radio Off
12:17 PM on 01/21/09
xtheaudition
User Info.
nice. i might check it out
12:18 PM on 01/21/09
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Laugh if you'd like, but it's a better album from a songwriting standpoint, and the hooks are stronger.
01:01 PM on 01/21/09
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
For what it's worth, I thought this album was all right.
Not wrong whatsoever? :)
02:06 PM on 01/21/09
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
I think the songs are bad.
02:43 PM on 01/21/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I think the songs are bad.
At least three of them are really icky, but the three I listed under "Choice Cuts" are worth getting ahold of.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums