AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pussycat Dolls - Doll Domination Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 59%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Pussycat Dolls - Doll Domination

Reviewed by: npmshah (03/02/09)
Pussycat Dolls - Doll Domination
Record Label: A&M / Interscope / Polydor
Release Date: September 19, 2008

Before one can understand Doll Domination, one must know what has happened in Camp Pussycat since they last made waves with hits like “Stickwitu” and “Don’t Cha.” Then Head Doll Nicole attempted to pursue a solo career. The album was scrapped since four singles released didn’t become hits, probably because no one cared to differentiate the Dolls from each other. Enter Doll Domination. The cover is bedecked with each doll on a motorcycle with their first initial on the front. In the album proper, each doll sings lead on at least two tracks on the album. Naturally, the big name guests are also here (Missy Elliot and Snoop Dogg among others).

One of the most positive things about this album is the Dolls do not touch upon the golden subject of sex. There are songs about love, partying, and empowerment, but there is never a mention of sex on the album. This is for the better, because there are some tracks that are so good and deep they become guilty pleasures (as is in the case of current radio hit “I Hate This Part”). The production gets experimental at times, but it usually fails. Album highlights include “When I Grow Up,” “I Hate This Part,” “Who’s Gonna Love You,” “Happily Never After,” “Halo,” “In Person,” “Hush Hush,” and “I’m Done.” The rest of the album is largely filler, and I recommend skipping those tracks.

One thing I’ve noticed about this album is the ballads tend to soar and the dance geared tunes usually fail (with a few exceptions, including album opener “When I Grow Up”). Other songs tend to have great intros, then fail to match up the high water mark it sets. One thing I can promise you: if you love the onslaught of music from Britney Spears and the like, this album’s sixteen tracks will be enough to tide you over until either a new Dolls album or a new solo album from a former Doll.

Recommended If You LikeTop 40 radio; Britney Spears; Spice Girls

pcdmusic.com
myspace.com/pussycatdolls

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
08:50 AM on 03/09/09
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
This isn't punk!!!
10:25 AM on 03/10/09
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
True but it ws in the reviews section. I wanted to review it.
11:03 AM on 03/10/09
lostfear
Jakesonaplane
User Info.
I enjoy the fact that someone attempted to review this.
11:37 AM on 03/10/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Ah, the good old days when comments like this were thrown around like loose change...
12:37 PM on 03/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
i think i did put a joke in there about how not punk this album was... why did it get cut?
12:42 PM on 03/10/09
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
i think i did put a joke in there about how not punk this album was... why did it get cut?
It wasn't necessary. Now the review starts right where it needs to.
12:50 PM on 03/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
It wasn't necessary. Now the review starts right where it needs to.
ok... understood... thanks for the heads up :-D
03:30 PM on 03/10/09
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Tate should really consider changing the name of this site if he is going to let shit like this be reviewed. What the fuck is the matter with you kids today, Where did it all go wrong?

I blame MTV
04:45 PM on 03/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Tate should really consider changing the name of this site if he is going to let shit like this be reviewed. What the fuck is the matter with you kids today, Where did it all go wrong?

I blame MTV
one of the major missions of this site is to give every album thats sent to them a chance at exposure, even if they are over-exposed already...
i was asked by linda to review this because the CD was sent to the site...
even though its not punk, its still in accordance with APs most basic principles
02:51 PM on 03/13/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
one of the major missions of this site is to give every album thats sent to them a chance at exposure, even if they are over-exposed already...
i was asked by linda to review this because the CD was sent to the site...
even though its not punk, its still in accordance with APs most basic principles
I don't think being covered by Mayday Parade counts as following AP's basic principles.
02:57 PM on 03/13/09
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.

I blame MTV
Quit being an ass. Kids can review anything they want, from the smallest unsigned release to whatever MTV is plugging this week.
03:04 PM on 03/13/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Quit being an ass. Kids can review anything they want, from the smallest unsigned release to whatever MTV is plugging this week.
Thank you.
03:58 PM on 03/15/09
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.

Gofuckyourself
04:19 PM on 03/15/09
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Eloquent rebuttal.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives