Password

Album Review

Gods and Queens - Untitled Album Cover

Gods and Queens - Untitled

Reviewed by
Gods and Queens - Untitled
Record Label: Robotic Empire
Release Date: October 14, 2008
The debut of Gods and Queens is a blanket of chaos with shouts of vocals throughout. It's akin to the classic punk records by Quicksand or Fugazi with every track being untitled and very short with the entire album clocking in at just 27 minutes. The drums on track one thunder throughout and keep a good crushing tempo. The clean and vibrant guitar chords on track two remind me of the intro of Glassjaw's "Trailer Park Jesus." The song gets meaner and louder as it progresses into a beautiful clashing fiasco in the end. The quirky guitar licks on track three make it flow nicely. This is definitely a song that had me air drumming during the jam-tastic ending. Moving on, track six picks up the pace wonderfully with a thrashing introduction and crafty guitar work that reminds one of Omar from Mars Volta (although this great sound is nearly drowned out in production). The ending of this track is my favorite part of the record with rampantly thundering drum work. With all the great jamming, I expected a cornucopia of musical insanity on the last track (especially with it being nine minutes long). Unfortunately, the last track is instead nine minutes of rambling guitar and spacey electronic sounds. This song might sound a lot better if the volume is up to eleven, but even then it's nothing too brilliant or exciting.

Gods and Queens' Untitled is a worthy debut, but their sound seems to be a little narrow, and I would like to see them expand a little. The slower songs especially need something else to hold the listener's attention. I bet a record like this sounds much better at a live show where you witness the insanity in person.

Recommended If You LikeThese Arms Are Snakes; Fugazi

myspace.com/godsandqueens
This review is a user submitted review from live4music. You can see all of live4music's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version