AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hey Monday - Hold on Tight Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6.25
Production 7
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 61%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.13
Musicianship 5.13
Lyrics 5.13
Production 5.13
Creativity 5.13
Lasting Value 5.13
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 51%
Inside AP.net

Hey Monday - Hold on Tight

Reviewed by: mastershake (02/09/09)
Hey Monday - Hold on Tight
Record Label: Decaydance
Release date: October 2008

Hey Monday face two unfortunate obstacles with their debut LP. First, they are a pop punk band with a female lead singer. This means comparisons to Paramore are natural. Now Paramore aren’t considered the most groundbreaking band out there so when the term “Paramore rip off” is heard, most people will write it off without hearing it. The second obstacle is that they are also on the same label as Paramore, which invites more of the same really. This means most conversations go like this

“I’m listening to this band, Hey Monday”

“Oh yeah I heard of those guys, lead singer is a chick right? I already listen to Paramore”

Or like this

“Hey, new Paramore song?”

“No it’s this band called Hey Monday. They’re on the same label though”

“Ah they’re cashing in on Paramore’s success! Is she as hot as Hayley though?”

And so on...

All a bit unfair really, we never criticize All Time Low or Hit the Lights as just cashing in on Blink 182's success. But chuck a female lead singer in the mix and apparently you are enjoying the great taste of Paramore-Lite. What’s even more unfair is that Hey Monday is a fairly decent band, and Hold on Tight offers up an agreeable mix of pop punk tunes.

Compared to Paramore (The P word stops here I swear), Hey Monday offer a significantly poppier take on the formula. The first 3 tracks are great sing-along songs, with their catchy hooks anchored by singer Cassadee Pope’s voice. None of them raise the bar musically, but they are fun and energetic, which helps a pop punk band's chances. The lead single “Homecoming” has a chance to be huge if it gets some decent airplay, as it does a lot right in terms of being a radio friendly hit. The riff is simple yet vibrant, and the chorus is entertaining enough.

It is after this though that the words “decent enough” start to crop up more. While Hey Monday don’t look to reinvent the wheel, the tracks tend to bleed together the more you listen to the record, and songs become indistinguishable. In fact, after 6 to 7 listens of the album, the only songs that really stick in my memory are “Set off” and “Homecoming”. The ballads seem stuck in there for the sake of it, a common mistake with up and coming pop punkers. If you’re going to do something different, make it different, otherwise we can just wait for an acoustic EP or something. They offer nothing apart from showing that they know how to slow down the record. That’s not to say that Hey Monday are bad, because they are not by any means. It's just that many of the tracks are only standard pop punk skewing towards the pop side. For a band on their first album, however, it does leave me intrigued to see if they will progress at all. They seem to have the potential to create good pop songs, so I suppose it is a game of wait and see from here.

Hold on Tight is a collection of decent, if forgettable songs. The elements are in place. The hooks, the vocals, the instrumentation, they just need a little work and they can shine. Still, when it comes down to it, I’d rather be coming home with Hey Monday than shaking it to Metro Station.

Recommended If You LikePoppy pop punk; Paramore (It doesn't count as one more mention if it's in the RIYL section!); Avril Lavigne with maybe a dash more indie cred, maybe; We the Kings

www.myspace.com/heymonday

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
11:11 PM on 02/17/09
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
Like the last line.
11:49 PM on 02/17/09
birtcho
is...
User Info.
i actually really enjoyed this. especially josie and run dont walk
12:07 AM on 02/18/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
For how decent you say they are, a 1.5 in reviewer tilt is kind of dumbfounding.
And I agree with most of the review, but not about how the songs blend together. If you can't tell the difference between, let's say, Homecoming, How You Love Me Now, Josey, Hurricane Streets and Arizona, especially after 6 or 7 listens, something is wrong.
12:26 AM on 02/18/09
mastershake
User Info.
For how decent you say they are, a 1.5 in reviewer tilt is kind of dumbfounding.
And I agree with most of the review, but not about how the songs blend together. If you can't tell the difference between, let's say, Homecoming, How You Love Me Now, Josey, Hurricane Streets and Arizona, especially after 6 or 7 listens, something is wrong.

Oops that was meant to be a 5.5! Thanks for letting me know it's fixed now.
Oh and I can tell the songs apart, I just kind of forget about them as soon as I finish listening to them
01:46 AM on 02/18/09
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
say them live .. enjoyed it fully! wish to see them again .. sad that i didnt get a chance to take a picture with cassadee .. some of my friends did though .. urgh!
02:13 AM on 02/18/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Album is catchy as hell, though "How You Love Me Now" is the only song I really like. I agree with this review.
03:05 AM on 02/18/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nothing ground breaking, special or intelectual here, just a half decent, well produced pop band, with a hot chick as lead singer.
06:20 AM on 02/18/09
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
Please stop using the word "punk" to define what genre this band is in. There is nothing punk about this. They're about as punk as Katy Perry is (which is 0.00%).

Hey Monday is a (shitty) POP BAND.
07:24 AM on 02/18/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Please stop using the word "punk" to define what genre this band is in. There is nothing punk about this. They're about as punk as Katy Perry is (which is 0.00%).

I don't think it's fair to say shitty but yes it is pop music, The punk cred isn't really there.
08:04 AM on 02/18/09
avenge the dead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is an alright pop record. It's enjoyable enough. And I will definitely check out their next cd.
08:07 AM on 02/18/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Other than Homecoming, I can't really stomach anything here. Agree with the Metro Station quip, though. Great review.
08:08 AM on 02/18/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.

Well, Katy Perry is reportedly going out with Benji Madden. If that's not a textbook example of true punk rock, I don't know what the fuck is.
08:29 AM on 02/18/09
aprilrainx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It is a catchy album. Definitely not the kind of stuff I usually listen to, but it's a great album to listen to when you're exercising. The songs are fun and catchy. It's a decent album, nothing special, but definitely catchy :)
05:06 AM on 02/19/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Well, Katy Perry is reportedly going out with Benji Madden. If that's not a textbook example of true punk rock, I don't know what the fuck is.
Well played.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News