Male
Orphans is so so so good.
08:52 AM on 04/20/10 
User Info.
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
Maldegem/Belgium
Male
Goddamit I don't know how I feel about this album. This is by far my favorite band at the moment but I'm not convinced after seven listens. 'Stay Lucky' & 'The Spirit Of Jazz' are the ones that comes the closest to The 59' sound, but some songs are just boring. It's weird, I miss sometimes the passion in his voice that was so great on the previous records. Lyrics such as 'I still love the way smile, I still love the ocean' aren't found either. And it's kinda strange that "We did it when we where young' is my favorite song. But I'm not gonna give up. It's certainly not bad at all, maybe my expectations were too high.
12:09 PM on 04/21/10 
User Info.
ilovesofie
Maldegem/Belgium
Male
Actually. I was finally able to listen to the record today. And is it just me...Or does the title track sound much better within the context of the record? For some reason it makes me feel like a movie is about to start.

Or something. That sounded better in my head.

I think you're dead on. The album's biggest flaw (in terms of retaining certain fans) is that it has a "classic" sound. They've slowed their sound down considerably from the last record. And in a weird way, that takes away some of the originality. And the urgency. It essentially sounds like they traded in Bruce Springsteen for Johnny Rivers. Haha.

But as I've said before--it's all about expectations. And when a band has made a career of referencing old-time rock n' roll, soul music, et cetra...This record was bound to happen sooner or later. If you expected for this album to make you feel the same way as The '59 Sound did (and that record bowled you the fuck over--as it did a few people in this thread upon first listen) I can see there being some disappointment.

The whole album sounds like a slowed down, spread out version of Senor and the Queen to me. Not a bad thing. Sort of what I figured it would be. And I'm pleased as punch that the lyrics feel more "real" this time around. Lyrically, this album is Brian's best work to date in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree with you. I just expected something else. My favorite part is at the ending of Orpheans and that's the hardest part. I don't really like the blues driven parts of the record, and that's all what the first half is like. Maybe that's why I was a bit dissapointed. But still, it's an amzing record and it keep's getting better!
04:31 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
ilovesofie
Maldegem/Belgium
Male
That is here in MN as well. I have never listened to either.

I didn't know Bouncing Souls had so many albums. There is no way I can catch up.

Check Anchors Aweigh from the Bouncing Souls, best punk rock record ever made in my book
08:46 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
ilovesofie
Maldegem/Belgium
Male
I think the whole run of Hopeless Romantic, How I Spent My Summer Vacation, and Anchors Aweigh is just fantastic. Those are three of the best punk albums I've ever heard. I love the Souls and all of their discography, but if someone were only sort of interested in getting into them, they really would be fine just listening to those three records.

True, although I would replace Hopeless Romantic with The Gold Record, cause that's my second favorite Souls album.
06:51 AM on 07/13/14 
User Info.
ilovesofie
Maldegem/Belgium
Male
Can't wait for this album. But here is an opninion. Is it weird that I would put Sink or Swim above Handwritten? People don't really talk about that record when it comes to The Gaslight Anthem discography but I would still rank it second out of their four albums, after the 59' sound. It's such a perfect punkrock record but I think it always get overlooked because the rest of their albums are so different. Not one song I don't like on that record.
06:03 AM on 08/26/14 
User Info.
ilovesofie
Maldegem/Belgium
Male
Stay Vicious is one of my favorite tracks, weird that everybody is ranking it so low.

1. 1000 Years
2. Helter Skeleton
3. Underneath The Ground
4. Dark Places
5. Stay Vicious
6. Get Hurt
7. Ain't that A Shame
8. Stray Paper
9. Rollin and Tumblin
10.Red Violins
11. Selected Poems
12. Break Your Heart

If I replace Break Your Heart with Have Mercy, this would be my second favorite album from TGA. Now it's really close with American Slang for the second place. Absolutely love it though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos