Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 67
10:00 AM on 03/02/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Blake gets so much hate; it truly makes me "lol."

Breakaway was definitely her overall best CD. I haven't given this a fair listen yet, though, so we'll see how close this is.

As for ADTR... They might be one of the early "innovators" of pop punk/hardcore scene (I don't know, so I'll just give this to you), but Homesick is definitely a typical scene album. I'm sorry, but it is. I mentally group them with bands like TDWP: They're not horrific, but they aren't interesting, and they just make me want to listen to some other band.

My December was so boring.
At the risk of losing "scene cred" (<-- just kidding), i will say that Brekaway has influenced my life and my own personal writings in many ways, i totally love how she was both vulnerable and powerful at the same time...
yes.. ADTR is a pretty typical scene band, i will admit that, but i was just saying that they deserve some cred since they were also an early innovator...
i also admit that Homesick was pretty standard in terms of their scene... but there were some tracks on that album (such as "If it means alot to you") that will go down as some of my faves of all time....
i would also group them in with TDWP and others ike Sky Eats Airplane, Skylit Drive, DGD etc...
but i also love those groups so i dont complain much about the similarities
My December was indeed boring, even the "Hit single" wasnt so great...
i actually BOUGHT that album and i was like WTF is this
10:27 AM on 03/02/09
jcoop05
User Info.
I want to agree as well, I mean she des have a better voice than practically all of her contemporaries with the exception of a few. But this album does nothing to set her apart from her contempraries. My December, definitely, but All I Ever Wanted just lumps her right back in with the rest.
10:53 AM on 03/02/09
Troggy
Basking in Wrongness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not great, but it would be much improved.

I just don't think you are giving some parts of the record enough credit. Really the only eyesore here is "I want you"... "If I can't have you" falls mostly victim to bad track ordering. Why its between those two ballads is beyond me, but really it's not a bad song if you give it a few tries. Think of what that song would have sounded like in the hands of a lesser vocalist, it would have been heavily compressed and the beat would have been played up to a point where the vocals are irrelevant.

Some people are saying that a dancey song like that is "not her style" and doesn't fit, and again, I wouldn't argue that the way it is positioned on the record does not do it any favors, but it doesn't sound like it is trying to be hip to the point where it disregards Kelly's talents. That's the appeal of Kelly, she is modern enough to fit in, but not to the point where she get sucked into the worst trends of the time. Also she has great range and can do ballads just as well as upbeat rockers.

If I had to pick the next weakest track I would have to say "Impossible", but it's really not bad, just more like expected filler. I am not surprised that something like that ended up on the record, but I wouldn't necessarily fault the album for it, since there are a slew of very good songs here.

your recommending pink with this crap? pink has had album successes every single time out. this is kelly's biggest disappointment ever! my december was her and was fantastic might i add. she sold herself to the devil to make a piece of pop trash that i hope doesn't sell a single unit.

lololololololol

I Do Not Hook Up is so good.

That it is.

I wonder what it's like to try and do your own thing and fall flat on your face. I feel sorry for her, now she must reverb back to being a manufactured pop star

Yeah but really, let us look at this objectively. The last record was bad, this record is much better, I don't think people should be losing sleep over it. After all, a lot of people love Breakaway, and that was every bit as calculated as the new record.

I want to agree as well, I mean she des have a better voice than practically all of her contemporaries with the exception of a few. But this album does nothing to set her apart from her contempraries. My December, definitely, but All I Ever Wanted just lumps her right back in with the rest.

Who are you calling her "contemporaries"? Colbie Callait*, Katy Perry, and Sara Barrelies* or something? How could you say she has a better voice than her contemporaries but that doesn't set her apart? It's mainstream pop music, how does having the best voice not set you apart? She took a song made for Katy Perry (I do not hook up) and sung it far better than Perry would have, how is that not saying something?

Really the only people out there in terms of female vocalists that currently rival Kelly's success are people like Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. They are both pop-country so there really isn't a lot of comparison anyway, outside of Taylor Swift has bad hooks and Kelly has good ones. The rest of the crowd hasn't gotten more than one or two hits, people like Leona Lewis, Jordan Sparks, etc are way more generic than Kelly. Rihanna has had multi hit success, but I don't give her a lot of credit since most of it is built off naggy hooks, dance beats, and guest rappers.

*Spelling errors are acknowledged, but honestly neither one is worth spelling correctly
11:05 AM on 03/02/09
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
I dislike ignorance
but its found in the most common people
there's no stopping it
11:22 AM on 03/02/09
jcoop05
User Info.
I just don't think you are giving some parts of the record enough credit. Really the only eyesore here is "I want you"... "If I can't have you" falls mostly victim to bad track ordering. Why its between those two ballads is beyond me, but really it's not a bad song if you give it a few tries. Think of what that song would have sounded like in the hands of a lesser vocalist, it would have been heavily compressed and the beat would have been played up to a point where the vocals are irrelevant.

Some people are saying that a dancey song like that is "not her style" and doesn't fit, and again, I wouldn't argue that the way it is positioned on the record does not do it any favors, but it doesn't sound like it is trying to be hip to the point where it disregards Kelly's talents. That's the appeal of Kelly, she is modern enough to fit in, but not to the point where she get sucked into the worst trends of the time. Also she has great range and can do ballads just as well as upbeat rockers.

If I had to pick the next weakest track I would have to say "Impossible", but it's really not bad, just more like expected filler. I am not surprised that something like that ended up on the record, but I wouldn't necessarily fault the album for it, since there are a slew of very good songs here.

lololololololol

That it is.

Yeah but really, let us look at this objectively. The last record was bad, this record is much better, I don't think people should be losing sleep over it. After all, a lot of people love Breakaway, and that was every bit as calculated as the new record.

Who are you calling her "contemporaries"? Colbie Callait*, Katy Perry, and Sara Barrelies* or something? How could you say she has a better voice than her contemporaries but that doesn't set her apart? It's mainstream pop music, how does having the best voice not set you apart? She took a song made for Katy Perry (I do not hook up) and sung it far better than Perry would have, how is that not saying something?

Really the only people out there in terms of female vocalists that currently rival Kelly's success are people like Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. They are both pop-country so there really isn't a lot of comparison anyway, outside of Taylor Swift has bad hooks and Kelly has good ones. The rest of the crowd hasn't gotten more than one or two hits, people like Leona Lewis, Jordan Sparks, etc are way more generic than Kelly. Rihanna has had multi hit success, but I don't give her a lot of credit since most of it is built off naggy hooks, dance beats, and guest rappers.

*Spelling errors are acknowledged, but honestly neither one is worth spelling correctly
I'm not speaking in terms of success. She does have one of the best voices hands down. But, on My December the material was at least a little bit interesting. Well, about as interesting as it gets for mainstream pop.

I've been a fan of Kelly, but this just sounds like they threw a bunch of songs together and said, "Here you go, do your best." Most of the songs aren't even that catchy.

Christina Aguilera has a better voice than Kelly, and the last couple of songs she released with her Greatest Hits album were atrocious. So,it just goes to show that although it's pop music just having the best voice doesn't do it all the time.
12:05 PM on 03/02/09
Everiggs
<--------Hot
User Info.
Haven't listened to this one yet, but I've always had a softspot for Kelly.
12:36 PM on 03/02/09
mallyland
Graduation: May 23rd
User Info.
Your RIYL are way off.
12:37 PM on 03/02/09
mallyland
Graduation: May 23rd
User Info.
The first time I heard that "My life would suck without you" song I literally laughed so hard I cried. "Suck" is such an ugly and just wrong word to put in a pop song--let alone the chorus.
I think putting "suck" in a song is very smart -- it's how people talk.
01:08 PM on 03/02/09
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Katy Perry co-wrote "Long Shot" and "I Do Not Hook Up" and Matt Theissen of Relient K co-wrote "Long Shot"
Haha oh Matty T and Katy Perry.
02:09 PM on 03/02/09
Troggy
Basking in Wrongness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not speaking in terms of success. She does have one of the best voices hands down. But, on My December the material was at least a little bit interesting. Well, about as interesting as it gets for mainstream pop.

I've been a fan of Kelly, but this just sounds like they threw a bunch of songs together and said, "Here you go, do your best." Most of the songs aren't even that catchy.

I do not understand this. The majority of My December was forgettable because the songs didn't have any hooks to them. The only songs that I really like are "Sober", "Can I have a Kiss" (good hook, just about the only one), "Maybe" and "Irvine". She did a good job with the slow numbers, much more intimate and authentic than the professional ditties, but she couldn't write a hook for almost any of the upbeat songs.

The new record is catchy as catchy comes, I'm not sure what you are looking for out of Kelly Clarkson. She came into the music world as a talented vehicle for other people's songs, and that's still what she is. I like that she puts her own touch on her songs, but you have to remember where she came from.

They really nailed the ballads this time around, "Already Gone", "Save You" and "If No One Will Listen" are all very good. Like I said, the record has a few missteps, and one awful song, but once you settle down with it, it is a very enjoyable album.

Originally Posted by coops
Christina Aguilera has a better voice than Kelly, and the last couple of songs she released with her Greatest Hits album were atrocious. So,it just goes to show that although it's pop music just having the best voice doesn't do it all the time.

Of course it's not the only factor, but with the female pop vocalist crowd the way it is, the number of truly good singers can be counted on one hand. Regardless of how good a couple of bonus songs on a hits album are, Christina Aguilera will always stand out because of her voice, and so will Kelly Clarkson.
02:16 PM on 03/02/09
inyoursea
crazy for you baby
User Info.
Nice review Blake. Always enjoy your reviews regardless of the topic.
02:35 PM on 03/02/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
FYI - I think you mean Ryan Tedder, not Teddy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Tedder
02:46 PM on 03/02/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
I really like Don't Let Me Stop You but when she sings the word "silly" it does sound silly. "Crazy" would have been cliche but probably sound more smooth.

Then again, weird sounding lyrics can be easier to remember.
03:12 PM on 03/02/09
BulleTheory
User Info.
rofl
03:14 PM on 03/02/09
Cosmic Massacre
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hmm, I agree with this review. I love Kelly, but I was really disappointed with this.
Don't get me wrong, there are some brilliant tracks here ("Cry", "I Do Not Hook Up", "Don't Let Me Stop You", "Long Shot", and the bonus track "The Day We Fell Apart" is great too), but it just lacks originality.

For example - 'Already Gone', while not a bad song sounds EERILY like Beyonce's 'Halo', and 'Whyyawannabringmedown' seems like one of the few moments on the disk where Kelly sounds like she's having fun with the music she's singing.

There are affecting moments here, and there is fun to be HAD, but My December (probably my favorite Kelly CD) had much more haunting songs, while Breakaway was more of a grabbing-listen. And it feels in the middle for not many of the right reasons.

So..personally:
Kelly = Great.
However this CD is just too hit-and-miss for me as a whole.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos