AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Friday Night Boys - That's What She... Album Cover

The Friday Night Boys - That's What She...

Reviewed by
Friday Night Boys, The - That's What She Said EP
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen Records/Photo Finish Records/The Party Scene
Release Date: October 14, 2008

Sometimes it’s difficult to know what to make of some bands (namely those that lean towards the “pop” side.) Are they just another band hoping to cash in on the year’s current trend/what most 15 year old girls are listening to at the moment, or are they actually a talented band forever doomed to be compared with those aforementioned bands? The Friday Night Boys appear to be another band stuck in this predicament.

Hailing from Fairfax, Virginia, The Friday Night Boys are the newest addition to the Fueled by Ramen/Photo Finish/The Party Scene family (whew!). Plucked right out of the Virginia scene by All Time Low vocalist/guitarist Alex Gaskarth, the band has released their first EP as a signed band: That’s What She Said. Based on the information given, it sounds exactly as one might expect: typical FBR-style pop rock destined for success. With that said, That’s What She Said isn’t half bad. “Chasing a Rockstar” and the title track are by far the best to be found on That’s What She Said. The rest of the EP is pretty enjoyable…well, except for pop-punk/boy band-esque “Thursday Night Pregame.” Right from the get go, this song is a bit of an aggravating listen with the “Woah woah oh oh” group vocals.

As a whole, the band is pretty solid. They all play fairly well and sound great together. Unfortunately, Andrew Goldstein’s vocals tend to get irritating. It’s not that his vocals are poor at all, he’s certainly a strong vocalist. The problem is that he sings in that strained pop-rock style voice similar to John O’Callaghan of The Maine. When the songs are high energy though, it virtually disappears. As expected, the lyrics aren’t something to write home about. It’s more or less what you would expect to find on the linear notes of many similar sounding bands.

That’s What She Said is a pretty decent release but most people will take this release and this band one of two ways. They’ll either find this band so cliché and generic, yet enjoyable, or so cliché and generic that it’s intolerable. For now it’s the former, at least for myself.

Recommended if You LikeAll Time Low; We The Kings; The Cab

www.myspace.com/thefridaynightboys
This review is a user submitted review from more heart. You can see all of more heart's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
11:30 PM on 02/17/09
NorthstarPark
Jiggin'
User Info.
This band sounds like they were made for tween girls watching abc family and the cw.
11:46 PM on 02/17/09
birtcho
is...
User Info.
he needs to do somethign with his vocals. sounds way to fake and the same in every song
02:59 AM on 02/18/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well written review, but I feel this band is overrated.
08:24 AM on 02/18/09
aprilrainx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They are "catchy" if you like that stuff. Not that big of a fan, and I was disappointed the times I have seen them live.
08:43 AM on 02/18/09
dearmsleading
A City Heart instrumentalist
User Info.
I saw them live once too, and I was not impressed. They DID go on after Cash Cash though, and they sounded kinda thin in comparison. I may also have been turned off by the throngs of fangirls screaming, too. Meh.
12:17 PM on 02/18/09
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
he needs to do somethign with his vocals. sounds way to fake and the same in every song
That's my major problem with this band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version