Username
Password

04:28 PM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
there's alot of records I'd call near flawless (example: Wilco's Being There), but a rush job like this certainly isn't one of them.

nonesense.
Album wasn't rushed. That's a simple fact. Stop trolling the thread.
04:31 PM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Flawless is a difficult word to pin on any album, no matter who recorded it.

I love the album, but I know it will be hard for many older fans to get into it. It's a paced album, a steady balance of old-time rock n' roll and rhythm & blues. Maybe the reason some people don't like it is because this is far more Gaslight than ever before -- the influences are still apparent, just not as blatant.
Absolutely. I think it's clear that people use words like that as synonyms for "I really like it" and "love it" and "holy shit this is amazing" ... it's a phrase being used to say it's really good. Not that it's "perfect" - as - I think most music listeners know - perfect is unattainable. The phrase is inherently subjective.

The best albums are not definition "flawless" -- because those little flaws are what give them character.
04:42 PM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
i don't think it's unreasonable to assume when someone says something is "flawless" or "perfect" they mean exactly like that.
I find it extremely unreasonable for anyone to assume this if they've spent more than 5 minutes on a message board discussing music.
09:03 AM on 04/21/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
however you feel about the new record, he's beautiful. this is the photo from the new rolling stone magazine- danny clinch has always captured artists brilliantly!

Any scans of the article itself?
09:51 AM on 04/21/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
OK, we're going to be interviewing each member of the band leading up to the release date. So, if you have questions for a member - please quote this post. Please make sure to let me know who you are addressing the question to. Thanks!
12:22 PM on 04/21/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
so brian's "no surrender" duet with bruce springsteen made it onto bruce's new upcoming live dvd? awesome.
Seriously? That's awesome.
12:29 PM on 04/21/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
yup!

even more excited for this now.
Damn!

Now that's a video I wanna see.
11:16 AM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
The line in "Boxer" about a ballerina laying down ... is that a reference to a jewelry box?
11:21 AM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
you mean "Orphans"? "We kept our secrets in rooms, locked up tight like a tomb where the ballerinas lay" - hmm that could totally be a reference to a jewelery box.
Yeah, that one. My bad.
03:29 PM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
No sarcasm, just silliness. I just think he's deliberately developing a "cult of personality" around his songwriting in an effort to get people talking about him, his songwriting, etc. There's definitely a talent to veiling things in imagery the way he does, but I think it's very much just...I don't know.

I just remember somebody asking him who "Maria" was, and he said something like: "You wouldn't ask Elvis about his blue suede shoes, would'jya?" It pretty much turned me off from attempting to decode any of his lyrics in the future. I just have a feeling he just sort of puts things together that sound cool, haha. That's all. But I'm secretly hoping there's a method to his madness and he eventually unveils it.

However, I would love a hug from a motherly figure with a large bussom. I could use one. There's a thunderstorm a'brewin' 'round these parts. And I'm a'scared.
Wow, that's so not Brian.
09:36 AM on 04/23/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
The only thing I need is lyrics.
There is a blog on AP.net somewhere with them
10:58 AM on 05/25/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Really is one my favorite releases of the year. Solidifies the band being an all-time favorite for me. Nothing they've done has wronged me.
Agreed.

Moving into top 3 category for me.
10:33 AM on 06/15/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
The Gaslight Anthem ... in the same league as The Ready Set?

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1751582

Yeah. OK.
10:36 AM on 06/16/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...merican-slang/

7.3 from Pitchfork. Not bad at all, considering.
10:50 AM on 06/16/10 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
It would be more suitable if the score was out of 5.
Heh. To be honest, that's a good score (and the review itself is even better than the score suggests) from them. P4k bat about 20% with me (anything over a 7 is about 50%) ... but, they do write well.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos