AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

04:10 PM on 02/25/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
I love Gaslight, but I think they have yet to hit their peak. Bets are on, Handwritten will be their best so far.

I agree and I think this album is incredibly important not only because its their first on a major label but Brian has said in interviews that this one is pretty different lyrically, with less of the whole Springsteen-esque nostalgia stuff that they've been known for..So it's kind of a make or break album but I'm sure it will be fantastic.

(first post btw!)
12:41 PM on 04/26/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
It's Monday, so I assume it'll be BBC's streaming crap for the radio ... and then hit iTunes/Amazon on Tuesday, if it was going to. But I don't see it in their database yet, so I dunno.

If the 7" is being released the 22nd, doesn't that mean that the digital purchase should be available around then too? But yeah I hope that it is on Itunes or somewhere of good quality next week and not just a radio rip.
01:27 PM on 04/27/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old

Have you heard it yet? (If so, is it good?)
12:29 PM on 04/30/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
"but better sense says" <- makes sense.

Just listened again and it's definitely "better sense says", you really notice the pause between 'sense' and 'says', plus it ties together with the first verse ending with "all my friends say"

...And for some reason that just makes the lyrics so much better to me. wow.
03:32 PM on 05/10/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Quote me with any Gaslight Anthem questions ... I'm talking to Brian tomorrow.

Can you touch on any lyrical themes that run through Handwritten?

To Jason: When will this interview be posted?
05:33 PM on 05/10/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Quote me with any Gaslight Anthem questions ... I'm talking to Brian tomorrow.

In what ways did The Horrible Crowes impact your Gaslight songwriting? Lyrically speaking, will some songs on Handwritten be as dark and heavy as some of the content on Elsie?
07:18 PM on 05/14/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Typing up some answers now ... I'll post a few tidbits in here before the full thing tomorrow.

So, what would you say is the biggest difference on "Handwritten" compared to the band's past work?

I think, well, this time with Brendan we had enough time to really make it sound like we wanted it to. Sometimes when a new record's out people will come out and say something like, "so and so's overproduced" - and first of all - I didn't know that everybody and their mother has an engineering degree all of a sudden. And you'll have magazines doing the, "well, I like so and so's last album and the new one is just too over produced." And I kinda feel like calling up the magazine and saying, "Yeah, well - the article was great, but you know I don't really like the paper you printed this on." I mean, since when did all these people work the tape ops? Well, the thing that was really cool this time - if you listen to our records, they're all really attempting to be these big sounding records. Attempting to sound huge. And I think on this one - we actually had all of the opportunities to do it with the kind of equipment we were using and we had 'the guy' that, well, that's what he does: he makes things sound huge. Even if you have this quiet acoustic song, somehow he's still able to make it sound huge when he's done with it. So, you know, I think that was really the coolest and I guess most different thing about this record.

Great answer. Can't wait to read the full interview.
03:03 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Track listing confirmed. 11 songs. About 42 minutes long.

Advance just showed up. And I'm fanboying out like there's no tomorrow. Pardon me.

Ahhhh please tell me we will get your reactions soon!
03:35 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
They are clearly at the top of their game here.

More!!!! Tell us more!!!!

(Are you allowed to talk about the songs briefly, as in _________ is a huge aggressive song, ____ is a nice slow one etc.?)
03:48 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
I wasn't told anything about what I can and can't talk about. If someone tells me to not say anything about an album, or that I have it, I'll always abide. But it was just in my inbox, no one said anything ... so, figure I'm ok.

I don't want to spoil anything for people, because clearly this is the kind of thing you wanna hear for the first time without too many preconceived notions. I'll definitely answers a few questions though, but I'll spoiler tag them in this thread outta respect. So, if you quote me with a few - I'll try and respond.

Thanks. A few questions I've got for now:

Are there any songs that are just gut-punchingly emotional or sad like Here's Looking at You, Kid? (Can I take it that National Anthem is a slower song like that based on what you said?)

How does Biloxi Parish sound compared to the live versions that we've been listening to for over a year? Any distinct changes?

Given that the album is around 42 minutes long despite being only 11 songs, I assume there's some long tracks which (with a few exceptions) is kinda new to them...How do the long song(s) go over?

Lastly (for now hahaha) what are 2 or 3 songs that you would put up against any of Brian's top songs, strictly from a lyrical staindpoint.
04:14 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
That one's great. I need more time with it to really dive into the lyrics. A few ones that stuck out to me that were like, "oh, fuck, yeah, that's how I feel for sure." And that has an emotional impact on me.

Honestly I only listened to like one live version of it because I didn't want to ruin myself on it before the studio version, it reminded me of the live version but the intro and outro had more punch.

4 over 4 minutes. one that hits 5 minutes. the 5 minute song is awesome. just awesome.

handwritten (second single??), mulholland drive, too much blood.

Sounds awesome. Any really dark songs? Was a little surprised when I saw Mulholland Drive as a title.
04:36 PM on 05/15/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Album feels dark. In a good way.

Ok, these are the last few for now, i swear! (Feels so good to know that the album actually exists and is being listened to, haha)

Are there still a lot of vintage Fallon motifs and reoccurring terms (tomb, tattoos, etc.)

Is there anything that struck you lyrically as very different than something they've done before? Anything that surprised you with how edgy it was or something?

Lastly, I'm a sucker for any time Brian 'howls' in live videos or songs, such as in the beginning of 45...Any more grunts and growls to look forward to? hahaha
07:05 PM on 05/16/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Biloxi Parish was great! Jason, from what you could tell was that the same version of the lyrics as the studio version? They've played around with the bridge but that sounded like the best yet.
09:22 AM on 05/17/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
Amazing write-up... And reading that quote towards the end gave chills... What song is that from?
10:46 AM on 05/25/12 
User Info.
eagles1139
Male - 20 Years Old
"45" is my least favorite. Maybe cause it's the opening track and I've heard it a million times ... current favorites are either "Handwritten" or "Mae" or "Too Much Blood" -- can't pick one.

Brian has talked about some songs being really personal and songs about stuff in his life he never has felt comfortable writing about before..What songs instantly wowed you with how personal and clearly about his life they were?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos