AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cash Cash - Take it to the Floor Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.25
Musicianship 4.5
Lyrics 4.25
Production 5.33
Creativity 4.42
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.42
Average: 47%
Inside AP.net

Cash Cash - Take it to the Floor

Reviewed by: emoneil (02/08/09)
Cash CashTake it to the Floor
Universal Republic
Release Date: December 23, 2008 (digital), January 20, 2009 (physical)

I remember when I was in eighth grade, a teacher once told my class about how trends worked in cycles. This was at a time when everyone wore baggy pants with chains hooked to their wallets, and he demonstrated his point by showing a picture of someone from the twenties wearing something similar to what everyone was wearing in my school. And this seems to be true of trends in music, like Cash Cash's full-length debut off Universal Republic, Take it to the Floor.

The album, while recycling the four songs from their self-titled EP released last October, has eight new songs full of sugary hooks, sing-along choruses, and sexual-innuendo galore thanks to frontman Jean-Paul Makhlouf. Along with poppy instrumentation, following the less-is-more ideal, via Makhlouf, his brother Alex on keyboards, Sam Frisch on bass, and drummer Anthony Villacari. The understandably noticeable parts come from Alex Makhlouf's synth hits in songs like “Your Love” and “Sugar Rush.” The parts stand out enough to pull your attention away from his brother's singing, but not so much as to make you ignore them.

Songs with the most single potential are “Party in Your Bedroom,” which is no surprise seeing as it was also a huge song off of their EP, and “Your Love.” These songs utilize what a lot of radio friendly bands are using today. Giving a nod to bands like Panic at the Disco, back when they still used the exclamation point in their name and didn't invade their parents' Beatles collections, and the Arrival. Cash Cash use plenty of digital instruments and vocal hooks that you'll find yourself singing hours after you've finished listening to the record.

This band is a classic case of the recycled trends discussion. For those old enough to remember, this band brings to mind groups like Aha, Corey Hart (via “I Wear My Sunglasses at Night”), and Germany's Kraftwerk if they had more of a pop sensibility. And while a lot of contemporary rock and pop artists are doing similar work, certainly none are making songs as memorable and epic as these tunes.

The negative aspects of this record, while they are few and basically a matter of taste. The things I found discouraging about their EP remain the same on the full-length: there just seems to be too many artificial instruments played on the record. Or, maybe, it's just too much of it sounds like it's played through a synth or a computer. On the flip side of the argument, the one song on the record that sounds like they're all playing their own instruments, “Concerta,” just doesn't fit. Where every song gives a retro, eighties vibe, this song sounds more like a song written by Jesse Lacey and Martin Johnson. It's a catchy, attention-grabbing, emo-influenced tune, however it just doesn't sound like it belongs on the record because of how it lacks a digital influence.

Regardless of the tiny problems, this is an outstanding debut LP from a young, talented group of Garden Staters. For those who are looking for a new band that writes big hits, or for those nostalgic for the days when it was cool to wear your sunglasses at night, this band will deliver, without disappointment, exactly what you're looking for.

Recommended if you LikeWhite Tie Affair; Aha; early Panic! at the Disco; the Arrival

www.myspace.com/cashcash

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
06:11 PM on 02/17/09
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
Way too high. Party In Your Bedroom is great but the rest of the songs are so boring.
11:11 PM on 02/17/09
MasturBeatty
Can't say I blame you, but I do.
User Info.
Well put review with a very fair score.

/random
on their track 'interlude'
any idea what song is playing at about the 0:18 mark?
11:48 PM on 02/17/09
birtcho
is...
User Info.
it is enjoyable
12:00 AM on 02/18/09
Nick_K99
User Info.
Pretty good review and the score seems reasonable. I listened to these guys the other day and i couldn't stand them. They seemed to generic, cookie cutter for my liking.
12:02 AM on 02/18/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
I agree with what you say. Generic, yes, but catchy as crap.
01:47 AM on 02/18/09
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
if it's really like early PATD, i'd give it a listen ...
03:02 AM on 02/18/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if it's really like early PATD, i'd give it a listen ...
No its not.

Very good review. The ratings are spot on; despite your reviewer tilt, you have remained unbiased.

They really don't sound like early Panic, but its a matter of opinion. You can think that, if it makes you happy.
08:40 AM on 02/18/09
dearmsleading
A City Heart instrumentalist
User Info.
i like this record a lot. but i'm biased. i think the coolest part of this record is the fact that Radio was done entirely by the band without the help of any producers, yet it still manages to sound just as incredibly produced as everything else on the record. those guys know what's up when it comes to making shiny, shiny music.
I agree about Concerta, though. It's still one of my favorite tracks on the album, but it was sort of a leftover track from their The Consequence days, so I'm not surprised that it sounds more like TC than $$.
01:34 PM on 02/18/09
sargentlgfuad
water me
User Info.
where's the comparison to metro station?
07:16 AM on 03/28/09
kaduck2007
User Info.
where's the comparison to metro station?
They sound nothing like Metro Station in my opinion. Plus, these guys have been around way longer. I bought their By The Bedside ep when they were still called The Consequence. In my opinion, these guys aren't following a trend. They have been a part of the genre for three years, before it had become the popular and overdone sound of today.
11:36 AM on 03/28/09
sargentlgfuad
water me
User Info.
They sound nothing like Metro Station in my opinion. Plus, these guys have been around way longer. I bought their By The Bedside ep when they were still called The Consequence. In my opinion, these guys aren't following a trend. They have been a part of the genre for three years, before it had become the popular and overdone sound of today.
either way they suck.
06:07 PM on 03/22/10
the seventeenth
when I think I am, I'm not
User Info.
the three tracks I love from these guys are my guiltiest pleasures to date.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests