AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Marc Broussard - Carencro Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Marc Broussard - Carencro

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (03/03/09)
Marc Broussard - Carencro
Record Label: Island Records
Release Date: August 3, 2004

The most pessimistic of people will read the last chapter of a book first to know the ending, just in case they were to kick the bucket mid-novel. Itís a sour way to look at the world, and in most cases, knowing the ending isnít much of anything if you donít know the beginning. So, as a music listener, one could choose to listen to Marc Broussardís newest album, Keep Coming Back, rather than start at the beginning with Momentary Setback. Truthfully, you canít go wrong with anything Marc Broussard has created, but I think that to understand it all, you have to start at the beginning and work your way to the end.

Because honestly, you canít wholeheartedly appreciate what Keep Coming Back is all about unless you know that it came so far from Momentary Setback. And, you canít appreciate the heart soul of his newest work without understanding the sweat he poured into his sophomore effort, Carencro. Itís all a progression that needs to be experienced in the correct order. Like reading a book series out of order, listening to Marc Broussard out of order wonít give you all you need to know about one of the most gifted singers and songwriters weíll ever hear.

I truly found out who Marc Broussard was when I listened to Carencro for the first time. Broussard, born and bred in the bayou town of Carencro, Louisiana, puts forth a sophomore record that just oozes the sweat from a hot southern night in mid-July. You can almost touch the kind of soul that comes through the stereo when this record is on. It lets you know exactly where he came from and exactly where he is going.

The album starts with ďHome,Ē the finest Broussard song to date. Itís the embodiment of deep southern soul music. Its infectious guitar riff and tambourine-laden chorus are absolutely incredible. ďRocksteadyĒ is the next track and itís got the vivacity of a full pub on a Friday night. Itís all about having fun and being fun. ďCome AroundĒ has a soulful, slow start, but it breaks into a grooving chorus and second verse. One of my favorites on the album is ďLonely Night in Georgia.Ē Itís the ultimate slow and painful brooding of a song that letís you into what life is like for a musician on the road. ďThe WandererĒ is carried over from his first album and rightfully so. Itís a song about finding yourself, about figuring out where you want to go in life. ďGavinís Song,Ē the most touching song, ends the album. Broussard sings about how much he misses his home, his family, his wife, and most importantly, his son. As a listener, it chills me every time to hear it. In fact, it is so moving that while performing at his latest show in my area, Broussard actually shed a tear after singing it because he missed his son so much.

Itís this type of emotion that makes Broussard such a compelling artist. Heís real and very honest with his music and lyrics. For someone so young, he holds the pose of a veteran storyteller. It starts on a piece of paper and comes to life when his hands touch the guitar. Heís become a master of telling us a story that weíll always want to listen to. And in the series of Mr. Marc Broussard, his second novel, Carencro, should never be skipped, only read and re-read.

Recommended If You DigMarc Broussard; soul; sweat; sweet tea; funk; pipes from the South; humming

marcbroussard.com
myspace.com/marcbroussard

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
08:04 AM on 03/10/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This is where it's at. As good a major-label debut as there has been in music in the last few years.
This album will always be a classic.
Regardless of what he does, I will always come back to this album.
I told you that my aunt and uncle live in Carencro, right?
12:02 PM on 03/10/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Great review, Jason. I'll have to check this guy out at some point. (I say that a lot.)
11:26 AM on 03/13/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
I told you that my aunt and uncle live in Carencro, right?

Yea, you did. I would love to have family there so I could have a reason to visit and tell everyone I have family who live next to Marc Broussard.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests