Username
Password
Hip-Hop News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Hip-Hop
Inside AP.net

Hip-Hop Music Round-Up (01-24-09)

Posted by: Lueda Alia (01/24/09)
Head to the replies to read and discuss news, albums and more.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28.
10:39 AM on 01/24/09
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Thanks to Sean for putting this together. If you would to help out for next week's round-up, feel free to contact me.

Hip-Hip Round-Up
News

This weeks Top Rap Albums according to Billboard.com:

1. Notorious Soundtrack
2. Plies - Da REAList
3. T.I. - Paper Trail
4. Ludacris - Theater Of The Mind
5. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
6. Young Jeezy - The Recession
7. Scarface - Emeritus
8. Common - Universal Mind Control
9. Lil Wayne & DJ Drama - Gangsta Grillz: Dedication 3
10. DJ Scribble - Total Club Hits 2

16-year-old up-and-comer, Nero, has put out a new video for his song "Buck 'Em Down" off of Alive and Vibrant, which is in stores now (or you can download it off of illroots.com). His voice gives me kind of a Guru feel and is bringing the flannel game to hip hop.

R-E-U-P-G-A-N-G.

Rapper $hamrock, from a guilty pleasure of mine, The White Rapper Show (aired on VH1), is on a track with B.o.B. It isn't half bad--but then again you could put ANYONE on a song with B.o.B. and I'd dig it.

One more week!

A few weeks removed, I know, but I'm still curious as to what your favorite verse(s) were from 2008. Talk with me here about it.

J.D. @ HipHopUpdate.blogspot.com has thrown together an unofficial mixtape by Kid Cudi. There are some tracks that were on A Kid Named Cudi on this, but everything still flows great and the previously unreleased stuff is cool, too. A great opportunity for Cudi followers to catch up or for brand new listeners to hop on the bandwagon before it's the cool thing to do. Find the tape here. Tell me how awesome it is.

Wale & Dave Sitek (TV on the Radio) were recently spotted in the studio together. Thankfully, there were cameras turned on to capture what may be some real magic. The whole thing is pretty funny, but at ~4:25 you can see Sitek in the studio with Wale. Get excited.

Lil Wayne has a new mixtape, The Leak 6. The art is pretty slick--so save your time and sanity by not listening to the music and just checking out the cover.

Classified has a few new songs out there. Not really my bag, but I'm pumped for the guest appearances (Royce Da 5'9'', Shad, B.o.B.) on his album, set to drop April 7th.

For the ill-informed, we got a new President of the United States of American this week. wanted to do something to Jay-Z commemorate that.

The Knux on OkayplayerTV. From Okaytv,com:New Orleans natives The Knux combine an Outkastinfluenced style with a fresh, forward thinking aesthetic that shines through in their music and their live show. Check out the latest installment of OkayplayerTV as The Knux perform at the University of Southern California and answer a few questions about their music, influences, and style. As always, thanks to Gregthedude and Tunji for the hookup.

Lupe Fiasco announced at Australia's Big Day Out that the first disc of lupEND, entitled Everywhere (the "E" in END), will drop this June. lupeEND will be Fiasco's farewell to the rap game. A 3-disc saga marking his retirement from hip hop.

Atmosphere and Rhymesayers Entertainment have re-issued God Loves Ugly: Repackaged, remastered and uglier than ever, the critically acclaimed third official studio release from Atmosphere, God Loves Ugly, is back after being out of print for over a year. The God Loves Ugly re-issue also features a FREE bonus DVD.Do yourself a favor.

Keelay and Zaire are planning to release Ridin' High on Feburary 24th. This should hold you over.

If you've been around the forums the past few weeks (or if you read last week's round-up), I'm sure you saw me hyping Inverse. The lyrical-half, Tunji, was on Sound Session in Seattle this week and spit a few bars for us.

50 Cent gives Jim Carrey a huge shout out on his birthday at the Vitamen Water party @ Sundance this past week. Yes, all white people dance like that.

T.I. disrespects Asher Roth's entire life. Contrary to what the video might say, I just think T.I. had no idea who he was (for good reason).

New The Kickdrums mixtape featuring new/previously unreleased/remixed joints from Cudi, Joe Budden, Kanye West, Talib Kweli and more.

"Cuz there ain't no hope for dudes who deal dope!"

--------------------------------
In Stores This Week:

Exile - Radio
Platinum Pied Pipers - Abundance
DJ Signify - Of Cities
Mika 9 - 1969

---------------------------------------------------------------

Contributors: deadkidsean

Any questions, concerns, ideas, news/artists you want to see mentioned in next week’s Round-Up, interviews (either written by you or elsewhere [with source]) you want posted, or if you just want to plain talk hip hop, feel free to e-mail Sean at laughesn@email.uc.edu or send a Private Message to Will with "HIP HOP" in the subject line.

Please let us know what you think either in here or in the General Forum Hip Hop Discussion
thread. We want this to get better and better with each week and are up for any and all suggestions and criticism.

11:01 AM on 01/24/09
pasthefence49
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
all them black folk be degrading our youth and culture with those slang words
11:03 AM on 01/24/09
lenard27
Let's Go Pens! And Yanks!
User Info.
Solid, as always.
I cannot wait for the new P.O.S. album.
11:14 AM on 01/24/09
ashiex3
Oh, but the world is a mess.
User Info.
i cant wait for the new lupe and p.o.s. albums.
11:34 AM on 01/24/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Where can I get the Wayne mixtape? It's free, correct?
11:39 AM on 01/24/09
eman83
HEAT season over.
User Info.
Mhmm, it is. Click "The Leak 6".

It was removed by mediafire.
11:44 AM on 01/24/09
eman83
HEAT season over.
User Info.
11:45 AM on 01/24/09
Klatzke
User Info.
11:52 AM on 01/24/09
invincibleXL
sick hearts
User Info.
New Slaughterhouse track

http://www.zshare.net/audio/545043051acbb33f/

The group consists of Joe Budden, Royce da 5'9, Crooked I, and Joell Ortiz. The songs they've released so far have been insaaane. Pure lyrical shit
12:06 PM on 01/24/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Wayne's studio albums are infinitely better than his mixtapes.
12:33 PM on 01/24/09
gladnads
iGnoble Apathian
User Info.
Wait, sounds like Lupe is releasing 3 separate discs and calling it one?
01:46 PM on 01/24/09
dru
i know i got my issues...
User Info.
excited for Lupe
01:53 PM on 01/24/09
space&time
taste the sound you make
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hey, we're looking for a review for our debut, "Stranger Sounds." Anyone up for that?
01:58 PM on 01/24/09
Klatzke
User Info.
hey, we're looking for a review for our debut, "Stranger Sounds." Anyone up for that?
I'd probably be up for it as well depending on what you guys sound like.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS