Password

Album Review
Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You Album Cover

Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You

Reviewed by
Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
Record Label: Capitol Records
Release Date: February 10th, 2009.
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
In today’s pop music scene there is so much glitz and glamour that it can become sickening if you are exposed to it long enough. “Artists” like Britney Spears and Lady Gaga dominate the female spectrum of the genre with their electro garbage trash pop. While people like Lily Allen take the back seat to these jokes. Hopefully this trend will end with the release of It’s Not Me, It’s You.

Lily took the music world by storm in 2006 when she released Alright, Still. Her upbeat pop songs with witty lyrics and a refreshing voice gave lots of people someone to watch in the limelight. Although this time around she wanted to change things up from what she had done in the past. As much as I hate to use the term “maturing”, this album is perfect for it. What so many people admired about Lily was her way to speak whatever rude and crude comments came to mind and make it likable by anyone. But after probably the toughest time in her life she has created some of the best pop music of the past couple years.

Everything that you would expect is here lyrically. “Everyone’s At It” starts the album off the right way with drug references that are nothing out of the ordinary. “The Fear” follows could possibly be the strongest single Lily has released yet. For a different pace of things “Not Fair” mixes up the album with some twangy country guitar that takes the album down a new road. “22” draws you back into the fun and poppy side of Lily but still takes a shot at the Hollywood girls that continue to abuse their fame and fortune to new degrees. If you thought the outspoken blunt lyrics were gone “Fuck You” serves as reminder that everything is still there as well as a major goodbye to the ex-commander in chief. She show’s no fear whatsoever to write about anything as she closes the album with “Him” and “He Wasn’t There.” Covering why God could be upset about the human race and her father and his involvement in her life. The best part about It’s Not Me, It’s You is that the songs are more relatable but become even more enjoyable with every listen. If you were a fan of the ska aspect of Alright, Still you will be upset to find out that it’s not there on this album. Instead it’s been replaced by top of the line electronic beats and a wider range of musical styles. Lily has shown that she isn’t afraid to dabble into anything, whether it be her writing about some of the most debatable things of this era or trying out a different sound. I only see bigger and better things coming from It’s Not Me, It’s You.

It’s not everyday that a character like Lily Allen comes along. So while you may not care for her music she demands respect from the public with her strong will and determination. Snotty British girl or not, Lily Allen has constructed an album that has the credentials to stay around for a long time in the pop game. If that isn’t enough for you then I’m not sure what is.

www.myspace.com/lilymusic

RIYL: Kate Nash, Duffy, Great Pop Tunes.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
09:09 PM on 02/18/09
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
I actually really enjoy this album.
09:33 PM on 02/18/09
jonnointherough
Elation
User Info.
Hey, no dissing on the gaga. Otherwise, good review. I wasn't a huge fan of her last but this one certainly appealed to me.
03:22 AM on 02/19/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey, no dissing on the gaga. Otherwise, good review. I wasn't a huge fan of her last but this one certainly appealed to me.

gtfo.

I really like this album. Moreso than the last, which I found difficult to get into as a whole.

This is much cleaner, much more personal to Lily.

Good sophomore record
02:36 PM on 02/19/09
Mochem
User Info.
I loved her last one, and I have a feeling I'm going to really dislike her new album. I liked how her first album had a lot of different instruments and styles to it, like ska influenced songs and little piano ditties. From what I've read/heard this album doesn't have any of that kind of stuff.
08:41 PM on 02/19/09
Loyaltabk
. . .Sure, let's go with that.
User Info.
(SAYS WHILE TRYING TO SOUND BRITISH AND COOL)

pretty good album eh mate??
09:03 PM on 02/19/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I loved her last one, and I have a feeling I'm going to really dislike her new album. I liked how her first album had a lot of different instruments and styles to it, like ska influenced songs and little piano ditties. From what I've read/heard this album doesn't have any of that kind of stuff.

That's what I thought originally but this album blows the last out of the water.
08:51 PM on 02/21/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
I actually really like this record. I would rate it somewhere in the 80's. Great sophomore album.
05:41 PM on 02/25/09
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dude give it a few listens cause its a grower. I hated it at first since it was so different than Alright, Still but after I gave in a fews spins I love. While I don't like it as much as Alright Still its just as good.
06:05 PM on 02/25/09
Mochem
User Info.
Dude give it a few listens cause its a grower. I hated it at first since it was so different than Alright, Still but after I gave in a fews spins I love. While I don't like it as much as Alright Still its just as good.
Yeah, I definitely plan on giving it a few listens. I just don't expect to like it as much, seeing how what really drew me to her music in the first place seems to be gone. I liked all of the acoustic versions from those Absolute Radio videos, so I do think I'll enjoy some of the new stuff. At least lyric/melody wise.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos