AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Morrissey - Years Of Refusal Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.17
Musicianship 8.17
Lyrics 8.14
Production 8.19
Creativity 7.78
Lasting Value 8.11
Reviewer Tilt 8.53
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Morrissey - Years Of Refusal

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (02/18/09)
MorrisseyYears Of Refusal
Release Date: February 17, 2009
Record Label: Lost Highway

Attention all young up-and-coming bands: you just got “boom, roasted!” by Morrissey. His new album, Years Of Refusal, is more entertaining, vengeful, and beefy than anything you’ve put out recently. Basically, Morrissey rocks harder than you ever will, and he’s twice your age!

The album immediately flexes its muscles with opening track “Something Is Squeezing My Skull.” This track is nearly flawless with its huge guitars and the urgency in Morrissey’s vocal delivery. And its furious finish absolutely dominates your eardrums, as if the triumphant drums are telling you to bow down before Moz.

Keys sharply pierce “Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed” while a steady drum beat sets the pace. Morrissey swoons throughout about how “life is nothing much to lose.” “Black Cloud” begins eerily as guitars swoop in and out, while first single “I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris” is a calm jam, as Morrissey uses the metaphor to describe the chilliness of love. The showmanship in Morrissey comes alive in “All You Need Is Me,” as he (not so subtly) comments about himself.

Lyically, Years is stunning, as Morrissey explains how not falling in love isn’t the worst thing in “That’s How People Grow Up. Chunky riffs begin “One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell,” a track chock full of bravado. “It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore” is dark and sexy. The instrumentation will encompass all your senses, as Morrissey mocks a former lover with lines like “Did you really think we meant all of those syrupy, sentimental things that we said yesterday?” Mix in a hair-raising falsetto and the crescendo of cymbals and chords, and you have yourself the highlight of the album. “I’m OK By Myself” is a definitive closer. Morrissey’s vocals demand your attention, as the fast-paced guitars and drumming solely center around his voice. Morrissey gives a final middle finger to love on this track (“I’m OK by myself/and I don’t need you/and I never have/I never have.”), and you’re immediately hitting repeat on your iPod.

Years Of Refusal is a majestic collection of music, and also Morrissey’s best work since 2004's You Are The Quarry. Some thanks can go to the late Jerry Finn, who also produced Quarry. Finn definitely brought out the punk/DIY urgency on Years. Overall, fans of Moz will unquestionably be all over this, as well as new listeners, as Years Of Refusal has the capability of reaching to old fans and new ones alike. And just like a fine wine, Morrissey continues to get better with age. Years of Refusal has the potential to be remembered as one of the essential Moz records to own. In the end, Morrissey proves once again that he is still cooler than your favorite band.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
2. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
3. Black Cloud
4. I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris
5. All You Need Is Me
6. When I Last Spoke To Carol
7. That’s How People Grow Up
8. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
9. It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore
10. You Were Good In Your Time
11. Sorry Doesn’t Help
12. I’m OK By Myself
Produced by: Jerry Finn

Morrissey is:
Morrissey – vocals
Matt Walker – drums
Boz Boorer – guitar
Jesse Tobias – guitar
Solomon Walker – bass

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 80.
01:29 AM on 02/18/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I was wondering how long it was going to take you to fit "boom, roasted" into a review.

Good work, dude -- probably the same score I would have given it. I think this might be in my top 3 Moz albums. I love the sound of it all, the production, everything.
01:32 AM on 02/18/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
haha, I told Jason I was going to include boom roasted in a review.
02:49 AM on 02/18/09
tommy's ghost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review. Gave it a listen and I definitely dug it.
03:16 AM on 02/18/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
03:16 AM on 02/18/09
Cholo_Loco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review and this album is simply amazing. Morrissey is god ha
03:47 AM on 02/18/09
MFAD
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Funny how most of the people on here wouldn't even listen to Morrissey had it not been for Brand New's Jesse Lacey (he's like god or something!!! OMG!!!) mentioning him in a song. Morrissey and Brand New are so overrated.
03:55 AM on 02/18/09
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Basically, Morrissey rocks harder than you ever will, and he’s twice your age!

so very well said Drew.
04:06 AM on 02/18/09
Undue Noise
RETIRED
User Info.
Good review, great album.
04:07 AM on 02/18/09
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
Funny how most of the people on here wouldn't even listen to Morrissey had it not been for Brand New's Jesse Lacey (he's like god or something!!! OMG!!!) mentioning him in a song.

Hu---ge overstatement.
04:09 AM on 02/18/09
tait
@
User Info.
i still have to check this out. i laughed when i read "boom, roasted" though
04:10 AM on 02/18/09
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
User Info.
Nice review! Can't wait to get this album.
04:14 AM on 02/18/09
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
i dono, i didnt love it
04:39 AM on 02/18/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I went to best buy to pick this up and they were sold out, but I love Moz and am excited to find a copy.
04:53 AM on 02/18/09
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
Funny how most of the people on here wouldn't even listen to Morrissey had it not been for Brand New's Jesse Lacey (he's like god or something!!! OMG!!!) mentioning him in a song. Morrissey and Brand New are so overrated.
Pardon??
Why come and read a review of a Morrissey album if you don't like him?
How are they overrated in any way? Morrissey has worked hard in Music for over 20 years and has been a massive influence on many bands arround today, and Brand New are a very hard working band who deserve everything they deserve, and will be around for a while, unlike many bands who may relese a single and get ten minutes of fame.
Not overrated. They get everything they deserve.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums