Album Review
Divided By Friday - Too Legit Album Cover

Divided By Friday - Too Legit

Reviewed by
Divided By Friday - Too Legit
Release Date: February 3, 2009
Record Label: Unsigned
Who?

An extremely talented and well put together pop band that just released their latest EP, Too Legit and are gaining quite a bit of buzz.

How is it?

As far as this genre goes, this is the epitome of it done correctly. From the almost ballad-esque "Beneath the Moon" to the super upbeat "Phase II: Operation Fiscal" they stomp around on their peers. The only real qualm with any of it at all is the lead vocalist's voice, which is perched precariously between endearing and annoying. However, he holds on 90% of the time, and there are quite a few places where he switches it up and throws in a great falsetto.

The instrumentation shines for this genre, and they throw in everything from Anberlin-esque riffs ("Phase II: Operation Fiscal") to the build-ups and climaxes ("Beneath the Moon") that the keep the songs driving and interesting. If you've noticed, those two songs tend to keep cropping up, and it's much the same on a listen; those are the two main standout tracks from the five songs on Too Legit. The other three tracks are fine, but these two find a way to make an impression.

As with most pop bands, the overall lyrical themes tend to gravitate towards the more practical opposed to the metaphorical or philosophical. However, unlike their contemporaries, their lyrics are actually extremely relevant and stand out quite a bit from their peers. For example, my favorites from the album (which have quite a bit to do with my own life at the moment) are from "Beneath the Moon" and they are: "And I'll admit that I'm a liar, but it isn't without reason. Fall is my favorite season, but this year it's not the same because it brings us so much closer to our inevitable goodbye. I won't leave, you won't cry, hence another lie."

Overall, Too Legit is quite an achievement for this up-and-coming band. They've got quite the local fanbase it seems, and their pleas are actually what got me to check out and request this EP. If they keep growing, and keep releasing things of this caliber, they've got a chance to get their name out there.

Recommended If You LikeArtist Vs Poet; Honor Bright

Myspacehttp://www.myspace.com/dividedbyfriday
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
12:19 PM on 02/18/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
I just heard about these guys only a few days ago. Sounds really good from the few songs I've heard.
09:54 PM on 02/18/09
youenvydoug
#justiceforbrandon
User Info.
This band is so good.
So much potential.
11:47 PM on 02/18/09
HometownHero
User Info.
This EP is weak compared to their first one
04:57 AM on 02/19/09
yclover31608
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
me and my friend both love them and i have to disagree the vocals are amazing you should definely buy both of there eps which are on itunes
10:35 AM on 02/19/09
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
This band rules. I love these dudes; they are awesome and deserve all the success in the world. Not digging this EP as much as the old one, though.
03:36 PM on 02/19/09
ooosnapitsmel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
they are amazing i saw them in concert and they totally rock, my favorite song is girl you got it going on
12:43 AM on 02/23/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
The vocals remind me a bit of Relient K.
Either way, just checked these out and I found them to be an enjoyable listen.
08:13 PM on 03/03/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
The vocals remind me a bit of Relient K.
Either way, just checked these out and I found them to be an enjoyable listen.
you're correct, I meant to put that in the RIYL section and forgot
09:50 AM on 07/12/09
Jose Villanueva
Jose Villanueva
User Info.
Thanks so much for the support, everyone.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos