Password

Album Review
Two Tongues - Two Tongues Album Cover

Two Tongues - Two Tongues

Reviewed by
Two TonguesTwo Tongues
Release Date: February 3, 2009
Label: Vagrant
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When news of Chris Conley and Max Bemis collaborating to create Two Tongues hit the interwebs, my little heart was all a flutter. You see, Saves The Day is my all time favorite band. And Say Anything released my favorite album in 2007. Plus I love collaborations, such as The Flintstones and Jetsons crossover movie, and Jay-Z and Linkin Park bringing rap and rock together like never before (Collision Course holla!)! So, had the stars align to bring me one of my favorite albums of 2009?

Nope.

The self-titled debut of the super group starts out great, overwhelming you with emotional chargers such as “Crawl” and “If I Could Make You Do Things.” But, then tracks like the Weezer-esque “Don’t You Want To Come Home” and “Alice” (which sounds like a Sound The Alarm b-side) completely underwhelm you. (Seriously guys, I just want to be whelmed!)

There are definitely some highlights though. “Wowee Zowee” will definitely be a song you want to crank on your stereo. And “Come On” may be the breakout song on the album, really showing off the potential of Two Tongues. Full of energy and on-point call and return vocals between Bemis and Conley, this song is a keeper. “Dead Lizard,” with its menacing guitar tones, is vibrant and features a huge bridge with Bemis’ vocals bursting form the seams.

Even with a handful of good tracks though, there is still a fair amount of clunkers. “Back Against The Wall” is the ugly duckling of the album, and no, it does not turn into a beautiful swan. Cheesy synths and awkward “ahh’s” from Conley makes this track one giant bucket of fail. And the album closer, “Even If You Don’t” is an absolute snoozer, ending Two Tongues on an unremarkable note.

But the most stunning thing about the album is the mediocre lyrics. Conley and Bemis have wrote memorable lyrics for their respective bands that have hit me hard, but nothing on Two Tongues seem to stick. Vocally, the chemistry between Conley and Bemis is remarkable; Bemis’ rough bark is the perfect counterbalance to Conley’s high-pitched wails (even though his vocals are incredibly whiny, even for me).

In hindsight, a Two Tongues EP would have probably been a better idea, as it would have left a better lasting impression on the listener. Instead, we have a full-length that shines at times, but is brought down by the amount of filler on it. Basically, if you dig Saves The Day and/or Say Anything, you will more than likely enjoy this, as it is what you probably would imagine: a hybrid of the two bands. Ideally, I wanted Two Tongues to be an album I could listen to throughout the year. Rather, it becomes an album that will be occasionally played while I wait for new Say Anything and Saves The Day albums instead.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Crawl
2. If I Could Make You Do Things
3. Dead Lizard
4. Interlude
5. Tremors
6. Silly Game
7. Don’t You Want To Come Home
8. Wowee Zowee
9. Come On
10. Alice
11. Try Not To Save Me
12. Back Against The Wall
13. Even If You Don’t

Two Tongues is:
Chris Conley – vocals/guitar
Max Bemis – vocals/guitar
Dave Soloway – bass
Coby Linder – drums

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 199
10:54 PM on 01/26/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Good whelming review. This album is going to be on a lot of most-disappointing lists at the end of the year.
10:54 PM on 01/26/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Good review. From what hockeyguitar99 wrote, I could've sworn I was in for a Top 5 of 09 contender. Ah, well.
10:55 PM on 01/26/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a lot of songs as my review stated. I was just expecting more.
11:18 PM on 01/26/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
"Crawl" and "Dead Lizard" are great -- but I agree with you completely. Like I've said before, it gets worse and worse upon each listen for me, which sucks, because I enjoy both vocalists. Chris' voice gets irritating halfway through, to be honest.

Underwhelming for sure, but maybe this means we can all love their respective original bands' next album even more.
11:24 PM on 01/26/09
wuduprod
I make shitty threads awesome.
User Info.
i agree with this review 100%. not a bad album, but not that great either.
02:05 AM on 01/27/09
kinkywizard90
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i really couldn't agree more.

i'd be interested to hear your thoughts on "interlude" which i thought was actually a stand-out track in terms of lyrics AND melody, but should've been performed by bemis instead of dupree.
02:43 AM on 01/27/09
Domenic182
probably been here longer than you
User Info.
They shoulda just done covers of each others songs and made an album out of it.
02:50 AM on 01/27/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
They shoulda just done covers of each others songs and made an album out of it.
I might be an army of one, but I'm not sure I'd love that.
02:58 AM on 01/27/09
blinkme
Sinatra blue
User Info.
i haven't heard the album yet, is it worth purchasing?
03:04 AM on 01/27/09
AsItFallsApart
Erect in defiance of god's will
User Info.
i'm kinda bummed its getting ragged on so much, i'll agree it has some filler but i thought it was a pretty decent spin that just slips up the final few songs but the ones that shine are pretty damned good. i will agree on the weak lyrics though, as both singers independantly have written some great things in the past.
03:30 AM on 01/27/09
TheHeretic
User Info.
You know what? I agree with pretty much everything you said, Drew, but still found myself thoroughly enjoying this album and I'm actually not even that disappointed. Maybe my expectations weren't as high...
03:39 AM on 01/27/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I liked the first few tracks, when I give it more of a listen I'll be able to comment more on it. Great review though.
03:45 AM on 01/27/09
thehereaway
snickers at the swine flu
User Info.
Good review, i completely agree. BIG disappointment, the only songs that do anything for me on this album were the 3 they put up on their Myspace page (Crawl, Wowee Zowee, If I Could Make You Do Things) and Silly Game.
03:55 AM on 01/27/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Good review Drew. It's spot on but you will probably get swarmed by the trolls when they wake. Oh well.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos