Username
Password

10:58 AM on 04/12/11 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Quote:
Oh, actually, "The Queen of Lower Chelsea" got boring after a few listens.

Personally, I thought TQoLC (along with We Did it When We Were Young) really grew on me after several listens. First couple of time I was like "This is a killer intro riff and decent song" and now I'm like "Everything about this song is completely awesome"
11:54 AM on 04/14/11 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Don't forget Dave Hause and Greg Attonito. Top it off with a little bit of Mike Ness and a Springsteen on top.
01:23 AM on 05/10/11 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
The irony regrading all the "where should I start" discussion is that with a band like Gaslight anywhere will probably work. =P

But seriously, part of the beauty of the band is they have both the quick riffs and catchy lyrics to get you hooked pretty much anywhere you start and then the substance and depth to keep you hooked for the foreseeable future. So just pick any of their albums or songs and start listening. You'll eventually want to listen to everything anyways because Gaslight is the type of band that cherishes *all* their material in live shows and you don't want to be the kid that knowns T59S and AS by heart, but has never even heard "Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts"
11:31 PM on 05/11/11 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
I hate Sink or Swim. SO (edit) unpolished for them

Give it another listen mate. Yes, it lacks a certain polish but it still has the same great sound and lyrics the rest of Gaslight's stuff does. If the polish really is a problem for you, ease yourself in with something like Woody Joe and before you know it the record might not be your favorite (it isn't mine) but "hate" won't even cross your mind when you think of it.
06:08 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Always associated "Greatest Expectations" with being their most well-known song.

T59S has the most plays on last.fm. Its the one they played with Bruce. Its easily their most 'well-known' song.

Also is "Greatest Expectations" a sequel to Great Expectations or is it just Gaslight's Me Vs Madonna vs. Elvis? =P
03:01 AM on 04/29/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Maradona. Maradona. Maradona.

This guy

thatsthejoke.jpg (the song is called "Great Expectations")
02:40 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Part of my is really really excited for this. Should be a great experiencing getting to seem them at a somewhat smaller venue.

That being said, there are going to be kids who can't see the shows because they are at 21+ venues. There are going to be kids who can't see shows not because scalpers sold all the tickets, but because there are more people in Seattle who want to see them play than can fit in the Crocodile. It doesn't make much sense.

Maybe they don't think they can fill the big places twice in a short period of time, but have the month of July off so are using it to get back in the swing of touring and then in the fall will actually hit the bigger venues in all these cities again + all the ones they missed?
05:41 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Really worried that if they already started sending out prerelease copies its gonna leak soon =( (never listened to a leak before release date and don't plan on starting even for Gaslight. It just feels like a violation of the artist / listener relationship) Then again, no one leaked Elsie. So as long as they only send it to the people who got to listen to Elsie it'll be all good, right?

Glad to know it doesn't disappoint. Now to figure out how to forget about this album for ten weeks so I don't die of anticipation.
05:57 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Haha, I was one of the first people besides the band to have Elsie -- and they were really good with that one.

Yeah. I have to imagine getting albums early in a legitimate manner is one of the best perks of your job.
03:53 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old

For the person that asked me before, this sounds damn close to the finished version.

Is the third verse the same (the one with the "I wont say nothing cause thats how I know your heart")? Most of the live versions had that one, but a few of the more recent ones replaced it with a bridge. And its not like the bridge was bad, I just think that "I won't say nothing cause thats how I know your heart" is possibly the best line Brian has ever written so I'm really hoping it made the final version.
04:02 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Don't think there's the third verse.

damn =( Oh well. I trust they know what they are doing. Probably why they usually aren't to kean on releasing demo-level songs =) Maybe it'll turn up in some demos/b-sides collection in a few years. Still makes you wonder if the lyric ideas that Brian winds up throwing away are still that good... how much amazing stuff could he churn out if he wasn't a perfectionist and just wanted to write as many songs as possible? =)
04:29 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Listening to both now, I prefer the bridge version. Sounds way good.

Like I said, I like the bridge (at least the ones on the live versions I've heard). I'd probably really enjoy it if there wasn't the third verse version to compare it to. I just really like that idea of that euphoric feeling you have at the end of a concert, couple with just knowing the person you're with so well you don't even need to speak to communicate. Its the "hopeless romantic" side of Gaslight at its best and its weird to go "This might be my favorite thing Brian has ever written... but he doesn't even want it in the final version of the song"

Its like getting a cake and there is this tasty chocolate frosting and its possibly the best cake you've eaten and the frosting is amazing, but then you see the same slice of cake with a strawberry or something and you can't help but wonder how much better the cake would've tasted with the strawberry. And you know the chef tried both and figured it was better without the strawberry and you really respect the chef's opinion and don't want to be rude about not getting the strawberry because the chef didn't actually make the cake for you he made the cake because he loves making cake and is just letting you have some because he is awesome like that so you're trying not to be disappointed you don't have it because the cake is still amazing, yet at the same time you can't shake that desire to have the strawberry. Wait what were we talking about? I got a little carried away there...
04:54 PM on 05/17/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Woah. Portland tickets are apparently already on sale without much of any fanfare:

http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/ho...ch_source=etix

Hope all the actual fans find this before the scalpers do. Now to go find a bus to actually get to portland and camp the crocodile website so I can get seattle tix as well.
09:32 PM on 05/17/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Seattle tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10: http://thecrocodile.com/events/4961655/gaslight-anthem

*wonders how many other people will be going to both shows* a little easier to go to the Portland one if you live in Seattle because you don't need to travel early monday morning... but still totally worth it if you can afford it*
01:22 PM on 05/29/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
http://www.billboard.com/news#/colum...07172752.story

45 made it to the Alternative Songs charts... there is hope for this world yet...

still 35 spots to go until number one, but I certainly think it can crack the top ten in a couple of weeks =)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos