Username
Password

12:43 PM on 07/22/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Seeing these guys for free at a free festival tonight for free. Free.
12:48 PM on 07/22/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Free details on this free festival?

San Jose's Music in the Park. New Politics is opening lol
10:15 PM on 07/22/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Got back from the show. There was this couple in front of where I was standing that knew every word to every song... that was on either American Slang or '59 Sound. Come on, gotta learn the old songs too! Anyway, great show, the band sounded great and they hit every song except 1 off the Senor and Queen EP, which is awesome.
09:40 AM on 07/23/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
The highlight for me was easily the Lucero cover (the war, it sounded absolutely amazing, I totally geeked out and was the only one singing along near me for it ) with Tim Barry. Such a fun show, except a lot of the crowd sucked, probably because they were just there since it was free.

Yeah the crowd was pretty bad. I kept waiting for the kids from the ghettos that just showed up to smoke weed to leave, and I think the place cleared up somewhat towards the end.

The highlight for me was definitely seeing this old school hipster probably in his 60's weathering a leather jacket and a shirt with Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of the Town cover printed on it. I thought that was hilarious, but also awesome that TGA was attracting the old folks. Speaking of which, there were a lot of dads bobbing their heads in the crowd and I saw a dad with his daughter who knew every word to the songs. That's a part of TGA's success that you just can't hate - their songs are universal in terms of age.
10:29 PM on 08/11/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
try out their newest album, American Slang.

then work your way down to their previous releases. i think that'll work!

Not a bad way to do it. Or, start with Sink or Swim and work your way up. Expect to be stuck on Sink/Swim for quite some time though. Personally I think it's still their best.
12:42 PM on 08/12/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
if you like gaslight, check out my band. a lot of reviews have been comparing us, even though i don't really hear it.

http://www.myspace.com/banquetsamerica

You guys are awesome.
03:50 PM on 08/16/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
You remind me of a mixture of Anberlin and SoS-era Gaslight. In other words, holy shit.

That's what they reminded me of too. Anberlin in the vocals, and Gaslight in everything else.
05:19 PM on 08/16/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
What a potent combination haha. You're a staff member, make these guys big!

Just made a thread about them in General, and I'll be whipping up a review soon
08:42 AM on 08/17/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
It's funny because I got into Gaslight at first because they reminded me so much of Bruce. But the more I listen and love them, I almost never think of the Boss. In fact, I only think of it when someone else mentions the similarity.

That's what I can't stand about '59 Sound. It just sounds like they're trying really hard to be Bruce, borrowing his lyrics and all. But American Slang has helped me forgive them since they're starting to develop their own sound.
09:32 AM on 08/17/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Sink or Swim and The '59 Sound are tied for me with American Slang being slightly worse..

I Coul'da Been A Contender is their best song imo

Agreed. I actually feel that Sink or Swim and the EP after that are their best works. I'm not opposed to change in their music, since I actually started out with 59 Sound and American Slang and then went to their older stuff, but I feel like they were in their prime when they had the energy they had on the first two albums. But who knows, they're going to continue to evolve so I'm excited to see if they bring back some of that energy in the future.
11:10 AM on 08/24/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
"Wooderson" is actually the song that got me into The Gaslight Anthem. I heard it off the of the Warped comp. Instantly fell in love with it and then bought the '59 Sound without even checking the track listing. I was kind of disappointed to find out I didn't get the CD with that song, but it was immediately gone after hearing the record.

"Wooderson" is an incredible song. I'm not a huge fan of how it opens, I think the riff is too plain for me or something, but the part where it goes "tonight, tonight" wins me over every time.
01:19 PM on 09/14/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Eh I'm not too bummed about those songs being retired for now. "1930" is awesome but "High Lonesome" is one of my least favorite tracks of theirs and while I like both that one and "Meet Me By The River's Edge", I can do without 'em in the set. Makes more room for songs I like more.

Ditto. Personally I'm not a big fan of either High Lonesome or Meet Me.
02:54 PM on 09/14/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Same here. I like "Meet Me..." in the context of the album but it's not one I often listen to on it's own at all. And "High Lonesome" gets skipped over a lot for me. It's good and all but it's one of the weakest songs they've done imo.

I really like the verses for Meet Me but I can't stand the choruses for either.
04:10 PM on 10/04/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
I'm scared to listen to it. Ha. =/

Don't be man. If anything, you were trying to support his work, and that's something I'm sure everyone in this thread can get behind.

05:26 PM on 10/04/10 
User Info.
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Earth
Male
Haha, thanks. I guess I just assumed that it wouldn't be something he'd care much about, especially since file sharing/blogging is so common now and a lot of bands don't seem to care anymore. I also didn't anticipate it getting posted as news here or on the 'org, haha. It's okay though. I'll make sure to formally apologize to Brian if I ever meet him though. And pay him a little compensation, haha.

And when you meet him, I'm sure he'll be all "no problem man" like the nice guy he is haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos