Username
Password

Comments: Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 854
09:33 PM on 02/18/09
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
alright that was pretty damn funny. i'm gonna have to think about these for a bit..other than all The Gaslight Anthem references to other artists and songs and what not. but in terms of other stuff, i'm gonna have to think about these for a bit. i'm sure i can find a few.
Yeah--Gaslight's done it in spades.

My favorite would have to be the nod to Counting Crows' "Round Here," with the "Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand..." line.

Me too though--always wished I looked like Elvis. Who hasn't?
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
there's a million fall out boy ones. i don't know where to start.
Every Fall Out Boy title has reference to something else.
Chiodos cd "Bone Palace Ballet" is in reference to Charles Bukowski
Craig is "inspired" by the works he reads too much and steals lines.

I wonder what Shakespeare thinks of him screaming "all the worlds a stage"
iwasahero
molsh
User Info.
Mike Kinsella explaining how American Football got their name.

"My girlfriend had been in Dublin, Ireland visiting her family. One of the things she brought home for me was a flyer for a Chicago Bears exhibition game that said: "Come see American Football, featuring the most overpaid athletes in the world." Something about that statement made me think of rock bands, most of whom are the most overpaid musicians in the world. When I suggested it as a name, the other guys thought it was dumb. Still, for whatever reason, we kept it."
09:34 PM on 02/18/09
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
In the Gym Class heroes son "Taxi" I believe its called, the words are almost entirely band references strung together to tell a story and its done in an excellent way. Example, "I took cutie for a ride in my death cab, destination midtown just to get up with some kids that like to get down."

Death Cab For Cutie, Midtown, The Get up Kids
Thank you for telling me. I never knew that.
yup.
User Info.
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: "Oh Juliet, Oh Juliet, deny your name, your father" - TREOS "...Then I Defy You Stars"
i was thinking of that one! "...then i defy you, stars" is a line taken directly from the play.

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;"

that is one verse from 'eloisa to abelard' by alexander pope. that verse is spoken by kirsten dunst's character in the movie. and, like someone else said, the line following the movie title line contains "wish resign", a song from circa survive's juturna. that whole album features a lot of themes related to the movie.

there's the whole connection between pink floyd's 'the dark side of the moon' and the wizard of oz. i don't know much about that one. pretty interesting though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

i'll try to think of more.
TakeThs2UrGrave
blink and you missed it
User Info.
don't know about this one but...brand new's "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't"....that title is in Home Alone whenever Kevin is watchin' that mobster movie
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Truth. Hahaha. idk, it's been years since I've read a Chuck Palahniuk novel, OR listened to a PATD song.
Same. I had Invisible Monsters at one point, let someone borrow it and never got it back. I haven't listened to Fever in a long time, but that song always stood out to me, since it had the Palahniuk references and all.
strtfrd7
User Info.
Doesn't Soco reference JEW in Konstantine?
yea, the first line or two from "for me this is heaven"
a morning view
deep sleeper
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gatsby's American Dream - "You All Everybody" and "Station 5: The Pearl" = LOST references.
09:35 PM on 02/18/09
midtown4657
Dorsey / Andy
User Info.
my friend was going on about some movie the other night and my recollection of the conversation was blahblahsomethingsomething Coffee's For Closers" at which point i started listening because i went "wait...that's the title of that Fall Out Boy song on the new record.." and he told me it was from this movie Glengarry GlenRoss, so i rented that tonight to see what it's all about. i really have no idea. but i like that song, so what the hell.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
You Shook Me All Night Long = sex reference?
Every AC/DC song equals sex reference.
katiemae
User Info.
Melee's song "Biggest Mistake" talks about Mitch Ryder, who sang "Devil With A Blue Dress On."

"...Mitch Ryder warned me
About the psycho with the blue dress on."
09:36 PM on 02/18/09
martyshannon
User Info.
American Nightmare makes alot of references to stuff, the obvious one I can remember is the song "I Saved Latin"

Last Lights quotes Joe Strummer

That's all I can think off right now.
dpetty21
User Info.
In the Gym Class heroes son "Taxi" I believe its called, the words are almost entirely band references strung together to tell a story and its done in an excellent way. Example, "I took cutie for a ride in my death cab, destination midtown just to get up with some kids that like to get down."

Death Cab For Cutie, Midtown, The Get up Kids
Never really listened to GCH but that sounds awesome. Name dropping three in one is sweet.

Also The Gay Blades may have got their name from the show Sanford and Son. Grady sees Lamont and his guy friend coming out of a gay club name The Gay Blade and they think he's gay throughout the episode only to be found wrong. I've never listened to the band but that's gotta be where it comes from.
visforvig
User Info.
the song "Pattycake" by Self has the whole "hello operator, give me number nine" routine in the bridge. Totally sweet.

also,
Every Hold Steady record has a D4 reference.

see you saturday, college show, wooo.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version