Password

Album Review

Two Tongues - Two Tongues Album Cover

Two Tongues - Two Tongues

Reviewed by
Two Tongues - Two Tongues
Record Label: Vagrant Records
Release Date: February 3, 2009
Saves the Day's Chris Conley met Max Bemis of Say Anything at a CMJ show in 2004. Five years later, after a late New York Night, "two kindred spirits" released a power-packed 13 track self-titled album: Two Tongues. Chris and Max's relationship started far before their first meeting; Max was able to find Saves the Day records while he was still in high school and Chris quickly became Max's favorite songwriter. Their similar sort of "musical sensibility" drew them together and actually evolved into what some may now call the greatest side project of the decade.

"Originally," Chris said, "Max and Coby came up to my studio to record a Bob Dylan cover song, 'The Man and Me,' and we shared verses and we harmonized on the verses, and it just sounded really really cool. So we were always like 'We should do a side project.' Max was really really into that idea, and he really kept thinking about it. When we finally went on tour together in 2007, he was like, 'I've already written the first part of the first song ["Crawl"] for our side project,' and I was like, 'Woah, really? We're really gonna do this? This is awesome!' So we sat down and just started vibing off these parts... and immediately we had this awesome dialogue back and forth. It really happened organically. It was fun to play together, we were excited about it, and it was easy to play together."

It is only appropriate that Two Tongues begins with "Crawl." It explodes with duo's dynamic harmonization, alluding to the outspoken blast that is Max Bemis, juxtaposed to Chris Conley's Billy Corgan-esque, higher tones. The second song, "If I Could Make You Do Things," is another clean example of their ability to combine the two unique styles into one using a slick guitar and overdramatic hi-hat. "Tremors," "Wowee Zowee," and "Come On" are some more highlights from the record, and Say Anything fans should make sure to listen to "Silly Games" for a healthy dose of Max Bemis' vocal power. The final track covers Ween's "Even if You Don't," a favorite of Chris Conley, adding a touch of diversity to the record (as if the disco-like track "Back Against the Wall" didn't already).

Not many side projects do well these days. But how many involve such authentic and diverse sounds? Just call them the 21st Century's Temple of the Dog.

RIYLSay Anything; Saves the Day; Smashing Pumpkins meets Spill Canvas; disco

myspace.com/twotonguesrock

*All quotes taken from an exclusive interview between Titus Smith and Chris Conley on January 28, 2009.
This review is a user submitted review from masterchiefx12. You can see all of masterchiefx12's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
09:53 AM on 02/18/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
This is a pretty disappointing effort, imo. At least you enjoyed it.
10:13 AM on 02/18/09
zombie!pirate!
User Info.
... Did your keyboard stop typing?? You almost had something (took to long to get going to be honest, and nearly NO review of the cd itself, more of a background story), but keep working, you'll get it
02:22 PM on 02/18/09
thorattack
The Assembly Line
User Info.
This album was a complete ..... eh.. disappointment..
03:32 PM on 02/18/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
The score is ridiculously high and you barely even talk about the album. It's well written, but not really a review.
03:20 AM on 02/19/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a pretty disappointing effort, imo. At least you enjoyed it.
I agree, the ratings are too high, for a CD with 4/5 good songs.
06:44 AM on 02/19/09
tenacious p
music.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I also agree. Putting "crawl" on their myspace was a good idea. It built up some hype. But overall, I'd rather just listen to Saves the Day.
07:43 AM on 02/19/09
c_rob2700
User Info.
Not even close to 89%, IMO. And this is coming from a big SA/STD fan
09:57 AM on 02/19/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I agree, the ratings are too high, for a CD with 4/5 good songs.
Crawl, If I could make you do things, Tremors, Try Not to Save Me, Interlude, Wowee Zowee, Silly Game, Don't You want to come home. I feel like there's a lot of good tracks maybe 4/5 excellent ones but there's nothing completely awful on the album.
10:49 AM on 02/19/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
89% is way too high, I enjoyed it, but maybe more of a 70-75%, if that. You alos didn't talk about the album too much.
04:23 PM on 02/20/09
snapgrl007
User Info.
There are some really awesome songs on the CD but i think overall the album was a bit of a letdown
10:10 PM on 02/21/09
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I like their Myspace songs but am still yet to check this release out.

Honestly, this had such huge expectation placed upon it that it was always going to be a little difficult having to live up to it all. When I finally get around to listening to this album, I think I'm going to really enjoy and appreciate it, maybe more so than a lot of others, because I wasn't one to have placed such huge expectation on this album. I can't be let-down because I didn't build it up to be anything.

I thought it was a good review, I would've liked to read a little bit more about the songs and how they sound rather than a background story/ short interview though. I still enjoyed it.
01:45 PM on 02/27/09
nashiscash1324
alright alright alright
User Info.
I agree with the rating, this was a solid effort.
02:46 PM on 03/02/09
greggchi
User Info.
Definitely some good songs. But I must say I had really high expectations with two of my favorite singer/songwriters working together. Overall solid, but slightly disappointed.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos