Password

Album Review
The Yelling - The Yelling EP Album Cover

The Yelling - The Yelling EP

Reviewed by
The Yelling - The Yelling EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 7, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
These days, mainstream music seems to be lacking in both attitude and personality. So many musicians and bands appear perfectly content to copycat each other and join the masses at delivering the same thing time and time again. And then there's the Los Angeles band The Yelling. Their five-song self-titled EP kicks off with the gritty and in-your-face stomp of "Fire and a Microphone" and never lets up.

Within the first 30 seconds of the opener, The Yelling immediately move away from the pack and stand high above this country's musical landscape to deliver a set of songs that is heads and shoulders above what other musicians are doing these days. This is music that is wholly authentic, incredibly bold, and nothing short of stunning. Each song is unparalleled and engaging in a way that is commercially viable while still maintaining an indie skeleton.

Vocalist Nathan Cox ignites each of the five songs with a charismatic howl and a perfect command of both verse and chorus. His voice is the exact compliment to the frenetic guitar lines and the sweaty, jagged rhythm section. It's such a perfect match that this band could probably not exist without him. His vocal stylings are tailor-made for these colossal and dizzying aural nuggets.

The music at its core is blues-tinged classic rock that's equal parts noisy, brash and ass-kicking. The songs are rooted deep in 70s rock and are sonically and aurally audacious. There's a heartland roots rock vibe on the ballads and a dash of back-alley, stormy day Zeppelin on the foot-stompers. Tracks like "Blood on the Steps " and "Honey " are powerful, visceral, and spellbinding, and almost impossible to ignore.

On the slow, haunting crawl of "Long Time My Love" and "Burning For What," though, the band really shines. With so much energy and precision put forth in its rock songs, it's incredibly startling that there is this much passion, intimacy and warmth in its milder material. "Long Time My Love" even has a bit of Neil Young in its movement and "Burning For What" calls to mind the early years of The Band.

These two songs are delicately crafted and perfectly executed and prove that regardless of tempo, there's little this band can't tackle. In just five songs, The Yelling prove themselves to be a highly polished musical juggernaut that is certain to be a major force in the months to come. This is the kind of album that makes everything else look cheap and uninspiring. If there's a better EP than this floating around, it sure as heck has yet to come to my attention.

The YellingNathaniel Cox - vox/guitar
Robert Davis - guitar
Michael Judd - drums
Chris McKee - bass

Recommended If You LikeThe White Stripes; Wolfmother; Jet; Cold War Kids

myspace.com/theyelling

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:18 PM on 02/26/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
What's with your slow progression of reviews being posted? haha.

Good job though, nice review, though not my thing.
05:36 AM on 02/27/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.

Not exactly sure what you mean? I've been reviewing discs since Feb. 2008. I took a few months off from Sept.-Dec. to tackle some personal affairs. Glad you've been noticing though! I appreciate your feedback!
07:58 AM on 02/27/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Not exactly sure what you mean? I've been reviewing discs since Feb. 2008. I took a few months off from Sept.-Dec. to tackle some personal affairs. Glad you've been noticing though! I appreciate your feedback!
lol no no no i meant today. three of yours were posted with like hour breaks between each one. It was just strange because they normally post a whole slew in the space of an hour and flood the page.
11:41 AM on 02/28/09
drago_breath
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like this band
02:22 PM on 03/04/09
Klatzke
User Info.

... called it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version