AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

07:14 AM on 07/18/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
wow can i not wait to see them at the middle east in boston on sunday night....place is sooo tiny, can't believe they are playing there, should definitely be at house of blues. going to be amazing!
12:19 PM on 07/18/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
I'll be there, it's my first Gaslight show! I really wanna get up to the front as close to the band as possible. How many people does the middle east hold?

Nice! Dude, I can't wait...Middle East supposedly holds about 550, but I bet there will be about 600 people in there, minimum. Expect a tight, sweaty night, haha. Gonna be amazing. I want as many Handwritten songs as possible.
07:39 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
After multiple listens, I think I'd give this an 8/10. Maybe not a classic, but very solid. While Fallon is a top-notch songwriter lyrically, 4 full-lengths (and Elsie) in, I'm hoping he hasn't peaked musically. I said this earlier, but it often sounds like he's writing the same songs over and over again, even just within Handwritten itself. Still, the parts that are good are really, really good, and everything just sounds so slick and beautiful, it's hard not to fall in love with this.

Would you mind explaining that point a little bit more? Not sure I see him writing the same songs over and over again.
08:27 AM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
I can definitely see that being a criticism of his lyrics, which, while great, don't have the widest thematic variety. That doesn't bother me personally though. As a musician, however, it's almost astounding to hear how much they use the VI-IV-I-V chord progression (the first part of the chorus of "45," for instance), and, on Handwritten at least, how often it's in the key of Bb. I guess it's comfortable and sort of their trademark at this point, and it's definitely not something that turns me off from listening to them, but as a criticism, it certainly has some basis.

Hmm. I am so far from being a musician that I never pick up on stuff like that.
06:25 AM on 07/23/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
Saw them at the Middle East in Cambridge last night...Great show, so cool to see them in such a tiny venue. They played Mulholland Drive for the first time live.
07:00 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
So.... went to the show last night. I've seen them five times before but this was without a doubt the best one.. played 8 of the songs off of the new record, Songs For Teenagers, Dave Hause came out for American Slang, they even threw in some Dave Matthews haha...
  1. Mae Play Video
  2. The '59 Sound Play Video
  3. 45 Play Video
  4. Old White Lincoln Play Video
  5. Howl Play Video
  6. Casanova, Baby! Play Video
  7. Handwritten Play Video
  8. I'da Called You Woody, Joe Play Video
  9. Angry Johnny and the Radio Play Video
  10. Here Comes My Man Play Video
  11. Film Noir Play Video
  12. Mulholland Drive Play Video
  13. The Diamond Church Street Choir Play Video
  14. keepsake Play Video
  15. The Navesink Banks Play Video
  16. Here's Looking at You, Kid Play Video
  17. too much blood Play Video
  18. Encore:
  19. Songs for Teenagers Play Video
    (Fake Problems cover)
  20. Great Expectations Play Video
  21. Seņor and the Queen Play Video
  22. The Patient Ferris Wheel Play Video
  23. Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis? Play Video
  24. Wooderson Play Video
  25. Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts Play Video
  26. American Slang Play Video
  27. The Backseat Play Video

Holy shit. I saw them Sunday night in Boston, and it was amazing - but 8 songs off Handwritten? Opening with Mae? I would have came in my pants.
10:50 AM on 08/06/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
We are happy to announce these US shows in the Northeast. A pre-sale for 45 RPM Club members starts this Wednesday August 8th and tickets go on sale to the general public this Friday August 10th.
Mon Nov 26 – Boston – House Of Blues
Tues Nov 27 – Philadelphia – Electric Factory
Weds Nov 28 – NYC – Terminal 5
Weds Nov 28 – NYC – Terminal 5
Sun Dec 2 – Washington DC - 9:30 Club
Mon Dec 3 – Washington DC – 9:30 Club
11:42 AM on 11/26/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
Gaslight doing a live acoustic show over at Boston.com right now. Just started a few minutes ago:

http://www.boston.com/ae/radio/featu...ve_in_the_lab/
06:36 AM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
Gaslight in Boston at House of Blues last night was simply amazing. I've been to so many countless shows, this will go down as one of the best, easily. Sound was great, they were in an awesome mood, having a blast, 26 songs! Every song off Handwritten but National Anthem, but they played Blue Dahlia too. Look at this set. They played a song called Halloween for the first time.

Mae
The '59 Sound
The Diamond Church Street Choir
Handwritten
Here Comes My Man
Miles Davis and the Cool
Desire
Biloxi Parish
Angry Johnny and the Radio
Too Much Blood
Halloween
(Premiere: First time ever)
Film Noir
Howl
State of Love and Trust
(Pearl Jam cover)
The Queen of Lower Chelsea
The Patient Ferris Wheel
Here's Looking at You, Kid
Mulholland Drive
Great Expectations

Encore:
She Loves You
American Slang
Keepsake
Blue Dahlia
The Backseat
02:04 PM on 09/13/13 
User Info.
onthereg
Male - 30 Years Old
I think it all just depends when you catch Fallon having a bad night. Last year in Boston at the Middle East, he scolded the audience for crowd surfing. Now I HATE crowd surfing, but his tone came off as really condescending. Some nights he lets it go, other nights if he's in a bad mood, he just goes on a mini rant. Then he gets back into being the amazing front man that he is and all is forgotten seconds later. Definitely something I have noticed though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos