AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Now and Forever - Of Wounds and Blessings... EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.33
Musicianship 6.17
Lyrics 6.25
Production 6.42
Creativity 6.08
Lasting Value 6.33
Reviewer Tilt 6.33
Average: 63%

Now and Forever - Of Wounds and Blessings... EP

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (01/22/09)
Now and ForeverOf Wounds and Blessings… EP
Record Label: unsigned
Release Date: October 25, 2008

‘Twas a dark and stormy night. We walked to where the waves battered the coast and mused aloud. Then things cleared up all of a sudden and we exchanged words with a blacksmith. He’s awfully good at his job. We smiled, despite our troubles. The sunset was quiet and beautiful and triumphant.

Wait, what?

Welcome to Of Wounds and Blessings…, the latest EP from Minnesota rockers Now and Forever. If you’re confused, get used to it. The band’s eclectic mix of moods is as topsy-turvy as Alice’s meanderings through Wonderland, and every bit as intricate. Of Wounds and Blessings… borrows some ambience from the band’s Minnesota brethren, Weaver at the Loom (the EP was actually recorded and produced in part by Weaver’s Izaac Burkhart), and whips it into a whirlwind with the passionate rock stylings of bands such as Circa Survive, Thrice, and This Providence. The result, when juxtaposed against lead singer/lyricist Dan Mariska’s intense meditations, is a living, breathing landscape of craggy chords and soaring melodies.

It’s this landscape that the listener traverses, and for a five-song EP, we certainly cover a lot of ground. The journey begins in a dark place (“The King and the Thief”), vaulting from quiet murmurs of “You don’t have to breathe underwater/ If you don’t want to” to thundering percussion, shrieking riffs, and volatile cries of “Bite your tongue/ Bite your tongue!” “Lions” continues to wind through narrow crevices, throwing minor chords onto black, oil-slick flames and hiking endlessly into the yawning earth to find the sun, which in this upside-down world is buried deep underground.

Yet somehow, after two tracks, we emerge into the light. “The Blacksmith” and “We Make Our Beds” are both finely crafted rock anthems, praising our transformed surroundings with bright atmospheres built of fantastically exultant instrumentation. These are the sumptuous rolling hills of the EP, coated as they are in the delicious pairing of blooming guitars and vocal patterns that climb ceaselessly skyward. And of course we follow them in “Through Glass on Windows” as the album peaks in the clouds, held aloft by a long crescendo of interwoven suspended keys, breathy “oohs,” and cascading cymbals. Ending on a high note has been redefined.

Now and Forever have led us down a strange, twisting road. Although the music’s character shifts from one scene to another, often in strict opposition, the album melts together into a well-executed harmonic expedition. Minnesota has once again turned out a talented group of up-and-comers writing some of the best melodic rock on the market. It would be wise to tune in and take a trip with Now and Forever and the Of Wounds and Blessings… EP.

Track List1. The King and the Thief
2. Lions
3. The Blacksmith
4. We Make Our Beds
5. Through Glass on Windows

Give it a try if you like…Weaver at the Loom; As Cities Burn; In Harbour; This Providence

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
07:35 PM on 01/22/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Wow. This band and album are impressive. And wow, do the vocals sound like Aaron Gillespie on "Lions."
02:54 AM on 01/23/09
Fycus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This EP is amazing! The track lions is probably my favorite, but I think each song is equally powerful...
03:21 AM on 01/23/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Good review. A full length from these guys would definitely be worth hearing.
07:01 AM on 01/23/09
Romancebled
Sleep underground tonight...
User Info.
love this band and EP. one of my favorite releases of 2008. i'm glad they're getting recognition on here.
08:18 AM on 01/23/09
mallyland
Graduation: May 23rd
User Info.
Love this band. Definitely one of my favorite locals. Their new music a lot better than their old stuff.
09:47 AM on 01/23/09
Mens
User since 2002
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i am wallowing in this EP greatness
10:29 AM on 01/23/09
katieissweet
@katelyndonahue
User Info.
I love these guys so much. Great album that everyone should check out.
12:27 PM on 01/23/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i am wallowing in this EP greatness
"wallowing" is usually a word with negative connotations. Maybe you mean "basking" in its greatness?
01:06 PM on 01/23/09
outrageouslyAL
Dear Maria, Count Me Out!
User Info.
love. great ep!!!
04:16 PM on 01/23/09
jamiechaotic
envy on the toast
User Info.
Good review, good music, good dudes. Nice to see them being mentioned on here.
10:37 AM on 01/25/09
andrewIH
User Info.
We found these guys just as their album was getting finished, they seem to have come out of nowhere with this sound. One of my favorite albums of the year. We'd got to play with these guys a few times too and they're great dudes and great live. Also enjoyed the review Travis!
Andrew
IN HARBOUR
12:47 PM on 04/22/10
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
You seem to know your Minnesota locals. These dudes, weaver, red fox, all have been around the local circuit for some time under various bands/names. Glad that they're getting exposure. Awesome reviews, all of them.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests