AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hail Archer - Hail Archer EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 5.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.88
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.5
Production 5.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.63
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Hail Archer - Hail Archer EP

Reviewed by: Klatzke (03/03/09)
Hail Archer - Hail Archer EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 17, 2008

Who?

An unsigned four-piece prog set that play tunes that rival those of My Epic, just a bit more upbeat and without the unbelievably high-ranged vocalist.

How is it?

While it has ultimately redeeming moments, much of the EP suffers from its lackluster production. This doesn't drag it down to the point where it's unlikeable, (and it's only three songs, so it's not anyone has to suffer through anything), but it's hard to deny the EP would sound even better if the songs were higher quality recordings.

Putting this fact aside, it's pretty solid. The vocalist can hold his own, and as mentioned before, though he may gravitate to some high ranges at times, he stays mostly in a lower more comfortable register. The guitar work is intricate, as with most of the staples of this genre, and they do add their own twists and turns every now and then throughout the course of the 12-minute trek. This is most notable in the soaring intro of "Bury This in Texas" and the softer melodies of "Blessings on Repeat." The album is short but sweet, and though there are a few very slight missteps, they've got their sound pegged pretty well for a younger band.

Hail Archer has some serious talent. These recordings show this well, I just hope that in the future they can hook up with a means of production that allows them to display that fact in it's full splendor.

Recommended If You LikeIn:Aviate; As Cities Burn's Come Now, Sleep; prog-rock vocalists that aren't stuck in a permanent falsetto

myspace.com/hailarcher

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
01:32 PM on 03/10/09
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
I found this band a couple weeks ago, and I'm really looking forward to their future stuff. I think they have some great potential. Bury This In Texas is definitely my favorite.
03:50 PM on 03/12/09
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
These guys are basically from my backyard. I enjoy a couple of their songs, but for the most part, what I've seen of them live sounds like generic scream-y/alt/prog rock that confines itself to the same formula a million other bands out there use...Maybe it's just their live performance (the lead singer couldn't sing that well and the music sounded generic), however, so I'll give this a listen, regardless.

If you're really looking for a good band from the Wisconsin/IL area, check out The Felix Culpa. Now that stuff is pure talent. Their EP "Thought Control" is so, so good.
03:51 PM on 03/12/09
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
either way, good review. It's nice to see them on this site.

edit: Actually..Klatzke, if you get the chance, you should check out TFC (and maybe even give it a review since you seem to be good at doing it / are the only user-reviewer that I continually see and read reviews from). Their EP is on it-leaked. It's really worthy of a listen. Hail Archer basically started off opening up for them at shows.
08:30 PM on 03/12/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
either way, good review. It's nice to see them on this site.

edit: Actually..Klatzke, if you get the chance, you should check out TFC (and maybe even give it a review since you seem to be good at doing it / are the only user-reviewer that I continually see and read reviews from). Their EP is on it-leaked. It's really worthy of a listen. Hail Archer basically started off opening up for them at shows.
if you know them have them contact me about it or shoot them a myspace message or somethin
06:09 PM on 04/12/09
Accana
User Info.
a band from around my area.

guitarists are brothers and are undeniably solid. Id like to see more contrast with the feel of the songs. Not much variation from start to finish, however the flow is fantastic and keeps me riding a wave of enjoyment through the end.

Definitely a good band that should get more recognition then granted.
12:36 PM on 10/08/09
Atell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good Review. They have a few new songs on myspace with way better production/recording quality.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests