05:07 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
Eric Burt
AbusolutePunk.net Member
Ottawa, Ontario,...
Male - 20 Years Old
Teen Depression and Suicide
Don't let them slip away...

I've wanted to bring this topic up for a long time but I have never had. So, here it is. I'd like to dicuss Teen Depression and Suicide. I've noticed alot of suicides and alot of people being depressed and alot of people and parents miss it because they just think there teens going through a phase or its just a sign of weakness. I understand its entirely normal to feel "blue" occasionally, or to feel down for a while after something bad happens. For teenagers (or anyone for that matter) with major depression however feelings of sadness and hopelessness may last for weeks or months and can eventually dominate their teenage lives. They lose interest in activities they used to enjoy, and relationships with family and friends can begin to suffer. Depression can also lead to poor school attendance and performance, running away, and feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness and it doesn't go away very fast.... still others contemplate suicide. Depression is NOT a sign of weakness.. It is a real medical illness.

And the vast majority of teens with depression can be helped with treatment, which typically includes counseling and/or medication. But the sad and unfortunately, most teens with mental health problems do not get the help they need and when depression isn't treated, it can get worse,
last longer and prevent teens from getting the most out of life. How common is depression among teenagers? Major depression strikes about 1 in 12 adolescents. In any given 6-month period, about 5 percent of 9- tp 17-year-olds are estimated to be suffering from major depression. All to often, depression is left untreated because people fail to recognize the symptoms and believe that it is just normal sadness, a phase that a teen is going through, or a sign of weakness, this can be a terrible mistake

It is important to know the symptoms:
  • Sad or irritable mood
  • Loss of intrest in activities that were once enjoyable
  • Large changes in appetite or weight
  • Loss of energy
  • Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Frequent thoughts of death or suicide

Suicide can be a deadly outcome of depression. Teens who are depressed are much more likely than other teens to attempt suicide. Among teens who develop major depression, as many as 7 percent (or 1 in 14) will commit suicide as young adults. If a teenager thinks or talks about suicide, it is important to take the threat seriously and seek professional help.

The reason I made this Thread/Topic is because i've had some close friends that have commited suicide and I have major depression but I take pills for it, and I have tryed to kill myself once, at a time in my life which I thought my life was over. Please, no rude remarks this is a serious topic and its not something to laugh about because in the United States every 18 minutes some in the U.S. dies by suicide and every 19 minutes someone is left to make sense of it. Please feel free to dicuss if you have major depression or know someone who has it.

National Suicide Hotline
1-800-784-2433

[All information above was put together articles from all over the internet(Youtube, Google, Etc) by Eric Burt(AbsolutePunk.net memeber]
05:09 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
No care.
05:12 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
viva la cymche!
No Avatar Selected
Phoenix, AZ
Male - 20 Years Old
threadfail
05:14 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
darkpelican
No Avatar Selected
Arlington,VA
Male
Honestly, its a good cause but this isn't the place. If anything this should be in the personal life forums.
05:16 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
Honestly, its a good cause but this isn't the place. If anything this should be in the personal life forums.

Are you trying to imply people in personal life are more likely to commit suicide? Unkind.
05:17 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
kshtoinks12
Au Revoir Shoshana!
Amurica
Male - 24 Years Old
If you're sad maybe you should kill yourself. Who are you to say what people should and should not do?
05:18 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
kshtoinks12
Au Revoir Shoshana!
Amurica
Male - 24 Years Old
And I don't know what you're talking about. Depression is, in my opinion a sign of weakness.
05:18 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
viva la cymche!
No Avatar Selected
Phoenix, AZ
Male - 20 Years Old
If anything, it shouldn't be on this website.
05:19 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
swirlofhues
._.
No Avatar Selected
" Suicide can be a deadly outcome of depression."
05:21 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
Unless you were physically abused, I doubt you are depressed.
05:22 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
darkpelican
No Avatar Selected
Arlington,VA
Male
If anything, it shouldn't be on this website.

Yeah, This isent the place. This stuf doesn't really belong here. While I admire what hes trying to get through here and the message, this isn't going to end well. Asking for no rude responses will only open this thread up for more.
05:23 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
timbedinosaur
Stay lucky
Fayetteville, GA
Male
I wouldn't post that here. You underestimate how twisted and fucked up people are. They will make jokes and laugh at unfunny things like this. Not a good place to post it.
05:24 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
llwilliamsll
FUCK...EDDIE VEDDAR???
Chicago, IL
Male
  • Loss of intrest in activities that were once enjoyable
  • Large changes in appetite or weight
  • Loss of energy
  • Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Frequent thoughts of death or suicide
sounds more like symptoms involving someone making a realization that they are obese.
05:25 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
Smash Adams
Ain't no thing like me, except me
Long Island
Male - 26 Years Old
My life! Oh, my life!

Michael, what's wrong?

Everything's wrong! The stress of my modern office has caused me to go into a depression.

Depression? Isn't that just a fancy word for feeling "bummed-out"?

Dwight, you ignorant slut! Depression is a very serious illness. Over 32,000 people commit suicide every year, according to a 2004 study.
05:28 PM on 01/24/09 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
My life! Oh, my life!

Michael, what's wrong?

Everything's wrong! The stress of my modern office has caused me to go into a depression.

Depression? Isn't that just a fancy word for feeling "bummed-out"?

Dwight, you ignorant slut! Depression is a very serious illness. Over 32,000 people commit suicide every year, according to a 2004 study.

I watched that episode last night.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version