AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Paint By Numbers - 09.27.05

Interviewed by
Paint By Numbers - 09.27.05Just so all the people reading this know, who are we talking to and what do you do in the band Paint By Numbers?

Adam: I play bass and drink.

Shawn: I play guitar, smoke cigarettes and drink.

Justin- vocals

Stewart: lead guitar

Nick: drums

[/b]So your debut album “Plastic” just came out a couple of days ago. How does it feel to finally have the record out?[/b]

Adam: A huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders. We have been milking a 3 song demo for over a year before Plastic came out. We are really excited to get out a promote it.
Stewart: relieved and good and excited

Where did you guys come up with the idea for the name and album artwork?

Justin: Years ago we adopted the band name as a fuck you, after a bad review in a zine called us paint by numbers pop punk. We decided to stick with the mock theme of being fake and generic for the album title.

What was the whole writing and recording process like for the band while writing this album?

Adam: We took about 3 months total with about 2 weeks of preproduction. It was recorded at a great studio in Portland called Dogfish (Fusion), along with some overdubbing and editing done at Kamp Grizzly. There are a few things we wanted to try but just ran out of time. We are all pretty happy with it.
Justin: Long and painful.

I don’t know if a lot of bands do this, but did you have kind of an idea of how you wanted the album to go or have any songs already written way before you went to record it?

Adam: First of all, things NEVER go as planned. I think we all an idea of how WE wanted it to go but sometimes plans get broken. Having said that we handled adversity well and came out with a great album.

Justin: With the exception of a few tweaks in the studio, all of the songs were written before recording
Stewart: yeah definitely, but thing always change when you go into studio

Who did you guys work with on the production of it?

Justin: Jake Portrait

What are some of your musical influences growing up and even when writing songs?

Adam: Trail of Dead, Ryan Adams, ATDI, Toto, the guy who wrote the theme song to "Taxi", Grand Funk Railroad, The Police, The Doors, Bread, Allman Bros., James Brown, Public Enemy, De La Soul, etc...

Justin: My musical influences are always changing. Lately I’ve been listening to the new coldplay album, sunny day real estate, whiskeytown and old country stuff.

Shawn: Yanni, John Tesh, and Jim Neighbors

Stewart: stp, nirvana, soundgarden, death cab, small brown bike

Where do you guys hope to see yourselves in 5 years?

Adam: Super rich and semi famous.

Justin: Alive

stewart: making enough off the music to constantly tour!

Shawn: Not drowning in a pool of my own vomit.

Whats your relationship like with your label Rise Records like and how did you guys meet them and get signed?

Adam: Our publicist Kaytea at XO Publicity had work quite a bit with Rise. She help seal the deal. We had been talking with them on and off for a year and finally 2 days before we were going into the studio to record our own record, Rise faxed over contracts.

I saw that the band is playing a few shows here and there in the next month, but can we plan to see any tours coming up in the coming months?

Adam: We are heading out in October with Still Life Projector (Rise), The Higher (Fiddler), and Nural (Hopeless) and we're stoked. That one will be mainly west coast. Then in November we will be heading out with Days Like These (Lobster) and Just Surrender. That one will be mainly east coast.

Do you ever find it hard leaving home when you guys go out on the road?

Adam: It gets tough trying to save enough money to have bills paid while your gone. Some of us have girlfriend as well which is always rough.
Justin: No
Stewart: no I miss the road

Any really memorable stories from shows or being on the road that you would like to share with us?

Adam: The day before we played the Knitting Factory in NY. Stewart got real drunk and handed out flyers to EVERYONE that came out of the subway. The next night we randomly heard these girls talking in the bathroom saying how some crazy drunk guy gave them a flyer and a hug the night before so they had to come see the show.

Justin: We were in Colorado Springs sleeping in the RV after a long night of drinking. I woke up to find some homeless chick sleeping inside. She woke up shortly after I did and went outside to smoke a cigarette. I knew that if anyone in the band actually allowed her to sleep inside, then it had to have been Stewart. I explained to his drunk ass that she could have robbed us fucking blind while we were passed out and he sent her on her way. Stew was grounded for the rest of the week.

Stewart: Being left at gas station twice for over an hour of yeah And I had no phone, no shoes no wallet

So, I am sure all the girls want to know If you guys wear boxers or briefs?

Adam: whitey tighties

Shawn: Leopard skin thongs

Justin: Neither
stewart: boxers that work, briefs when my pants are no tight and none if I have no clean clothes

If you guys could date any girl in the entire world, who would it be and why?

Adam: Shawn's girlfriend. Because he is my brother.

Justin: I don’t date

stewart: drew barrymore need I say why?

If you had to pick your favorite 5 albums of all time, what would they be?

Adam: I hate this question: ATDI - Relationship to Command, The Doors - Morrison Hotel, James Brown - Live Augusta, Georgia, Robert Thomas Velline - Nothin' Like A Sunny Day,
ZZ Top - DeGuello

Shawn: I refuse to answer this because if I do, I'll get pissed later because I'll think of something that I should have put on there instead of what I did. And then I won't stop thinking about it for weeks, more than likely years.

Justin: Wish by the Cure, The River Bed by Small Brown Bike, Wildflowers by Tom Petty, The Rising Tide by Sunny Day Real Estate, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

Any albums that came out this last year that just really stuck out to you guys?

Adam: Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cold Roses

justin: Coldplay, X and Y

Shawn: Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cold Roses, Death Cab - Plans, Arcade Fire - Funeral

Well, that’s about all the questions I have for you guys, I just want to thank you again for taking the time to do this. Is there anything else you would like to say to all the readers and fans out there in absolutepunk.net land?

Adam: Thanks to you Brandon for hooking this up. Plastic is out now... go buy it.

Shawn: And before or after you go buy it, please see if we're having a show near by and come to it.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:32 PM on 09/29/05
kissthelipless
Deja Entendme
User Info.
awesome interview Brandon, you're a fucking wicked interviewer.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos